2003 Explorer XLT - new owner :)

By popular demand!
Stafurn
I'm new, be nice!

2003 Explorer XLT - new owner :)

Unread post by Stafurn » May 24th, 2010, 10:58 pm

Hi folks, I'm a Perthie, just bought a 2003 Explorer at the hail auctions and picked her up this morning. Looking for hints, tips, reviews, insights :) I used to drive a Nissan Navara, but I've been in a corolla for the last 6 months, so the Explorer feels absolutely MASSIVE! :D
Lucky for me it was pre-approved so its on the road and all shiny in its new plates. I'm liking the feel so far, but the drivers seat seems to lean to the right a bit, which is a little uncomfortable. Is that something I can fix with the seat adjustment?
Also, cruise control light comes on but when I hit set its not engaging. It got a bit wet in the yard so I'm wondering if thats affected it or if its been unhooked. Any ideas?
I'm a little unsure about the gas conversion, someone told me they're not recommended for it, does anyone have one thats gas converted? Can you tell me how it goes?

So yeah, this is me saying hello, an babbling about my new car! (really excited, this is the newest car I've owned and I got it for a REALLY good price!)

Miriam from Perth

stoney1983
Been here a while

Unread post by stoney1983 » May 24th, 2010, 11:30 pm

I too own an 03 explorer V8, Its great for carting the kids and a big comfortable car but by christ its expensive to repair, we just had to put a new gearbox in and the quote was $6000 from ford, luckily my uncles a ford mechanic and we got it for $4500. Great car plenty of grunt, but lack of ground clearance has seen many rocks scraping the bash plates.

stoney1983
Been here a while

Unread post by stoney1983 » May 24th, 2010, 11:37 pm

Our cruise control light was coming on too but failing to set, it ended up being the brake fluid level sensor was faulty, and because the car couldn't work out the level of the fluid it shuts off the cruise control as a safety precaution.

Stafurn
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Stafurn » May 26th, 2010, 8:57 pm

Thanks!
I'm getting used to it now, took it through a mudhole last night so she has a lovely spray of mud up each side :D

Got a huge shock when I filled it up though! I had no idea the tank was so big. :drink:

Really looking forward to taking her out for a drive in the country now. Oh, before I forget, do you know where I can get cheap parts? I need a drivers side rear tail light. Mine is cracked.

Cheers!

Aussie_1959
Avid Poster

Unread post by Aussie_1959 » May 27th, 2010, 9:03 am

ive had one since Feb 2005 . its 04 built bought it brand new and had ONE warranty issue that everytime i went backwards the auto 4x4 cuts in and it went bang bang bang it took ford 3 years to figure out that in front of the diff is a device that workd like ABS and that was faulty in the mean time they thought it was trans oil so they put new oil in it plus an additive the additive blew the seals on the trans so they replaced them BUT didnt clean the box out properly so 6 month later same thing again also because of all the banging it killed the diff fist time new bearings then 3 months later the whole diff as it chipped the thooth of one of the planatary gears the car was one day out of warrenty when i bought it in mostly bacause they were busy and so was i so ford said sorry its out of warrenty i think i called they woman at ford custumer service every name under the sun so she broke down and cryed and put me onto her manager i explained it to him and he said ohh ok wat we will do is pay for all the parts and you the labour giving no choise but to take the deal .. anyways when i bought the car in and the dealer said its this and this hourly total cost to me $386 as a warrenty price so about 1/2 the cost so they put it back together and no change to the car. by this time even the dealer was frustraded with the car so they bought an exploer and took one part at a time and put it on my car and my part on theirs till they found out it was this ABS thingy my diff howled like hell so it ebded up with a total rebuild but wen i got it back it was all good. he dealer told ford it was a car issue from day one so the 386 i paid was now credidt so ford sad ok we will give u a service lucky for me it was the 90k which cost nearly $600 so i got some satisfaction and the best bit was the woman i called every name under the sun said sorry for being so iggnerant and not hearing what i had to say hehehe. 18 months later the trans went for 6000 ....but in saying that i liker the car its nice to drive and powerfull we dont realy take it offroad as my work car does that this is my 2nd exploerer i had an 97 model 170k and the only thing i ever replaced was an oxegen sensor .. thou ther current one has a lil prob now in the engin but ill start a new post about it maybe someone can help .....sorry for it being so long
PX Ranger XLS TJM Bullbar,Rearbar,Sidesteps,Snorkle,Winch hillspeed speed Monitor, Scangauge2, RedarcBCDC 1240 120amp Thumper AGM battery, Flexiglass Canopy, and lots more to come lift rubber draws all the usual crap

au futura
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by au futura » July 11th, 2010, 4:49 pm

Hey Miriam,my Mrs drives a 2002 UT Explorer and absolutely loves it.We have had it for about 4 years.Its a pleasure to drive, and i would gladly swap it with my falcon but she wont have it.Its a V6 & has been on Lpg for nearly 2 years 60,000 kms & has never been a problem.It was converted by EZY Gas in Blackburn Victoria.It is a gas injection system & cost $4,600 to install,of which the government paid $2,000 so wasnt to bad.Have only seen about 4 other later model Explorers on gas.It was using about 13 litres per 100kms on petrol & using about 15 litres per 100kms on gas.Have fun with your new toy,they are a great vehicle to drive. Mark from Yea.

Return to “Explorer”