Grand Vitara Camber adj, does it make a difference?

big orse
Been here a while

Grand Vitara Camber adj, does it make a difference?

Unread post by big orse » April 23rd, 2009, 5:13 pm

Has anyone had to put camber adjustment bolts on their Grand Vitara? I had a wheel alignment done and it made no difference at all. however, the car selection on the wheel alignment print out was 2001 - 2003 Grand Vitara (hope they have the same values)

The shop now want to fit camber bolts at a charge of $250.

I have rung around for a camber kit (inc camber bolts) and no one has them, so I am a little suss about what they are wanting to do?!

02-SR5
Need to get out more

Unread post by 02-SR5 » April 23rd, 2009, 9:12 pm

Mate,

sounds like they are trying to rip you off. Has it been lifted or played with. If not, then why would it need camber bolts.

I had a 03 model, it had to have camber bolts. My wifes 2008 model doesnt need any (same as an 07 model).

big orse
Been here a while

Unread post by big orse » April 23rd, 2009, 10:40 pm

The only mods on this little beast is a set of 18x8 ROH Vapors with 255/50/18 tyres. The readout indicates the camber for rear and front to be out. The worst value is rear left wheel at -1 02'

jmzuk
Getting to know the place

Unread post by jmzuk » April 25th, 2009, 8:45 am

I have just put a 2" lift in mine and had to put Camber bolts in. I got these from Pedders Suspension and they cost $115, I had to put them in myself and then the 4 wheel alignment was $110.

If there is no lift you shouldn't need them, if it did then the factory would have put them in.

Cheers
-----------------------------------------
08 Grand Vitara, 2" lift and Alloy Bash plates, Rock Sliders coming soon, wanting some All-Terrains.

ODA1
Been here a while

Unread post by ODA1 » April 25th, 2009, 1:13 pm

Hi

i have heard of some GVs needing camber bolts as the alignment was poor and the car dealers said thats just the way it is

Hey JMZUK
saw you are in brisbane and looking at sliders

New Grand Vitara Sliders - Outdoor Auto

catch ya

tim
font of all Suzuki knowledge as another Member has said lol........

murcod
Been here a while

Unread post by murcod » April 28th, 2009, 9:12 pm

If it's all negative camber (eg like the -1 02' you posted above) then I wouldn't worry too much- that will actually help improve cornering grip. Just keep an eye on tyre wear on the insides of the tyres.

People with lifts use them to correct positive camber which stuffs the handling and tyre wear. ;)
David.

offroadjack
Part of the furniture

Unread post by offroadjack » April 28th, 2009, 9:21 pm

have a look at your wheel bearing mate. the 07's for some reason ***** the bearing witch will get the allignment out of whack big time! jack up the lhs rear and feel if there is play on it... and trust me, you'll feel it when the bearing is gone! the wheel should just about fall off!
[b]should change my name in "ROLLOVAJACK"[/b]

offroadjack
Part of the furniture

Unread post by offroadjack » April 28th, 2009, 9:38 pm

yours is the independant rear isn't it? you don't need a cam. bolt if it's not lifted! left hand r. bearing collapses on them.
[b]should change my name in "ROLLOVAJACK"[/b]

big orse
Been here a while

Unread post by big orse » April 29th, 2009, 7:57 am

Thanks for your replies. Checked the Left hand rear wheel bearing and no play at all.

big orse
Been here a while

Unread post by big orse » April 29th, 2009, 10:09 am

jmzuk
Thanks for your reply. You wouldn't happen to have a part number or what year model GV the bolts suit as I rang Pedders in Midland(Perth) and they don't have anything listed. WA Suspension have a kit to suit a 98 Grand Vitara but not sure if they will fit.

Was it a pretty easy job fitting the bolts?

jmzuk

Unread post by jmzuk » May 7th, 2009, 10:11 am

Sorry for the late reply, damn computer probs,

The Camber bolts I got are a Pedders product #81260.

I got them from Pedders at Moorooka in Qld, They had just recently done a lift on an 07 model, so they do know they fit.

Hope this helps, Cheers

Hi ODA1,

Sorry, I already have some Rocky Road super sliders, but I have to modify them so that they bolt to the exsisting captive nuts under the GV, for some strange reason they designed them so you have to drill holes in the sills and chassis rails.

Not to comfortable drilling holes in the chassis especially on a new car.

Cheers
08 Grand Vitara, 2" lift and Alloy Bash plates, Rock Sliders coming soon, wanting some All-Terrains.

ODA1
Been here a while

Unread post by ODA1 » May 7th, 2009, 1:34 pm

no worries

i keep telling people i have the only bolt up set but they keep buying the rocky road ones and then going OH! i have to drill the chassie :crazy:
oh well

i love GVs and would love to see a pic of your truck as it sounds great

tim
font of all Suzuki knowledge as another Member has said lol........

big orse
Been here a while

Unread post by big orse » May 9th, 2009, 8:40 am

Thanks jmzuk.

big orse
Been here a while

Unread post by big orse » May 13th, 2009, 12:23 am

Just an update for everyone. Apparently there is a tech alert on the Grand Vitaras for this issue however cos Suzuki are a bunch of moron fuckers the mechanics told me Suzuki wouldn't warrant my car cos it has the 18 inch blingers on it. So to cut a long story short I had the camber bolts fitted and the GV's steering is perfect once again.

The best thing about Suzuki not covering the warranty is I now no longer have to pay the tossers $400 plus for services (oil and filter change) cos my warranty is void.

As I was due for a 24 month service, I just saved myself $100 cos the camber bolts cost $248 fitted including wheel alignment and the service I just did myself cost me $52.

If your late model GV steering is not right for no apparent reason, get onto your Suzuki dealer.

jmzuk

Unread post by jmzuk » May 18th, 2009, 10:36 am

Hi Big Orse,

Just curious as to which mechanics told you Suzuki wouldn't warranty your car because of the 18s you have on it? Dealerships sell brand new cars with aftermarket rims on them.

Just doesn't sound right to me, Have you spoken to suzuki australia?

I worked in a Dealership as a mechanic for years and never heard anything like that before, generally if you have modified a vehicle under a warranty they won't cover the modified parts or any part that may be effected by it but anything else should be covered.

I would ring up Suzuki Australia just to double check.

Cheers

Return to “Grand Vitara (2005+)”