Stock 2008 Grand Vitara Off Road Capability

murcod
Been here a while

Unread post by murcod » November 10th, 2008, 6:41 pm

Tim buys them from a place in Taiwan (IIRC) - so he doesn't make the holes in them himself.
David.

ODA1
Been here a while

Unread post by ODA1 » November 12th, 2008, 11:52 am

Hi all

yes i import the bash plates for the new GV so i dont have a say in the shape but the sliders are made here and im off to the metal shop now to pick up the transfer case plate prototype for the diesel then off to suzuki dealer ship :crazy:

i will post pics soon

Tim
eBay Australia Shop - Outdoor Auto: Offroad, Lifestyle, Touring
font of all Suzuki knowledge as another Member has said lol........

Magnat
Avid Poster

Unread post by Magnat » November 13th, 2008, 5:39 am

Holes would help stop moisture build up under the plate.. I would also think it would assist in keeping the air flow under the car rather then trapping the heat...
2002 Suzuki XL-7

BRUTE
Here and there

gv

Unread post by BRUTE » November 13th, 2008, 8:19 am

We have taken my wifes 2007 v6 auto GV to Fraser 3 times now, the auto v6 eats up the soft sand driving but it's down fall is it likes to belly out alot, we ended up getting bogged (not our fault) as soon as the GV stopped in soft sand (indian head track) she went straight down. First thing we did to it when we got back was replace the splash plate (not bash plate) with a heavy duty alloy one and put in bigger springs. Doing this made a huge difference, we'll end up putting bigger tyres on when the current ones die. Other than that it was great, we drove most inland tracks without any dramas, just make sure you carry a snatch strap and know where the recovery points are.

BSP4WD
Been here a while

Unread post by BSP4WD » May 28th, 2010, 10:06 am

Hi all

I actually have a few questions in regards to the GV Diesel 2010.

I'm about to purchase one for my business. It will be used a good 14hrs a day do a lot of road driving, but will also need to drive up and down beaches and construction sites, but most of all I need it to have great fuel economy hence why I've gone for it over dual cabs such as D-Max and Navaras.

Because of what I do and what I need it for, I do need a bull bar, winch, driving lights, dual battery, snorkel and some decent rubber (I'm a BFG AT fan) with wheels (will go down to 16" instead of the 17" they come with)

I have red and searched a fair bit before making this post but I do have a few questions which are;-

1.) Has anyone fitted the ARB Delux bar, lights and winch to the front of their GV'S? If so did you notice much of a drop in the front ride height?

2.) Has anyone just fitted BFG 225/70 16's to their GV's, and if so did you have any tyre issues at all?

3.) Has anyone fitted a dual battery set-up?

4.) Has anyone fitted an onboard air compressor?

5.) Is there a snorkel on the market (noticed ODA1's photo)? Safari tell me they will be releasing one sometime this year, TJM said they don't have one.

6.) Has anyone done anything with power upgrades? I know that both the GV Diesel and X-trail use the same Renault 1.9 TD, but the X-trail has an extra 32kw's and 60Nm of torque. Anyone been able to get similar from their GV's?

7.) How "water tight" are they doing water crossings?

8.) Any little issues or helpful tips or hints anyone can advise me of?

I know there is a sever lack of bull bars on the market for these. I contacted TJM head office yesterday and advised them the only bars on the market were really the ECB bars (which look horrid) and the ARB delux. The gent I spoke to said that they were happy to make them, it was the airbag testing time was the issue. Fingers crossed they do make a nice alloy bar like their T15's soon:D

Thanks for your time and help in advance :)

ODA1
Been here a while

Unread post by ODA1 » May 28th, 2010, 8:54 pm

hi

i will try and answer your questions

we did our own alloy winch bar and winch for a customer, he had lifted springs ( pedders 40mm ) in that sagged 20mm on the first day, so we supplied him our extreme springs that gave 30mm more lift so we also gave him 20mm spacers for the rear.

i have seen a ARB bar drop king springs by 10mm on the first day and he had no winch.

2 - for size the GV came out with a 225.75.16 tyre, so its not an issue, a 235.75.16 is good as you keep your width and its fine.

3 - i have not seen one yet but i think it would be a case of a battery box in the back.

4 - have not seen one yet.

5 - only been one for the last three years - New Grand Vitara Snorkel - Outdoor Auto

6 - i know they can do a chip for diesel but after that i can say a snorkel actually makes a difference

7 - i have only heard a couple people getting water in the diffs due the diff breathers but after that you have to ditch the front airbox scoop.

tips - well the first time you hit the beach the plastic engine under guard will rip off. the towbar is crap and very low so you will need to lift it

my 04 GV was plush to me but the current GV rides so much better.

i have driven a couple of diesels, they were slow of the line but once the turbo kicked in it chased down my GV 04 2.5L very quickly.

hope that helps, i would love to see one on an construction site, i would like to supply a mine ready GV down the track.

PS all my comments are biased
tim
Outdoor Auto

dkguffe
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by dkguffe » July 13th, 2010, 10:19 pm

BSP4WD wrote:Hi all

I actually have a few questions in regards to the GV Diesel 2010.

I'm about to purchase one for my business. It will be used a good 14hrs a day do a lot of road driving, but will also need to drive up and down beaches and construction sites, but most of all I need it to have great fuel economy hence why I've gone for it over dual cabs such as D-Max and Navaras.

Because of what I do and what I need it for, I do need a bull bar, winch, driving lights, dual battery, snorkel and some decent rubber (I'm a BFG AT fan) with wheels (will go down to 16" instead of the 17" they come with)

I have red and searched a fair bit before making this post but I do have a few questions which are;-

1.) Has anyone fitted the ARB Delux bar, lights and winch to the front of their GV'S? If so did you notice much of a drop in the front ride height?

2.) Has anyone just fitted BFG 225/70 16's to their GV's, and if so did you have any tyre issues at all?

3.) Has anyone fitted a dual battery set-up?

4.) Has anyone fitted an onboard air compressor?

5.) Is there a snorkel on the market (noticed ODA1's photo)? Safari tell me they will be releasing one sometime this year, TJM said they don't have one.

6.) Has anyone done anything with power upgrades? I know that both the GV Diesel and X-trail use the same Renault 1.9 TD, but the X-trail has an extra 32kw's and 60Nm of torque. Anyone been able to get similar from their GV's?

7.) How "water tight" are they doing water crossings?

8.) Any little issues or helpful tips or hints anyone can advise me of?

I know there is a sever lack of bull bars on the market for these. I contacted TJM head office yesterday and advised them the only bars on the market were really the ECB bars (which look horrid) and the ARB delux. The gent I spoke to said that they were happy to make them, it was the airbag testing time was the issue. Fingers crossed they do make a nice alloy bar like their T15's soon:D

Thanks for your time and help in advance :)
I've got a 2006 2.7 with the ARB deluxe bar and a 9500lb Winch.

When fitting the winch, I only saw a 10mm drop of the front, not a lot more as stated by ODA1.

I'm running 245/70/17's with no problems. Before fitting the bar, they would scrub the front while turned completely either side, but only when turning hard at speed. A normal U turn on a narrow road would go without a scrub. I've heard from others that this scrub can be easy fixed with a hot air gun on the inner guards, but I didnt care to do anything about it, since I nearly never would hear it.

I've also got a 2" Rocky Road lift on it, with the stock shocks and springs in front, and Boss adjustables in the back. Stock springs all around. No problems with scrubbing, I get full flex all around, without any touch of the tires to guards etc.

I installed the little blue ARB compressor on the right strut tower in the engine bay. I fitted a 2.5l tank under the bracket that hold the OEM sidesteps. You could fit a 5l tank there if you wanted to.

Many snorkels are available, some are the "hidden" type that almost doesnt show along the A pillar. These you will have to import yourself from Taiwan, but they are readily available.

I will start looking at dual battery setup soon. Only one kit is available and its about 700 AUD complete, and it does NOT have gell cells, only typical UPS type sealed lead acid cells. It will fit in the little compartment in the back of the car boot. I don't like it, so I wanna make something else.

In regards to water, I would recommend looking into yourself. I know for the early (2005/2006 maybe even 2007) the breathers for the diffs are extended up, so you're fine to go wheel deep, on the newer ones, the hoses are short, and you will need to extend them up.

ODA1
Been here a while

Unread post by ODA1 » July 16th, 2010, 11:09 am

dkguffe wrote:I've got a 2006 2.7 with the ARB deluxe bar and a 9500lb Winch.

When fitting the winch, I only saw a 10mm drop of the front, not a lot more as stated by ODA1.

I'm running 245/70/17's with no problems. Before fitting the bar, they would scrub the front while turned completely either side, but only when turning hard at speed. A normal U turn on a narrow road would go without a scrub. I've heard from others that this scrub can be easy fixed with a hot air gun on the inner guards, but I didnt care to do anything about it, since I nearly never would hear it.

I've also got a 2" Rocky Road lift on it, with the stock shocks and springs in front, and Boss adjustables in the back. Stock springs all around. No problems with scrubbing, I get full flex all around, without any touch of the tires to guards etc.

I installed the little blue ARB compressor on the right strut tower in the engine bay. I fitted a 2.5l tank under the bracket that hold the OEM sidesteps. You could fit a 5l tank there if you wanted to.

Many snorkels are available, some are the "hidden" type that almost doesnt show along the A pillar. These you will have to import yourself from Taiwan, but they are readily available.

I will start looking at dual battery setup soon. Only one kit is available and its about 700 AUD complete, and it does NOT have gell cells, only typical UPS type sealed lead acid cells. It will fit in the little compartment in the back of the car boot. I don't like it, so I wanna make something else.

In regards to water, I would recommend looking into yourself. I know for the early (2005/2006 maybe even 2007) the breathers for the diffs are extended up, so you're fine to go wheel deep, on the newer ones, the hoses are short, and you will need to extend them up.
i stated i saw a 10mm drop on kings and a 20mm drop on pedders not your set up.

3 types of snorkel are available

Safari supply a snorkel

Safari Snorkel System for the Suzuki Vitara

Outdoor Auto is the official supplier of the other two

your GV sounds very nice, any pics :D

Brucemacca
I'm new, be nice!

Re: Stock 2008 Grand Vitara Off Road Capability

Unread post by Brucemacca » June 26th, 2011, 4:17 pm

Ironman do a 40mm lift kit that is similar to ODA's - I have this fitted and it fixed the 10mm drop of the front when I fitted the ARB bar (without winch). I have the Safari snorkel fitted to the 2.4 L Petrol, have noticed that the engine seems to rev a little better. Will be looking at the breathers, talked to the local dealer and was advised that they are a tube with a loop back drop.

Will be looking at a winch soon and ODA's underbody protection pack.
I have done a bit of fire trail work, even in the wet (on stock tyres) without an issue.
2009 Suzuki GV3 2.4L - 2" Lift, ARB Bar, HID lights and Snorkel.

ekul182
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by ekul182 » June 27th, 2011, 9:25 am

Brucemacca do you have any photos as this is exactly what i was thinking of doing with mine.
So the standard Ironman kit fixed the bar sag or did you have to request a stiffer front spring.

Brucemacca
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Brucemacca » June 27th, 2011, 7:14 pm

Have tried to upoload the photo's - but my shitty internet connection fails.
The ARB bar has good photo's on their website.
So does the safari website that ODA has a link to.

Hope this helps somewhat.
2009 Suzuki GV3 2.4L - 2" Lift, ARB Bar, HID lights and Snorkel.

Return to “Grand Vitara (2005+)”