Stock 2008 Grand Vitara Off Road Capability

Suzlander
I'm new, be nice!

Stock 2008 Grand Vitara Off Road Capability

Unread post by Suzlander » September 2nd, 2008, 12:08 pm

Hey,

Just purchased a 2008 Turbo Diesel Grand Vitara and am interested in doing some easy to moderate off road use in the bush and on the beach. I have done some limited 4wd before, however am keen to start doing some more things.

While I obviously won't be doing anything to hard in the stock GV, what is the cars off road capability in its stock form?

Secondly, what are some simple/effective upgrades to do to it first?

Thanks for any help!!!

cordie
Here and there

Unread post by cordie » September 2nd, 2008, 5:03 pm

my mate has the 2008 petrol model i have a 2001 GV XL7 we went to the barmah state forest some months ago to give it a workout we found it did not have enough clearance and also it got a bit wet so i spent a lot of time pulling him along with a snatch strap. the factory tyres are good on the road but no good off i have a set of cooper A/Ts and a 40mm lift on mine that makes all the difference but apart from that they are a great 4x4s. i would like to hear back from you to see how you go as i will be trading mine next year and would love some feedback on the diesel model. good luck mate

Magnat
Avid Poster

Unread post by Magnat » October 2nd, 2008, 8:52 pm

Vitara's have always been quiet achievers and see no reason why the new Model couldn't tackle the Fire trails..
Just check to see if they still offer protection in the right places like the transfer case..
Tyres would definately be a good upgrade...
My 1993 Vitara is bog stock (set of All-terrains and UHF) and has impressed me with just exactly where it will go. Check the Air intake on the New one and see what the safe wading depth is and you should be right...

If anyone is Interested this Link should take you to Suzuki Australias Page on the Diesel Vit
Suzuki Australia | Grand Vitara Diesel
2002 Suzuki XL-7

cac
Need to get out more

Unread post by cac » October 3rd, 2008, 10:07 pm

i reckon the GV is one of the better off road performers in the soft roader segment...if not the best off roader....the fully independent suspension does mean there isn't a lot of flex though....should do pretty well on the beach, and with some A/Ts, be alright for muddy fire trails...i'd be careful taking it over rocky terrain though....the clearance isn't anything special....
LN106 Hilux Project

http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=82487

ODA1
Been here a while

Unread post by ODA1 » October 7th, 2008, 12:33 pm

Gvs have always been good off road, they just need a lift, tyres and the new one needs a snorkel because the intake is behind the grill and bonnet.

Looked for pic of intake and only found this one with it removed and snorkel entering air box

as you can see the headlight is just in front of it

i have an 03 and i so want a diesel or the new 3.2L :thumb:
font of all Suzuki knowledge as another Member has said lol........

john utah
Here and there

Unread post by john utah » October 12th, 2008, 7:16 pm

hi Suzlander. I have also bought a little diesel gv and see lots of potential in them. Its already ok on tracks. Clearance is a worry. but there are reasonable 2 inch lifts around. Im positive.

murcod
Been here a while

Unread post by murcod » October 13th, 2008, 5:26 pm

A guy on Outerlimits has managed to break the front CV on his GV diesel. Didn't sound like he was doing anything silly or extreme in it.
David.

john utah
Here and there

Unread post by john utah » November 1st, 2008, 11:30 pm

fair call. we will see then I guess. hopefully factory issue otherwise this blog is wasted!

murcod
Been here a while

Unread post by murcod » November 2nd, 2008, 7:38 pm

Hopefully it was just a "one off". He did have slightly larger A/T tyres fitted, but that shouldn't cause a breakage by itself.

I reckon they'd be a good vehicle. I looked at the "new" model, but wanted 7 seats so ended up with an XL-7.
David.

Suzlander
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Suzlander » November 3rd, 2008, 2:00 pm

Thanks for your replies.

Have taken the GV out on the fire trails and was really impressed with how it went.

My only concern, as you guys have already pointed out, is the clearance. Not only the transfer case, but the exhaust hangs down quite low, and runs underneath the rear diff casing and is just asking to get squashed on a rock ledge.

Not sure if there is any solution to the exhaust being so low, but it is something to be mindful of.

ODA1
Been here a while

Unread post by ODA1 » November 5th, 2008, 12:17 pm

it protects the rear diff but it does go a little way to stop the exhaust beings squished compared to not having it

protects the trasnsfer case from being hit / its for the petrol and the diesel prototype is being bent up as we speak

the front plastic plate will rip or fall off if you look at it to long!!

Good luck with the build up, I would love a new gv and it would go hard!!
font of all Suzuki knowledge as another Member has said lol........

02-SR5
Need to get out more

Unread post by 02-SR5 » November 6th, 2008, 5:41 pm

Mate,

why do you put holes in your bash plates.

Suzlander
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Suzlander » November 7th, 2008, 12:28 pm

Hey ODA1,

When do you think your transfer case plate will be ready for the diesel?

grimbo
Need to get out more

Unread post by grimbo » November 7th, 2008, 1:27 pm

02-SR5 wrote:Mate,

why do you put holes in your bash plates.
I would guess to allow for easy cleaning of accumulated mud etc. Also if he had a dimple die they would reduce weight but more importantly add a lot of strength

02-SR5
Need to get out more

Unread post by 02-SR5 » November 8th, 2008, 7:23 pm

Grimbo,

How do holes make the bash plates stronger. I have seen bash plates with holes in them, the holes are there go guid big sticks and fallen branches up through the hole and into drive train components. Or even worse, the floor.

Why make armour with holes in it, sorry, I just understand the theory behind it.

Return to “Grand Vitara (2005+)”