06 Grand Vitara low range transfer case????

mutt59
Here and there

06 Grand Vitara low range transfer case????

Unread post by mutt59 » January 4th, 2015, 10:13 pm

Hi, I have recently bought my daughter a 1.6L Grand Vitara which had no low range. Does anyone know if a transfer box from another model would be able to be fitted. She would like to join us on our next planned trip across the Simmo and I thought the low range would make the little beast virtually unstoppable. I look forward to any ideas as these Suzuki's are new to me after a couple of Daihatsu's and currently a Hilux.
06 Hilux D4D

Mungrel
Part of the furniture

Re: 06 Grand Vitara low range transfer case????

Unread post by Mungrel » January 6th, 2015, 12:16 pm

Not sure if this one is low range also, being from an earlier model.
Couldn't hurt to ask these guys anyways:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Suzuki-Vitar ... 43cfbea23b
If it can't be fixed with duct tape or a hammer, It must be electrical
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=187&t=138912&hilit=mungrel%27
Photography Page: http://www.facebook.com/MungrelImages

When in doubt,

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » January 6th, 2015, 1:11 pm

What year/model is the GV you've got for your daughter?? Is it a LWB Wagon or one of the SWB jobbies?? I believe that the earlier SWB's got the 1.6l while the LWB's scored the 2.0l motor, altho that might have been just in the Vitara's, & not the GV's as well. Is it an Auto or Manual??
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

mutt59
Here and there

Unread post by mutt59 » January 11th, 2015, 9:38 am

Thanks for your reply Peter. It is a 2006 SWB Manual. I couldn't find any reference to them with only constant 4wd and no low range, but a friend in the car industry reckons they did bring in a range to compete with the other small SUV's but went back to the ones with transfer cases and low range. I was just wondering if I could pick up a transfer case from a similar model and fit it in. The mechanism to drive the second set of wheels appears to be attached to the gearbox as a transfer case would be. I also saw an old entry on the forum mentioning misfiring under load. Do you know if the E10 fuel might have something to do with this as changing to unleaded seems to have reduced the problem.
06 Hilux D4D

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » January 11th, 2015, 1:50 pm

E10 could certainly be the problem with the misfiring, altho generally running a few tanksful of the same fuel thru the engine will let the computer 'learn' how best to manage whichever fuel it is - but the older the vehicle is, the less scope in the computer to manage that sort of stuff!! However, there are quite a few vehicles out there that you really shouldn't EVER run E10 or higher in, their engines can die PDQ if you do!! Personally, I think E10 is just a fuel designed to destroy engines quicker & to kid credulous people into thinking they are saving money &/or doing something for the environment, but in reality, it does neither if you look into it anywhere past the pump price!! :irked:

With regards to the Transfer case, it might be worthwhile going & having a chat to your local Suzi service mob, they may have more insight into what actually goes on inside the transfer case. Some of those 'All-Wheel Drive' SUV's without low range, & even some of the 2WD SUV's that are the 'City' version of the AWD or 4WD version of that model are readily changed to All-Wheel Drive with Low Range by swapping the trans case or sometimes even just fitting the low range gearset into the existing casing!! I really don't know if your Suzi is one of them, but I've been quite surprised at the number of vehicles out there that can be changed!! So it's worth the ask, but you'd hafta find someone who's done it to your model or someone with access to the full parts list & workshop manual.

Good Luck! :thumb:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

mutt59
Here and there

Unread post by mutt59 » January 11th, 2015, 7:46 pm

Mungrel wrote:Not sure if this one is low range also, being from an earlier model.
Couldn't hurt to ask these guys anyways:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Suzuki-Vitar ... 43cfbea23b
Cheers mate, mine is the 06 model. I'm pretty sure they changed from 05 to 06 and went for the dial on the console rather than the second gear stick, but I will message them in case.
06 Hilux D4D

Return to “Grand Vitara (2005+)”