Blown Turbo - not covered by extended warranty!

evilc
I'm new, be nice!

Blown Turbo - not covered by extended warranty!

Unread post by evilc » March 26th, 2013, 12:49 pm

I own a Suzuki Grand Vitara, 4 years old, <50,00kms and purchased an extended warranty offered by the dealer. Car broke down last week, got it towed to the dealer to investigate. The turbo had blown and they quoted me $12,663.10 to fix it as the car was out of warranty and the extended warranty they sold me doesn’t cover the turbo :mad:

Aussie_Dan
Part of the furniture

Re: Blown Turbo

Unread post by Aussie_Dan » March 26th, 2013, 2:32 pm

Consumer laws now protect the consumer better than they used to.
From what I am led to believe, if you buy something that is not 'fit for purpose' or something 'does not last as long as it should reasonably be expected to', you may have some comeback.
4 years and less than 50,000km is NOT reasonable in my mind. Is the service history up to scratch, to back up any potential claims?
I would be speaking to the ACCC http://www.accc.gov.au/consumers to see if you have any come back to get the Vitara repaired at no cost to you.
You have nothing to lose by asking questions....
Good luck and keep us all posted with how you go.
Dan.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Blown Turbo - not covered by extended warranty!

Unread post by Peter Aawen » March 26th, 2013, 3:54 pm

Certainly ask the questions, but those extended warranties are pretty explicit as to what they do and don't cover, and it's all laid out in the document they gave you before you signed on; and for most people/vehicles, due to that they really aren't worth the paper they are written on, so no surprises there - you've done your dough on that bit!

And if you've driven the car for 4 years & right thru it's standard warranty period without any hassles then you probably won't get much joy in claiming it's 'not fit for purpose' either. :(

As Aussie says, you've got nothing to lose by asking the questions of the Dealer and if necessary the ACCC, but you aren't allowed to 'Name & Shame' either directly or by inference here on the Forum, so you need to avoid that! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Return to “Grand Vitara (2005+)”