4WD cut out at speed?

lil monster
Been here a while

4WD cut out at speed?

Unread post by lil monster » June 28th, 2011, 3:41 pm

Hi,
me and the Mrs are looking at buying a 2009-2010 GV, 2.4L automatic...
we have friends that have just bought a RAV4 and when the press their "lock" button it works, as soon as they hit 40K/HR it unlocks and continues....

i want to know, in the new GV's when you put the car in 4H-lock, 4L 4L-lock, what ever, at certain speeds does this "unlock" itself???

FURTHER: when you are in 4H-lock / 4L-lock and you 'esp off' saem question? does the esp re-engage at a certain speed?

i have done heaps of googling and heaps of other forum searches, as we don't own one to read the owners manual we don't know any one that owns one who actually uses it for 4WD of any sorts and these are a few things i would liek to know b43 buyign onee cause for 4WD to cut out at 40K/HR i'd go flumming NUTS!!!!

Si!!!

DJR96
Need to get out more

Re: 4WD cut out at speed?

Unread post by DJR96 » June 28th, 2011, 4:26 pm

Does make sense. The ESP isn't able to do anything when everything is locked up. So it's making the assumption that if you're able to do 40kmh+ you shouldn't really need anything locked up. Which is pretty much true.

With new vehicles now (or soon to be) mandated to have ESP in the ADR's, it gets priority use over the centre diff lock.
Cheers, Dave.
RCV Supertourer build:- [url]http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=36370[/url]

Shaker4x4
Need to get out more

Unread post by Shaker4x4 » June 28th, 2011, 4:36 pm

DJR96 wrote:Does make sense. The ESP isn't able to do anything when everything is locked up. So it's making the assumption that if you're able to do 40kmh+ you shouldn't really need anything locked up. Which is pretty much true.

With new vehicles now (or soon to be) mandated to have ESP in the ADR's, it gets priority use over the centre diff lock.
ESC??? New Toyotas will engage the ESC at around 50kmhr if you disabled it. I suppose they consider that above 40 and you have traction. I agree. Not good for gravel roads though? Ouch? I would think that 4wd is no longer needed on gravel roads though due to ESC keeping the vehicle under control...

DJR96
Need to get out more

Unread post by DJR96 » June 28th, 2011, 7:31 pm

ESC, yes, my bad...

It shouldn't disengage 4WD at speed, just the centre diff lock.
Cheers, Dave.
RCV Supertourer build:- [url]http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=36370[/url]

lil monster
Been here a while

Unread post by lil monster » June 29th, 2011, 7:39 am

so IN the Suzi GV, this does not cut out at all then?? or it does cut in? as if i like the beach, the RaV4 would be next to useless on the beach? at above 40k/hr cause then the traction control would kick in and ruin all your driving.. lol
so i know that on stockton or at some local beaches you can safely do above 40k/hr... if i do this with 4WD engaged and the esp off in the suzi will all this disengage at speed???

lol si!!!

GV88
Avid Poster

Unread post by GV88 » June 30th, 2011, 6:55 pm

Send you a PM...check your inbox.

shepsx
Here and there

Unread post by shepsx » July 15th, 2012, 8:42 am

No traction control in low range at any speed. 4000rpm is 60kph, traction control does work in high with centre diff locked
And can be a bit of a pain. The new GV is awesome on sand, better then my Sierra and with a couple of small mods should be a weapon

DDIS
Getting to know the place

Unread post by DDIS » October 19th, 2012, 4:12 pm

Thats wrong shepsx, on 2009+ GV's Traction control is always on and can not be turned off even in low range which is a good thing.

The ESP (electronic stability program) can be disabled (up to 30km/hr then turns back on when not in L) and is disabled when its placed in low range, ESP is not Traction control, traction control is utilised by the stability program when required.

ESP or ESC if you prefer detects steering wheel position, wheel speed and vehicle rotation to break specific wheels to assist steering the vehicle in under/oversteer scenarios.

Robdeo
Avid Poster

Unread post by Robdeo » October 22nd, 2012, 10:12 am

The Rav4 is the easiest thing on the beach, takes the fun out of it. I've told my wife, who's experience offroad driving is going across our front lawn, to just point and go. Haven't tried dunes in it as I have the Rodeo for that kind of stuff now but I reccon it'd have no worries.

Return to “Grand Vitara (2005+)”