1.9L Diesel Fuel economy/range

Warnes
I'm new, be nice!

1.9L Diesel Fuel economy/range

Unread post by Warnes » January 30th, 2011, 8:47 pm

Hi all

Just curious as to how many KMs other Suzuki owners are getting out of a tank of fuel?

Since new it has never got any more then 580km out of a tank. The dealer mechanic said it would get better with a fuel km's under its belt- but now has 30 000kms on it with no change in fuel consumption.

Went on a trip from Gold Coast to Sydney and got 8.2L/100km according to the trip computer.

I expected to get much better fuel economy out of it....

DDIS
Getting to know the place

Re: 1.9L Diesel Fuel economy/range

Unread post by DDIS » February 1st, 2011, 4:42 pm

I've gotten a tad over 700Kms out of a tank once all highway driving.

I usually get close to 600Kms out of a tank mix of highway and town driving before the fuel light comes on. My fuel usage went up a bit when I fitted a two inch lift and bash plates (don't think my alignment is spot on) and roof racks.

I never get under 500K's from a tank unless I've been fourbying.

I've read reports of people having DPF issues, I've yet to experience any issues have you?

Warnes
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Warnes » February 1st, 2011, 10:13 pm

DDIS

I have never experienced the light coming on telling me to clean out the cobwebs yet... and I have now got nearly 30,000ks on the girl.

Not convinced about Suzukis service intervals though. I am booking it in for its SECOND service at 30,000ks. Not sure if the 15 000km intervals are doing the engine any good for fuel economy. Might pay to change the oil myself between services

DDIS

Unread post by DDIS » February 2nd, 2011, 11:21 am

Yeah i get mine service every 7500KMs, 15000 just seems too high to me but i"m used to the older diesels.

JayD
Here and there

Unread post by JayD » February 17th, 2011, 4:32 pm

My GV is now just over 3 years old and I have done 180,000km. (Used every day for work) Due to high miles I only service every 15k, but thats pretty often anyway.
I generally get mid 600k's from a tank before the lght comes on, and the in dash trip computer doesn't move off 7.6l per 100ks, except for when I tow the Coromal Camper it jumps to nearly 14!!!

Generator
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Generator » May 3rd, 2011, 9:53 am

Recently bought a demo 2010 DDiS with 1300K's on the clock. Just to give it a little try out you understand we took it up to Kalbarri from Perth and covered around 1600K's in total. On the way up to Kalbarri and sitting on 100km/hr I was surprised to see the economy was in the high 7's and climbing. By dropping back to 90km/hr the car averaged 6.9l/100km for the whole trip with around 150k's of dirt track included.

john utah
Here and there

Unread post by john utah » June 5th, 2011, 12:21 pm

wow JD thats a lot of miles. I have 70 000 and try to change oil evrey 5000ish.

My local agent said a lot of people have DPF lights come on at 60000. Mine came on at 65000. Drove it at 120km in 4th gear for half an hour and it cleared out.

I find econmy very dependant on driving conditions. I suspect the low profile body is really appreciated to keep mileage down. Eg put a roof rack on and it might jump from 8-10 l/100.

My best economy was Alice to Coober pedy. 120km/hr, loaded roof rack, bigger tyres, but no wind and used 40psi - it sat on 8.2l/100 the whole way no problems

csgregor
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by csgregor » August 18th, 2011, 4:10 pm

i have the 08 diesel and get 600+ every tank. I have a roof rack

Just put a 2" lift and a roof cage on it so it will be interesting to see how it goes.

the manual states that they are a 66L tank (which is supposed ot be useable fuel)
I have never put more than 56L in it and i usually drive 50km past the warning light.

does anyone know if i should be getting more mileage?

d_mac
Here and there

Unread post by d_mac » June 24th, 2012, 6:40 pm

Couldn't really believe it how the 1.9-litre turbocharged CRDi Suzuki Grand Vitara sips more fuel than my heavier 3.0-litre Isuzu Dmax. Is the diesel Vitara intercooled and equipped with a variable-gemoetry turbocharger? Aside from the EGR, does it also come with a diesel particulate filter (DPF) at the pipe?

I get around 12.4 km per litre or 8.06 litres/100 km from my intercooled wastegate turbocharged Dmax even in Metro Manila city-driving, where traffic all around the streets are obviously heavier than what we all see in Australian cities.

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n62 ... C01274.jpg

When i drive it out of town, in combined freeways and less-traffic provincial roads, i get around 17.1 km per litre out of my Dmax. That is about 5.88 litres/100 km.

The problem i see with smaller engines even when say they are equipped with variable turbocharger and say they run higher fuel rail pressure, is that they just rely on "boosting" to produced power. Most often than not, they are also highly-strung. They still do have a lag and sweet spot at say 2000 rpm and the peak flat torque coming from them is also narrow. Therefore, the driver would always want it to be singing at the right powerband, which is usually higher, especially when the smaller engine is under load. Therefore they tend to sip more fuel than the generally low-reving, even when loaded, bigger 3.0-litre CRDi engines .

With the relatively bigger CRDi engines, power and torque is produced by virtue of "displacement" and not because of "boosting" for the most part. Peak flat torque from them is wider across the powerband where whether you relax the fuel pedal or not, the pulling-force (torque) is there. There is also no lag off-the-bottom and all the way the powerband.

Cheers!

DDIS

Unread post by DDIS » October 19th, 2012, 4:02 pm

Yeah the smaller engine has to work harder but the main contributor to the difference is that the Grand Vitara is a constent 4wd not part time like the DMAX.

Return to “Grand Vitara (2005+)”