Suzuki GV 2014 - towing

Suzi_girl_09
Getting to know the place

Suzuki GV 2014 - towing

Unread post by Suzi_girl_09 » August 31st, 2018, 8:18 am

Hi all, I’m looking at buying a lumberjack Buckley camper which weighs 1440kg coming from the shop and a ball weight of 150kg.
I know my Suzuki GV 2014 2.4L petrol can tow 1850kg and my tow ball weight is 150kg.
Just wondering if any others have towed this much n if it requires more suspension in the rear?
I’m on the fence on whether or not to move onto a bigger 4by but I love my Suzi and with everyone cracking down on tow weight I just want to make sure I’m good.
Thanks

hoyks
Avid Poster

Re: Suzuki GV 2014 - towing

Unread post by hoyks » September 2nd, 2018, 2:31 pm

Suzuki's have grown a bit over the years, but the GV will be working hard towing that camper fully loaded. It will probably do it, but at highway speed it will be sucking down the juice.
If its an auto, you will want to see if it has a transmission cooler as towing heavy loads in the heat with an auto you run the risk of cooking the transmission.

As for suspension, unless you have absolutely nothing in the back of the wagon, then a suspension upgrade would probably be in order.
1st I'd go with heavier coil springs as they are cheap ($100/corner) and can be fitted in the back end with basic tools. They will carry the load better and greatly reduce the chance of bottoming out. You will most likely get around a 50mm suspension lift as a bonus.
2nd. Shock adsorbers are more $$, but if swapping the springs you really should go with a shock adsorber that is better matched to the new spring than the stock item that is probably past its use by date anyway.
3rd. If the budget will stretch that far, replace the front springs and struts as well. If you want to do it yourself, you should be able to buy strut and spring assemblies so you could unbolt the old one and install the new one. That will save some labor, then you will be up for a wheel alignment.

So if you are handy in the shed you could get away with springs for $200, or not much change from $1500. If you bought a replacement vehicle, then its a fair bet you would been to spend a similar amount on suspension anyway.

Return to “Grand Vitara (2005+)”