Xl7 Lift + Snorkel + Bash Plate + Water Storage?

Pre 2005 GV's
TallXl7
Here and there

Xl7 Lift + Snorkel + Bash Plate + Water Storage?

Unread post by TallXl7 » October 16th, 2009, 2:08 pm

Howdy,
As you may know I have been looking to build up the XL7 for touring. Well the Cooper ATR's have been on for a while and the next phase has started.
Step 1 was to order a bash plate and snorkel from Outdoor Auto. I must admit i was skeptical of the snorkel quality, but both items seem pretty good to me.
Today I dropped by TJM and ordered some Tough Dog Suspension, Springs, nitro fronts and adjustable rears, just to limit the squat when it's loaded up and give a bit more clearance. They will also be fitting the snorkel at the same time.
What I'm wondering is, has anyone taken out the 3rd row of seats and put in some sort of water storage? I was thinking about making a system out of PVC pipe to store about 60 litres. One a 40L and a second reserve 20L. Does anyone know of anyone who's done this or similar, even using a different storage method? I plan on then putting ply over the top with carpet to make a perfectly flat boot floor. Idealy a hose would run under the floor with a tap at the rear bumper. Am I dreaming?
Cheers

ODA1
Been here a while

Unread post by ODA1 » October 16th, 2009, 8:51 pm

this is the first xl7 that i worked on, still wish i bought it of him

Had the rear seats removed for a carpeted board, 110L fridge with compressor and tank plus duel battery system. :thumb:
font of all Suzuki knowledge as another Member has said lol........

TallXl7
Here and there

Unread post by TallXl7 » October 22nd, 2009, 9:43 am

Got done yesterday. It's pretty well what we wanted. Not much change in the back though. Measurements are from the ground to the sills through the centre of the tyre. Middle is the crack below the drivers door (up to the top corner for accuracy sake)
Rear Was 82cm Now 83
front Was 78cm Now 83
Middle Was 38cm Now42

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mitch123
Here and there

Unread post by Mitch123 » October 22nd, 2009, 12:23 pm

Looking good, what size tyres did you fit?

TallXl7
Here and there

Unread post by TallXl7 » October 22nd, 2009, 4:37 pm

They are 225/70/R16. Not bad offroad, not bad on it either. This is my wife's car so every mod has to be done with the fat that it's her daily in mind. This size kept the speedo to 5% out, so reading 60 is actually 63. We have confirmed this with a gps too.

murcod
Been here a while

Unread post by murcod » October 23rd, 2009, 5:19 pm

Strange how you only got 1cm lift in the rear but 5cm in the front? How does the handling compare? You might end up up the nose pointing skywards with it loaded a bit and I would think it mightn't handle too well like that???

Regarding the water storage, I've had my rear seats removed for around 18mths now. To say you gain a lot of space by doing so is an understatement. It would be possible to fit a water tank in there IMHO, but I'd be looking at one of the soft bladder type tanks that ARB sell. You'd just need to make sure it was well protected from sharp edges.

I've actually got one (I think it's 35 litres?) but haven't used in the XL-7 yet. I think it was around $130 five or so years ago and is a long sausage shape. Flexi Tank Water Tanks | ARB 4x4 Accessories » Products » General Accessories Flexitank | Pillow Tanks | ContainerPac | 4WD & SUV Vehicle Flexitanks | Inflatable Marker Buoys | Flotation Devices
David.

murcod
Been here a while

Unread post by murcod » October 23rd, 2009, 10:23 pm

I just remembered that I've got photos of the rear of mine with the seats removed:

You do need to be a bit brutal to remove the rear floor storage tray because the clowns for some reason plastic weld it to the two side trims pieces at the factory!?
David.

TallXl7
Here and there

Unread post by TallXl7 » October 25th, 2009, 2:06 pm

I thought the lift was a tad odd too. It's the Tough Dog springs and ended up with the Tough Dog nitro shock/struts all round. Apparently they have withdrawn the adjustable ones for the Gv/XL7 as they were fouling on something.

As for ride, it's heaps better, even fully loaded. I have just got back from 3 days play in the Barrington Mtn's. On the trip up (fully loaded with camping stuff) it was softer in it's ride, but sat perfectly. Steering felt good and solid, the back end was supple and didn't send a shock through everything every time we hit a bump.
When empty (and off to play) the ride still felt good and supple. I expected it to be a bit harsh, but in all cases it is far better than the standard suspension.
To look at in person the car looks far better, it sort of looks like it is meant to be the way it is now. The roof slowly drops towards the back instead of being flat/tilted forwards.

I should also report that the bash plate works very well. While out playing it allowed the front end to glide over a few humps that should have claimed me.

I would recommend each mod so far, however I can't compare setups as i havent tried any other modded GV's or XL7's.

And thanks for those pics, it helps me plan what I can do.

russ81
Here and there

Re: Xl7 Lift + Snorkel + Bash Plate + Water Storage?

Unread post by russ81 » May 9th, 2012, 3:27 pm

It's funny what you find having a look through the old posts.
The car that ODA1 posted was my car loved it I ended up selling for a patrol though.

Sorry to dig up An old thread

TDF41
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by TDF41 » May 11th, 2012, 4:10 pm

post some good pics of it then :-)

russ81
Here and there

Unread post by russ81 » May 28th, 2012, 12:11 am

Well seeing as i sold this car 6 years ago theses are the best I could find, I used to have a vid of it up at LCMP but it has disappeared sometime during the years.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TDF41
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by TDF41 » May 31st, 2012, 1:30 pm

sweet :-)

now can i steel them for the site :-) :lol: :lol: :lol:

here is my new baby

it came with 40mm king coils so i threw in a pair of shocks to get a bit of flex, the ramp is to small and i had plenty of flex to go lol..

thats the lift for now but it will be getting the 4inch treatment :twisted:

julianvreug
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by julianvreug » July 19th, 2012, 12:51 pm

I remember the days when my car use to be the high :(

King Springs are going as get soft after 3 years, just can handle the weight of the car no more.

Pic is 4x4 with bit over 4 inch lift, had to take the spacer out the rear as the Prop shaft was clicking.

Bits4Vits are looking at doing a spacer up as the grand vitara ones are different being 4 boltswhile the XL-7 only has 3 bolts.

Highly recommend getting AVM hubs on these for town driving when have suspension lift.

TDF41
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by TDF41 » September 21st, 2012, 3:34 pm

Im running a 3inch coil and a 30mm spacer and i have no clicking.

Return to “Grand Vitara / XL7”