Adding child restraint points -> Xl-7

Pre 2005 GV's
murcod
Been here a while

Adding child restraint points -> Xl-7

Unread post by murcod » May 21st, 2008, 11:14 pm

Is it just me or does it seems crazy that the seven seater XL-7's have only one seat rated for a child restraint; and that just happens to be behind the driver?

Has anyone had an extra restraint point added (is it possible?) There's no way I can drive and have a baby seat (ie. baby lying down facing rear) fitted behind the driver's seat.
David.

Zook_Fan
Been here a while

Unread post by Zook_Fan » May 21st, 2008, 11:44 pm

did you try movin the seat foward :D

crawla
Part of the furniture

Unread post by crawla » May 22nd, 2008, 12:31 am

you sure there is not another one murcod? I know the GV anchor points are located behind the passenger and driver, they are located right at the very back of the luggage area, at the base of where the rear door opens to the luggage area.......they look like tie down points. Have you gone through your user manual? Let us know how ya go. Not right up with the XL7.
Isuzu DMAX......bog stock and now the underdog always ready to do battle!

murcod
Been here a while

Unread post by murcod » May 22nd, 2008, 11:06 pm

Yeah Zook_Fan, strange enough I did! But driving like a hunch back just doesn't feel safe for some reason....

Crawla, thanks for the suggestions. Due to it having the extra row of rear seats the child restraint point is actually in the back of the seat (looks like a tie down point like you said.) The one on the RHS is a solid bar, whereas there's also one in the centre but it's a lift up loop - a luggage tiedown I'd suggest? The manual says not to use luggage tiedowns. At the very rear there are two lift up loops which also appear to be luggage tiedowns? The manual isn't very clear due to it being written for many different countries- mine is also a QLD model when new so it wasn't imported by Suzuki Australia. Might have to try and get my hands on a "normal" XL-7 manual.

On a positive note I did just discover that the RHS seat has ISOFix loops built into it. We've actually got a baby capsule that we bought from Europe which is an ISOFIX capsule and it should easily fit behind the seat :). Yes, I'm aware that restraints are supposed to meet AS- this one has the highest European safety score when combined with the ISOFix base. I've yet to see an ISOFix seat sold here- strange given they're a solid mounting system which should be a lot safer in a sideways impact.

The passenger side seat also feels like it's got ISOFix loops but they haven't cut the seat leather for them to pop through- strange?
David.

murcod
Been here a while

Unread post by murcod » May 31st, 2008, 10:38 pm

I performed an "operation" on the LHS middle row seat today- there is indeed ISOFix fasteners hidden underneath the seat material on that side. Strange, why didn't they expose them like on the RHS?
David.

lil monster
Been here a while

Re: Adding child restraint points -> Xl-7

Unread post by lil monster » November 14th, 2013, 8:32 pm

just an FYI

THIS IS TRUE:

my wife and I literally JUST bought our new XL-7, and I swear I saw one restraint and kept looking at other things, me and the Mrs just got the car owned for seriously 30 mins and fit the baby seats. oh phooey no restraint on the passenger side

found this thread and went looking, and I have performed a similar "operation" and cut the material out and boom baby seat anchor point found right where it's supposed to be (I did a seriously NEAT job) on it considering but I just think this deservs more of a mention for any one else who google searches this.

so here

Child Anchor Points XL-7, XL-7 Anchor point, Baby Restraings XL-7, XL7 baby seats, XL-7 has 3X anchor points

Return to “Grand Vitara / XL7”