Anyone tell me how putting an XL-7 4WD into Low range feels?

Pre 2005 GV's
julianvreug
I'm new, be nice!

Anyone tell me how putting an XL-7 4WD into Low range feels?

Unread post by julianvreug » July 17th, 2012, 11:58 am

Hi,

Can anyone with a XL-7 or Grand Vitara tell me how putting the GV into Low Range feels like? EG does it click in, lock in, hard to get out of or just pops out with a pinky finger?

Reason asking is, since i bought by XL-7 7 years ago with only 12,000k on the clock the 4wd Low range will not lock in so when going off road i can be going up a steep decent and all of the sudden it pops out.

Transmission mount was part of the culprit which i just changed last sunday, the old one being majorly soft and pretty much useless.

Last flinders trip before the mount being changed my mate held in the low range going up a rocky hill, going over a rock forced the low range out and sending a shock wave through my mates arm which made his shoulder and arm go numb for the next day.

I have a feeling that its something internal like a dislodged cir clip or syncro gear, but would ask hear first to see what others experience is with the GV Low Range.

Magnat
Avid Poster

Re: Anyone tell me how putting an XL-7 4WD into Low range fe

Unread post by Magnat » February 6th, 2013, 8:30 pm

On mine it feels firm.. You can sort of feel it in your hand.. Its not exactly a click but a feeling of engagement..

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » February 6th, 2013, 8:52 pm

Changing the Transfer case from High to Low range (once you are stopped) should feel pretty much like it feels going from first thru neutral into second gear in the gear box once you are stopped - after all, you are actually just selecting another gear in a 'gearbox' that also has a different ratio, it's just that this 'gearbox' also splits the drive to go to the front and the rear, so it might be a tad harder.

However, if the trans case internals are worn, then one of the symptoms to suggest that could be that it will tend to pop out of 'gear' under deceleration or engine braking loads, just like your gearbox itself might start to pop out of gear under engine braking. Leave it long enough doing that, or put up with it for long enough, and eventually it'll probably start popping out of 'gear' when it is under power loads too!!

Still, if it's popping out under engine braking and you've already replaced the trans mount, I'd be looking for selector issues first then internal trans case issues next.

Good Luck
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

murcod
Been here a while

Unread post by murcod » April 12th, 2014, 3:58 pm

On our auto it's extremely stiff to engage 4WD L . It makes it easier if you ensure the trans is in neutral but requires some effort - it's certainly nothing like changing gears in a manual trans.

Return to “Grand Vitara / XL7”