03 GV won't go into 4WD

Pre 2005 GV's
IronMan83
I'm new, be nice!

03 GV won't go into 4WD

Unread post by IronMan83 » July 1st, 2012, 1:02 pm

Hi,

After a few months of research, and getting some advice on the general fourby discussion board here I bought an 03 GV sq625 s2 sport. Went out 4WDing last w/end and had some great fun, but ran into a bit of an issue yesterday on some tracks..

Going up a sand dune in 4-Low in second gear, I got to the very top but ran out of steam and was starting to bottom out, so stopped and put it into 1st and tried to take off (I'd gone it before easily, the hill isn't that big), but unfortunately this time the car won't budge, bottomed out.

After a bit of investigating I realised the front wheels were no longer engaged, even though I was in 4WD-Low. The transfer case seems fine, as it's still in Low, I'm thinking its an electronic issue with the front wheels not engaging..

I've searched the Internet, a few threads have mentioned a blown fuse, some others mentioned the actuator is shot, such as thing link: http://www.fixya.com/cars/t5808582-vech ... en_engaged

Can anyone offer any more advise as to what it might be? I also went through my first decent water crossing about 15 minutes earlier, so something could have shorted..? And also the bottoming out when it went into 2WD, so maybe a tonne of sand is clogging or dislodged something?

Here is a pic of her :)

IronMan83
I'm new, be nice!

Re: 03 GV won't go into 4WD

Unread post by IronMan83 » July 1st, 2012, 2:45 pm

After getting it up on the ramps I managed to find the culprit, the vacuum hose had come undone. I guess it got pulled off when I bottomed out on the sand..

After 3 days of mild 4WDing everyone's comments of the low clearance is definitely the major issue. I had hoped to wait a month or two before getting the 2" lift, but think I might just bite the bullet. I also just have street tyres (it was a soccer mums car) so might upgrade them at the same time as the lift. And then once I get them, a front bash plate could come in handy, right now the front cross member just acts as a snow plow haha

I currently live in WA, but going to live in NSW in Jan next year. I need to research more but the 2" lift should be fine if I need to get the car over the pits in NSW to get it registered, but the bigger tyres throwing out the speedo might be an issue.. I guess I can either get it priced up to recalibrate the speedo, or just buy some stock tyres when it goes over the pits.

If anyone is around Perth and wants to go out for a drive, send me a message :)

Dan.

TDF41
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by TDF41 » July 3rd, 2012, 12:02 pm

hi

i use to have an o3 GV myself and loved it :-)

mine was a little bigger lol.....

the tyre thing can be a pain so if you keep your stock tyres you could just throw them when it goes over the pits.

a 2inch lift, tyres and a front under body guard will make a big difference to how she goes off road - i think its one of the best suzuki made :D

if youre looking for more GV owners you can come and chat on here

http://suzuki-grandvitara.info/forum/index.php

bigbluegrand
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by bigbluegrand » July 10th, 2012, 6:47 pm

G Day, Had the same problem on a recent trip to Fraser Island in my 99 grand 2.5 . Look at the front crossmember there should be a small 3mm tube running across it with a rubber hose connected on the drivers side. If the hose has come off the front diff wont engage. Made up a sump guard for mine no more problems.

Return to “Grand Vitara / XL7”