XL-7 sump dent.

Pre 2005 GV's
ezzy
Here and there

XL-7 sump dent.

Unread post by ezzy » March 28th, 2011, 6:34 pm

hey dudes, i asking this for my GF's dad.

he owns a 2001 V6 XL-7 vitara.
the other day he went hunting and while driving down a track a big stick that was sitting in the middle of the track jumped up and bit the zook :p
amongst other things, it left a pretty nasty dent on the sump and we were wondering if the dent would affect the oil pump pickup at all. the dent is located towards the front drivers side.

any info is greatly appreciated

crocodile
I'm new, be nice!

Re: XL-7 sump dent.

Unread post by crocodile » April 29th, 2011, 8:39 pm

Hello Ezzy,

try this forum, there are some pretty knowledgable contributors.
http://www.suzuki-forums.com/1g-1999-20 ... nd-vitara/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For mine, I would try for a manual that would show where the oil pump pickup is and see if it likely to have been damaged.

I would check very carefully for any leaks, also around the bolts as the whole sump may have been distorted.

Has the car been driven since the bump?, if the oil light is out and there are no unusual noises, it is probably OK.

browndog
Been here a while

Unread post by browndog » January 8th, 2012, 3:02 pm

oil strainer and pickup assy IS in the front Right corner of the sump according to the diagrams in my electronic service manual. might be worth inspecting but its not a small job to remove the sump. then again its not a small job to rebuild the engine either (if it is damaged and leads to a major malfunction.

cac
Need to get out more

Unread post by cac » February 8th, 2012, 5:55 pm

replacing the sump on a GV/XL7 requires you to drop the diff out first.....the workshop manual I have said you also had to drop the steering rack out, though we didn't touch it, and had no trouble getting the diff out of the way.....

not being sure on how to remove a diff, I asked a friend to help me, and it took us a few hours to do, about five or six from memory...I also spoke to a mechanic and got a quote from him, and he suggested a similar time frame....
LN106 Hilux Project

http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=82487

Return to “Grand Vitara / XL7”