swap clutch fan for thermo

TheDirtbag
I'm new, be nice!

swap clutch fan for thermo

Unread post by TheDirtbag » December 14th, 2011, 8:21 pm

Hi all i just swapped my clutch fan for a 16inch thermo as i do a fair bit of off roading and water crossings, so i hooked it up to a toggle switch so i can turn it off when i come to water crossings now.

am going a few hours south of darwin on sunday to adalaide river to do some water crossings will let you all know how she holds up

cheers cotto

Laidley 62 Series
Part of the furniture

Re: swap clutch fan for thermo

Unread post by Laidley 62 Series » December 14th, 2011, 8:27 pm

Hi cotto,

I am very tempted to fit two to my 60 series, it is highly advised against, but I am thinking of fitting one on the front and one on the inside.

On my rally car I had two, one was wired to my ignition and the second was wired to a switch for when needed.

It worked very well, I am thinking the setup will work on my 60 with a new radiator, the problem with any fan and water
[ except a metal one ] is that the water twists the blades and it cuts up the radiator.

Happy Trails.

David.
1985 F J 62, barn doors, poverty pack.

My Karma ran over my Dogma.

God created the 60 Series, man made the rest.

60 Series trip to Cape York 2013.

gen1__pajero
Here and there

Unread post by gen1__pajero » December 15th, 2011, 9:17 am

Hi David Yes there is the problem with the water but thats why if you hooked it to a toggle switch so when coming to the water you could switch it off.

I aswell am going to fit a second one to the front i think just for a bit of insurence, so if one dies i still have one going.

Well i hope all works out well for you and your 60

cheers cotto

i have two accounts one for work one for home lol my new one for home does not work at work lol cheers

hooray
Here and there

Unread post by hooray » December 28th, 2011, 4:47 pm

Mate, would be very interested to see how you do the fan at the front. I live in the Pilbara and my jeep runs on the hot side most of the time. I have had it all checked out and replaced the thermostat and water pump etc. I tried to source a bigger radiator, but that came to a naught. The next best thing is to get more air flow. Will watch your thread.
Cheers

gen1__pajero
Here and there

Unread post by gen1__pajero » December 28th, 2011, 5:33 pm

hi all did my trip the other weekend ran like a dream.
it actually runs cooler now when at a stand still.
only turn it on when not moving but i am looking at a new radiator as well, as there is some new ones on ebay for an upgrade.
cheers jamie

Laidley 62 Series
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Laidley 62 Series » December 28th, 2011, 6:37 pm

Hi Pajero,

You might be better sourceing your radiator locally than getting one of those chinese ones on flea bay.

The radiator shop at 17 Mile Rocks in Brisbane is doing them cheap at the moment.

David.
1985 F J 62, barn doors, poverty pack.

My Karma ran over my Dogma.

God created the 60 Series, man made the rest.

60 Series trip to Cape York 2013.

gen1__pajero
Here and there

Unread post by gen1__pajero » January 11th, 2012, 8:34 pm

its from a reputable dealer in syd and its a brass core radiator so shouldnt be too bad..

Compulsion
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Compulsion » February 11th, 2012, 1:25 pm

I have swap the clutch fan for the thermo fan had a few problems with fuses blowing and and heat from the fan melting the in-line fuse mount and was very lucky not to do any damage the the engine when the fuse fails.

I put a led light in the dash that turns on when the fan comes on
I also keep a very close eye on the temp gauge
and I have moved the fuse up next to the battery.

Shaker4x4
Need to get out more

Unread post by Shaker4x4 » February 11th, 2012, 2:24 pm

I've said it before when I was looking for fans for my inter-cooler. A lot of thermo fan companies don't make fans suitable for 4wd, including Brown Davis. What you looking for is good performance and a ring around the fan blade circumference which not only prevents fan blade tip from hitting the the radiator, but also keeps the blades in alignment thus reducing turbulence in blade misalignment conflict during if they were to flex.

Look for water proof brush-less motors with IP68 protection, sealed connections and quality construction. It is recommended one buys a couple of smaller fans and stagger them diagonally across the radiator instead of one large fan which won't perform as well. It will also help pull more air not only through the radiator, but also you air conditioning condenser over a larger surface area. A broader fan blade diameter will flex too much and if no circumference ring to keep them aligned, your asking for trouble. They all have their design place. So think long and hard and do your homework when buying something like these. If it means it costs more for better performance, reliability and safety for your vehicle, then strongly consider their worth.

I have found only one brand of fan on the market that does OEM and after market applications with the above quality and long, reliable life for 4WD applications and that is Italian made Spal: http://www.spalusa.com/store/main.aspx

There is a dealer in Australia called Datsport, but look at the U.S. website and catalogues, not what they have in stock here. You can import yourself or order off the shelf in Australia: http://www.datsport.com/spal-fans.html

Worth the money, not the break down.

On a side note. Too many people are fitting large diameter accessories in front of their air intake. This disrupts and reduces air flow. You can still get high performance spot lights with smaller diameter that will do the job just as well.

Shakes.

Return to “TJ Wrangler”