Buying a TJ, what to look out for.

FenianEel
I'm new, be nice!

Buying a TJ, what to look out for.

Unread post by FenianEel » August 2nd, 2011, 3:35 pm

Hey Folks,

Daughter is looking for a TJ Wrangler.
Any useful tips on what to look for, what to look out for?

Thanks

esp22
Been here a while

Re: Buying a TJ, what to look out for.

Unread post by esp22 » April 10th, 2012, 3:17 pm

would like the same advice

its either a tj or fj40 cruiser for me

gen1__pajero
Here and there

Unread post by gen1__pajero » May 10th, 2012, 5:05 pm

Well all the basic stuff first like any oil leaks front and rear diff leaks as the diff protection on the tj is shitty.
good service history and the gears if bying a manual.
however the km's u get out of the tj is horrible its more of a jeep thing so not much can be done about it.
once you bye a tj you will never drive anything else...

cheers cotto

outback cruisa
Need to get out more

Unread post by outback cruisa » June 17th, 2013, 5:56 pm

I'm thinking about changing my pathy for a TJ for my daily commute, as my 4wd days are pretty much over :cry:
So wouldn't be looking to do any mods to it, maybe a bullbar just for protection.

But reading so many threads about rediculus fuel figures, I think I might keep my 20L/100 pathy for a while longer :irked:
I would like to go a 4 door TD JK/KJ but they are still far outside my price range

But still the idea of being able to drive to work with the top off is still hanging in the air
Pathy Buildup: Project Pathy

4WDAction Issue 185 Full Feature

ratwgn
Here and there

Unread post by ratwgn » August 12th, 2013, 8:04 pm

My misus owns a 05 tj 2 door. My tip, as low ks as possible she got hers with 60, 000 on the clock and its great, no leaks etc but we had a look at a couple around the 100-150 mark that had oil leaks, worn bushes all over the place and not great fuel usage. We get about 450-550 per 70l tank depending on driving around town usage is the same to off road to which is great. Also get one with the anti stall system I forget what yeR it was brought in but it makes it so great off road as its a real stepping platform in the gf learning to off road or if you are lazy you can do 40kmh in 4th without touching the accelerator haha.

Try also an unmodyfied one as anything over a 1.5-2 inch lift it's advisable that you get a gearbox/transfer case drop put in tough dog kits are the only one to come with this so any other lifts you'd be safe to assume the uni's are pretty dam well on the limits.

Anything else id be happy to answer.

BLU-125

Unread post by BLU-125 » August 16th, 2013, 7:42 pm

Umm, ratwgn, if you lift a Wrangler, you're first mod should be a slip yoke eliminator and proper rear D/S. I've seen stock height TJs wreck t/c output shafts. If YOU need advice, please contact me........
2004 GRAND CHEROKEE OVERLAND.

WHAT SIDE WAS YOURS ON IN WW2? :)

Return to “TJ Wrangler”