Reverse Camera - where does its wiring plug in?

Dougwe
Getting to know the place

Reverse Camera - where does its wiring plug in?

Unread post by Dougwe » May 25th, 2018, 9:52 am

Hi all,

I am new here as been looking for a Colorado Forum for ages and finally found this one.

I have a 2014 Twin Cab RG Colorado auto with a Holden fitted Canopy and a Holden fitted Reverse Camera fitted to rear tailgate near handle/lock. The view I get is just what the doctor ordered. I use it for reversing out of parking spots and hooking up a caravan mainly as I am a solo traveller.

I love it and it's been working great however for some reason only known to the camera gods the clarity is not as good and even with adjustments on the My Link screen it is still poor. To the point there is no visability of the tow ball etc. I am thinking a new one is required.

My question is......is there a plug connection near the camera or close to the rear of ute so I can just disconnect the old camera and replace with a new one? OR Do I have to get it wired all way through to Mylink screen? That would have to be done by Holden as I have no idea of those sorts of things.

I have removed the rear cover plate on inside of taigate but can't find a plug fitting.

I look forward to any replies.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Reverse Camera - where does its wiring plug in?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » May 25th, 2018, 11:08 am

Hi Doug, welcome to the Forum! :thumb:

Any chance your camera lens is just dirty?? Maybe there is an outer 'lens cover' that's what you see from the back/outside, with a more protected lens proper behind that & inside the tailgate, & if that inside lens gets dusty..... Just a thought - but it happened to my a/mkt reverse camera with a protective box around the camera proper, the inside of the protective screen & the lens proper both collected a light film of dust in the camera's first 100,000km; really fine dust leaking into the supposedly sealed protective casing. Pulled it all apart, blew out all the dust, cleaned all the screens & lenses, re-assembled it all with better sealant, no recurrence of that problem since, & it's done over 500,000 km of clear viewing now!

Anyhow, it might be worth asking your nearest (helpful) Holden Dealer if they can show you the camera & its wiring loom on their database?! If they can get it up on their screens, you should be able to see where the wiring plugs in - don't forget that it might be a plug directly into the camera body, so there's no join in the wiring to see!! Just a plug in the back of the MyLink module & a plug in the back of the camera body... or it might have a connector in the std loom just inside the rear 1/4 panel for the optional camera wiring leading from the tailgate to plug into! The database pic should show that, & a helpful parts interpreter should be happy enough to show you that (if they can find it!!)

Good Luck!
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Boots33

Unread post by Boots33 » May 25th, 2018, 9:20 pm

The plug for the camera is located on the right hand rear of the vehicle.
if you lie down under the vehicle and look up in that area you will see the 6 pin connector. there is no connector in the tail gate, the wiring runs all the way out to the right hand side .

Dougwe

Unread post by Dougwe » May 26th, 2018, 11:38 am

Thanks heaps Peter and Boots. I will see if the possible dust/dirt inside camera cover is the culprit, if not I have been underneath and found the plug right where you said it would be Boots so that will be the next step, chatting with Holden dealer about camera replacement or what they think might be the problem. It will be very interesting indeed. I am pretty sure it is the camera not the Mylink screen as everything else on the screen is clear.

Thankyou again.

Boots33

Unread post by Boots33 » May 26th, 2018, 9:25 pm

Lets hope it's just a bit of dust :)

Dougwe

Unread post by Dougwe » June 30th, 2018, 12:09 pm

Sorry for not getting back to everyone but have been a little crook and the weather is stopping me getting under Collie to check plug etc so the project is still to do.

Dougwe

Unread post by Dougwe » July 19th, 2018, 9:10 am

UPDATE!

I finally checked the plug under Collie that the camera connects to, cleaned it out and made sure was all dry.

Didn't do the job. I ended up getting a new camera but still need to fit it.

Dougwe

Unread post by Dougwe » August 7th, 2018, 9:27 am

Well, the new camera is now fitted and all is good. I can now see again.

Thanks to those that helped with info.

Boots33

Unread post by Boots33 » August 8th, 2018, 8:17 am

Did they give you any reason as to why the camera failed. Hope I get a bit longer from mine!!!

Dougwe

Unread post by Dougwe » August 8th, 2018, 6:08 pm

No, no reason Boots, infact, Holden were not much help at all. They had heaps in stock though so maybe enough said.

I had the Collie serviced by a diferent mechanic this time on Monday just gone as all warranty done and dusted. for a start it was half the price quoted by Holden and the nechanic said he had changed a few cameras over now as they are not good quality. The service done was a full 90,000km service, including all filters.

If or when it happens again I might look into a different one. I do like the view being on the MyLink screen though.

Boots33

Unread post by Boots33 » August 9th, 2018, 8:36 am

Yep it is a bit hard to live without one once you have it.
My my15 LS did not have a camera when we purchased it and Holden wanted a motsa to fit it for me. I ended up getting one and fitting it myself for about $250.
Always a way around their crazy pricing, I nearly fainted the first time I asked them for a set of wiper blades!!! Bit of googling found the solution to that little rip off too. :)

SomeCant
Been here a while

Unread post by SomeCant » August 10th, 2018, 12:22 pm

Dougwe wrote:
August 8th, 2018, 6:08 pm
If or when it happens again I might look into a different one. I do like the view being on the MyLink screen though.
Aftermarket MyLink Replacement

in this writeup I did it will show you the wires you can connect a aftermarket cam to the mylink plug, if you unplug the factory cam and hook up a aftermarket cam to the wires the mylink should display the cam image on screen.
so if you do decide to change it you should still be able to get the view on the mylink.

JaysonColorado
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by JaysonColorado » August 21st, 2018, 1:06 pm

On a different note, has anyone installed an aftermarket camera to the existing harness at the back? Couldnt be assed paying 400 for a factory camera as i already have the software activated to get the camera working.
Its my understanding the harness has a lot of wires, most aftermarket cameras have 3 (gnd, power video out) or 4 if it includes audio.

Cant reverse park this without one. I end up with a 1 metre gap between my rear and the car behind lol.

Boots33

Unread post by Boots33 » August 22nd, 2018, 11:06 am

As I said I fitted an oem one I bought on ebay so not sure what type of camera you would need. They did supply a diagram of the plug though, so that may be of some use.

Return to “Colorado”