Internal coolant leak on my 4JJ1 2011 RC - what to do?

skik
Been here a while

Internal coolant leak on my 4JJ1 2011 RC - what to do?

Unread post by skik » January 21st, 2018, 12:27 pm

Hi all.
I have a 2011 RC Collie manual 4JJ1 3l TD with approx 240k.
It has an internal coolant leak - no coolant in the oil but when pressure tested it lost pressure, then when started, ran really rough for a short time before it cleared up and ran fine, indicating coolant in a combustion chamber, but no coolant in the oil.
2 possible scenarios: 1. A cracked head leaking into a combustion chamber only; 2. A failed egr cooler leaking back into a combustion chamber. When pressure tested, I pulled the egr valve and found signs of moisture inside the valve and port from the egr cooler. From info I can find online, this indicates a possible faulty egr cooler.
A new genuine egr cooler will set me back nearly $900 and I dont even want to think about what a head will set me back!
Would it be worth taking the egr cooler off and pressure testing it separately before getting too excited about pulling the head?
The local dealer did say the glow plugs can be pulled and individual cylinders tested, but he wont touch them because they tend to weld themselves in and snap off when removed.
Thanks for any ideas.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Internal coolant leak on my 4JJ1 2011 RC - what to do?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » January 21st, 2018, 2:35 pm

Hi Skik, have you investigated what it'd cost for an EGR cooler from a wrecker? You could probably get one pressure tested & with a 30 day warranty for half or less the new cost & maybe make the whole decision making process a little easier?!? Maybe that's worth a try?!

Or you could find a diesel tuner or dealer who has just a little confidence in their mechanics & get a proper leak down test done; & get them to start by removing the glow plugs & testing each cylinder - even if nothing else, testing each cylinder will clearly identify if you have any leaks into or out of a specific combustion chamber, and it could even identify what sort of leak it is! Sure, it might take a competent mechanic with a boss who's prepared to accept the (slight or otherwise) risk of breaking a glow plug & fix it if they do, but it's not really rocket science or heart surgery, and it shouldn't take a whole day to do the job & arrive at a reasonable diagnosis &/or repair cost estimate! :rolleyes:

Still, while I do reckon that the odds are greater that it's an EGR leak so it'd probably be worthwhile pulling the EGR cooler & getting it tested before pulling the head, I'm just not at all sure that I'd entrust that job to a dealer who won't back his staff to pull the glow plugs & do a simple leak down test!! Maybe there's a lot that could go wrong with either job, but if he won't take on what should be the simpler/easier job & not back his staff to do it properly &/or fix any stuff-ups they might make with something that simple, then I sure as heck wouldn't be entrusting the more complex job that required removing more 'in the way' gear & therefore had a greater risk of breaking something important along the way!!! :eek:

But that's just me - it's your vehicle & your choice! Good Luck ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

skik
Been here a while

Re: Internal coolant leak on my 4JJ1 2011 RC - what to do?

Unread post by skik » January 21st, 2018, 3:08 pm

thanks Peter
i think i will start with removing the egr cooler and testing that on its own that will at least show if i need to go further
the dealer pressure tested it and gave the 2 options where it could be leaking he did mention removing the glow plugs but said once the engine has the K's mine has the glow plugs tend to weld themselves into the head and snap off when it is attempted to remove them he said someone else can have a go but he wasn't wiling to do it i am friends with a guy that used to work for him and he said the same thing if it is the egr thats faulty i will just do an egr cooler delete and egr delete from what i can find online i can do both for under $300 total

Return to “Colorado”