Anyone had a go at Cleaning the I/Cooler on their RG?

Dezza80
Been here a while

Anyone had a go at Cleaning the I/Cooler on their RG?

Unread post by Dezza80 » July 9th, 2017, 11:17 pm

Has anyone had a go at cleaning the intercooler on their RG Colorado?
After 167000 kms mine is bound to be full of oil and gunk.

mydmax
Need to get out more

Re: Anyone had a go at Cleaning the I/Cooler on their RG?

Unread post by mydmax » July 10th, 2017, 8:21 pm

Why do you think it will be clogged with gunk and oil.
Air passes through it at a very high speed and while some surface oil may be present the oil will be carried through and into the engine as is normal.
At lower parts of the IC the oil may pool up in corners when stopped and any excess will be picked up as the air flow travels through.

Is there a build up in the hose from IC to intake manifold? it is also part of the same airflow path. If you use a good oil to seal rings well and minimize blowby amounts and change it before the gunk stage develops, I don't think you will have a problem.
There are many vehicles which have done far more KM than yours and never had anything looked at.

SomeCant
Been here a while

Unread post by SomeCant » July 11th, 2017, 11:44 am

its my guess the op might think the egr routes through the intercooler?

this might help explain how the turbo, intercooler and egr all work

when the turbo compresses outside air the air heats up and hot air is less efficient so it is run through an intercooler to cool the air to make the system more efficient so the air running through the intercooler should just be outside air unless your turbo is leaking exhaust gas into the system.
the egr has its own cooler and you shouldn't really have anything inside the intercooler but if you really want you can unbolt it and clean it.

NZ LUX
Avid Poster

Unread post by NZ LUX » July 11th, 2017, 11:52 am

Some engines have the rocker cover breather joined into the air intake before the turbo, and the oily mist that comes from this can build up inside the intercooler fins over time. Any extra layer of oil on the fins would be acting like a heat insulator, therefore reducing the cooling capacity of the intercooler as air passes through it internally.

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » July 11th, 2017, 1:53 pm

Any film of oil will be in the IC from new and continue to be there all the vehicle life. It coats the internals of every IC on turbo vehicles. If it was a problem it would be constantly talked about and part of service intervals too.
It seems the OP has heard of it from someone and decided it is an issue.

Wash it out with a solvent and see.
Just make sure the solvent is an evaporating solvent and is GONE before restarting, otherwise you may get a runaway effect, "Help" can't stop it revving.

deslyn
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by deslyn » January 5th, 2018, 3:29 pm

Hi Mydmax, was warned of possible issues regarding this and was advised there is a catch can kit for these vehicles that fits pass side firewall.
I already had an extra fuel filter kit there and made up brackets and pipes to fit a catch can on the drivers side.
I also bought a can of special aerosol cleaner to feed thru the intake in spurts to dissolve and remove buildup.
It can be quite a problem in some units causing the intake manifold to carbon up resulting in progressive reduction in power; do some research, some of the parts supplier outlets have a video you can view on this issue.
Deslyn

Return to “Colorado”