Who's done a Front Diff drop for bigger lift on their RG?

boehamian
Getting to know the place

Re: Who's done a Front Diff drop for bigger lift on their RG

Unread post by boehamian » February 3rd, 2016, 11:19 pm

jammoj91 wrote:yes i went through performance suspension and have a full 4 inch kit in my car with diff drop drives very well, possibly due to the fact i went all bill stein.
Was interested in this kit too. Have a lot of concerns that they advised there was nothing to worry about but I still have them all the same. Is it possible you can help me with some of the questions I have?

1. How are all the angles on the drive shaft to the rear diff etc. and would there be any concerns as to reliability and longevity?
2. how much did you lift the back end suspension? and how does the car sit when a trailer is on behind and with how much weight?
3. If I only lift the front 3 inches what would you recommend lifting the back?
4. How has the reliability off all hardware been (not only from the kit but all the wear on all the joints, steering arms, uni joints on drive shaft, seals, etc.
5. How much down travel do you get out of the front suspension?
6. Do you have a long range tank and if you do does the rear driveshaft angles run into the tank at all?
7. Did you have to wedge the diff to minimise angle in the drive shaft?
8. Did you install the kit yourself and if so how easy or hard was it to install?

I hope you can help me as you have had this kit for a little while.

boehamian
Getting to know the place

Re: Who's done a Front Diff drop for bigger lift on their RG

Unread post by boehamian » August 27th, 2016, 3:02 am

jammoj91 wrote:yes i went through performance suspension and have a full 4 inch kit in my car with diff drop drives very well, possibly due to the fact i went all bill stein.
Hey mate. I too have done a suspension lift like yours through this crowd.
I am however having a few issues and am wanting to know if you can help me out? I will try and shorten the story for you.

installed kit, all worked ok. until I went too fast up hill and went turned hard left, blew out the outer cup on the cv joint.
replaced CV joint,
1 week later broke that one.
replaced with genuine one. Mechanic noticed that on full droop the CV was binding. Got a wheel alignment done. I done some tests and when wheel was hanging in air CV was binding on passengers side only. When I had wheel in air I got a second jack and jacked up the lower control arm to lift the whole assembly off the ground and make the CV angles less dramatic. I noticed that the wheel come free the more I jacked the wheel.

I done further testing. If I were to take the caster and the camber bolt on the lower control arm and wind the bolts all the way out (both a little past the measurement markings on the adjustment nut but until I could feel no more movement in the lower arm) I then noticed the CV bind gone. As soon as I started to wind either in or both in the wheel just bound right up again. This made the wheels go to far out on the wheel alignment to leave it.

Wheel aligner noticed the upper control arm was twisted, replaced this and got another alignment done. The wheel aligner advised it had improved the issue but it is still not gone.

Have you come across this issue at all?
Are you able to take some photos of both sides on the vehicle with the caster and camber bolt adjustments and the distance of thread you can see on year steering arms so I can compare to mine?
If you need anything clarified or explained a bit clearer please do not hesitate to ask. Sorry to ask, but I am trying to get to the bottom of this issue as performance suspension our out of ideas as to what it could be and I can't take the car to them as I am in alice springs.

Return to “Colorado”