Who's done a Front Diff drop for bigger lift on their RG?

Turner LTZ
I'm new, be nice!

Who's done a Front Diff drop for bigger lift on their RG?

Unread post by Turner LTZ » February 12th, 2014, 6:53 pm

hey everyone,

ive got myself a 2013 RG LTZ and so far ive got pedders 2" coils and struts in the front so my truck sits flat, but im looking at putting in 2.5" strut spacers for the front and 2"Blocks in the back.

BUTT, the cvs in the front are going to be on a bad angle so im considering getting spacers or something of the sort? any body know of any one who has done this or have any info for what i should do??

Appreciate any info

Cheers

mydmax
Need to get out more

Re: Who's done a Front Diff drop for bigger lift on their RG

Unread post by mydmax » February 12th, 2014, 7:42 pm

Effectively, you intend to lower the front diff and also lower the front wheels, is there any sense in that?
\
With the 2" lift and 2.5" spacers you won't have any downward movement of the suspension and it will be very very dangerous to dive as any small bump will make the wheels leave the ground before the body comes back down.
ie, no steering, no braking, ABS rendered useless and stability control cannot possibly correct any offline it senses.

Should be exciting though.

The rear axle with 2" down more than OE PLUS 2" more with a block, will make the tailshaft at really unusual and acute drive angles. "Shakin' all over".

Will the blocks be "tapered" to start correcting the way out tailshaft uni angles, OR are you going to get the axle spring pads cut off and welded on in a slightly different position to allow some correction of the uni angles?
Most people have trouble with barely 2'' spring lift. Yours will be a challenge and definitely illegal. Dye your hair grey so as not to attract attention.
Carry a push bike in the back, cos when you get stopped by the LE you will need transport because they won't let you drive it from there.

All sounds good but may be a learning curve.

Turner LTZ
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Turner LTZ » February 12th, 2014, 8:10 pm

so what i gather from that is if i want my truck to be as big as pictured,
1901188_260467880780022_1139399543_n.jpg
i shall be spening alot more dollars then hoped... haha

Thanks for your reply.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

scrawni
Here and there

Unread post by scrawni » July 3rd, 2014, 3:57 am

mydmax wrote:Effectively, you intend to lower the front diff and also lower the front wheels, is there any sense in that?
\Yes, you would be reducing the angle of the front drive shafts and CV joints.

With the 2" lift and 2.5" spacers you won't have any downward movement of the suspension and it will be very very dangerous to dive as any small bump will make the wheels leave the ground before the body comes back down.
ie, no steering, no braking, ABS rendered useless and stability control cannot possibly correct any offline it senses

What are you on? When you hit a bump your suspension compresses allowing the car to stay level, whats this about leaving the ground.
Should be exciting though.

The rear axle with 2" down more than OE PLUS 2" more with a block, will make the tailshaft at really unusual and acute drive angles. "Shakin' all over".

How do Patrol guys manage the acute angle of the tail shaft, if its a short shaft yes it would be an issue but over the length of the rear I fail to see it "Shakin all over."

Will the blocks be "tapered" to start correcting the way out tailshaft uni angles, OR are you going to get the axle spring pads cut off and welded on in a slightly different position to allow some correction of the uni angles?
Most people have trouble with barely 2'' spring lift. Yours will be a challenge and definitely illegal. Dye your hair grey so as not to attract attention.

Hands up who has trouble with a 2" lift

Carry a push bike in the back, cos when you get stopped by the LE you will need transport because they won't let you drive it from there.

All sounds good but may be a learning curve.

BrAdAsS
Been here a while

Unread post by BrAdAsS » July 3rd, 2014, 9:11 am

My hands up. - vibration on take off only - with 50mm lift in front.. Diff wedges are fitted.
Vehicle has previously gotten to the point where the vibrations turn into a bouncing motion when sitting on the spot on a steep incline.

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » July 3rd, 2014, 9:41 am

Scrawni
Lowering the diff and the suspension isn't reducing the angles of CV's at all, it is an attempt to not make them more angle than normal. hey usually end up more angle. The diff drop merely lessens the severity of it all.

When going over a bump, the body tends to rise AND the wheel LEGALLY has to have a prescribed amount of compression and droop ability. Road and Motoring Authorities have written it into law for that reason on retaining control of the vehicle. Drive a go kart and feel the loss of control when the wheels leave the ground because they have little compression & no droop ability.

As you make a uni drive through more than about 4 or 5 degrees it tries to OPEN itself up under high torque loading, and that causes gearboxes to jump around and vibrations. Some people detect such vibes more easily than otherS. The others just keep replacing stuffed unis which have had a shortened life. Lots of people with a 2" lift have had plenty of problems as the uni angles became more than OE and also because the uni angles at eache end of the driveshaft were not matched in angles.

BrAdAsS has found either the gearbox developed a uni induced harmonic/shudder on it's rear rubber mount or the centre bearing (if fitted) was driven into shudder mode. OE both at the same time.
Remember.
Everytime you alter something ie, modify something, it creates it's own set of problems which you then have to overcome. Apparently, many just ignore the problems, ie, Wear thick flannel undies so the seat of the pants (bum Dyno) doesn't detect anything.

Sim79
Need to get out more

Unread post by Sim79 » July 3rd, 2014, 6:24 pm

Ring Buds Customs they can SAS it :D

Tufftruckin
Here and there

Unread post by Tufftruckin » July 3rd, 2014, 7:23 pm

http://www.performancesuspension.com.au ... l-006.html

These guys supply diff drop kits ball joint spacers & 4 inch lifts for rg colorado. They are located on the gold coast

jammoj91
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by jammoj91 » July 9th, 2014, 7:43 pm

yes i went through performance suspension and have a full 4 inch kit in my car with diff drop drives very well, possibly due to the fact i went all bill stein.

Tufftruckin
Here and there

Unread post by Tufftruckin » July 9th, 2014, 7:58 pm

U should post up some pics mate. Did u fit it or pay them

scrawni
Here and there

Unread post by scrawni » August 2nd, 2014, 11:55 pm

I would not fit this kit myself if I get it for my car, nothing to do with ability but purely the fact they set the geometry back to factory, so if you are thinking about going to them it may pay to get them to fit it.

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » August 3rd, 2014, 10:26 am

The alignment might be back to factory but it is hard to see how the geometry can be the same.
Geometry and alignment are two entirely different concepts.

scrawni
Here and there

Unread post by scrawni » August 4th, 2014, 9:02 pm

Yes they are two separate things but inextricably linked, what makes you think the geometry would not be set back to standard.

These cars will not be affected by caster angle misalignment when lifted but will have the camber change, the camber will change every time the suspension compresses but this is minimised by the unequal length of the wishbones, it can also cause "bump steer" but this is minimised by the position of the steering arm, the lower the arm the more "bump steer".

If you look into the design of the spacer block you will see that it has a correction built into it to counter the camber difference of the wheel being lower in the travel of the wishbones, it puts the camber geometry back to the position it was when standard so in essence the camber is as it should be, couple this with the ability to "dial in" the geometry with offset washers on the fulcrum pins, everything is all good.

The only detriment is the loss of downward travel.

bjsr
Been here a while

Unread post by bjsr » August 4th, 2014, 11:09 pm

Ahh down travel
the thing that helps your car to handle on the road after you hit that bump
and possibly the most important thing in a capable off road vehicle. it what stops you tipping over when you lift a wheel and helps to keep driving forwards as that wheel starts to lift. IMO down travel is 100 times more important than upwards travel offroad

scrawni
Here and there

Unread post by scrawni » August 5th, 2014, 12:35 am

Very true, as for your avatar being the best 4x4xfar and with live axles you know that when on a track and the wheel goes down it will still be doing a good job.

Unfortunately most ifs wishbones are far too short to allow for a decent amount of articulation but should still not be counted out as capable and safe.

Return to “Colorado”