Ideas for mounting switches and two-ways in RG Colorado

BSP4WD
Been here a while

Ideas for mounting switches and two-ways in RG Colorado

Unread post by BSP4WD » May 14th, 2013, 2:30 pm

Hi

Whilst I love my RG LTZ, I have to admit the worst feature of it (for me anyway) is basically there is no where to mount extra switches and full screen two-way radios.

I need to mount different switches and radios in my RG for work and I've done a fair amount of planning etc. to see what I can fit where. I was originally going to mount the 4wd selector up to where the cup holder that comes in and out of the dash on the right hand side, and mount my switches there but I decided against it. My other idea was to replace the factory head unit with one of those aftermarket touch screen ones and use the space just above that and put in a gang style switch plate but as that panel curves it might not look the best.

So my last idea was this. To me, the storage area in the top centre of the dash is wasted. The VY/VZ Commodores have a gauge pod that can fit in this area so I thought this would be a great idea, even more so considering the previous model D-Max's had the option for this which of course fitted on the Colorado's.

I contacted the company that makes the aftermarket ones for the Commodore and Falcon's called SS Inductions and they said it costs them about $20,000 for tooling so they need to know they will recover that cost in sales (which is fair enough). These are injection moulded ABS plastic. I was the only one that had contacted in regards to this.

So I just wanted to see if this was of interest to any other RG owners out there? If so it would be great if you could post up if you like the idea as that way I can lead them to this topic and hopefully it might happen. Alternatively if anyone out there works in injection moulding and could help that would be great too.
I've checked with Chevrolet Brazil and they make nothing for the S-10, nor does Isuzu for the D-Max world wide either.

Thank you :D

BrAdAsS
Been here a while

Re: Ideas for mounting switches and two-ways in RG Colorado

Unread post by BrAdAsS » May 14th, 2013, 3:38 pm

As you can see, I have ARB's front/rear locker switches, Air Compressor and Fog light switches..
(yes the front locker switch illumination has died)

The UHF is slightly bigger than a single DIN size. The plastic was cut and OBD2 connector was relocated.
UHF fits flush. I have a 16-key mic that controls my UHF from the mic to make things easier.

Finding somewhere for the hanger has been the hardest part.

BSP4WD
Been here a while

Unread post by BSP4WD » May 16th, 2013, 5:03 am

That's not a bad job at all! Mines the LTZ so I have that massive climate control knob stuck right in the middle of the dash

Only problem for me is I need to fit at least 7 rocker switches, 2 x two way radios (one has everything on the hand piece and the other is a full face style one which I need to see as I get my jobs despatched by an SMS system on it), PA System, another switch that operates my rear electric window (like in the GLX-R Triton) plus another switch to operate 2 x 15" electric fans that will go in the roof of my canopy to keep my dogs cool.

In the D-Max's, their TC switch is on the right hand side of the dash, where in the Colorado's is a blank space as you know in our Colorado's the TC switch is down in the DIN space at the bottom of the centre console. So my idea there was to purchase the TC button from Isuzu and relocate it leaving a nice empty DIN space for the full screen two-way radio to fit. Only problem is Isuzu don't have any in the country and don't know when they will :crazy:

Wesbt
Here and there

Unread post by Wesbt » May 16th, 2013, 2:30 pm

Another option to consider is a roof console; http://www.consoles.com.au/Holden_Colorado_low.htm
Previous: 1974 Range Rover 2 door V8
Previous: 2002 Discovery II V8 auto, bull bar, 2" lift, Long range tank
Current: 2012 Colorado LT auto, ARB bull bar canopy and roof rack, OME suspension.

BSP4WD
Been here a while

Unread post by BSP4WD » May 16th, 2013, 3:21 pm

Thanks mate :)

Looked at those but I'm on the tall side and my head almost hits the roof inside already so if I put one of those in all the concrete between my ears will probably bust the console when my head hits it :D

Wesbt
Here and there

Unread post by Wesbt » July 21st, 2013, 10:10 pm

To add to this old post I installed my UHF this weekend, GME 3345 remote unit.
* Bolted the control box under the dash off one of the bolts through the firewall.
* Ran UHF extension wire along centre console, exits next to driver seat. UHF handset plugs in here.
Came up neat I think.
GME 3345 1.jpeg
GME 3345 2.jpeg
GME 3345 3.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Current: 2012 Colorado LT auto, ARB bull bar canopy and roof rack, OME suspension.

Nutta
Been here a while

Unread post by Nutta » July 23rd, 2013, 5:52 pm

BSP4WD

I have to ask where did the rear electric window come from?

I reckon they're a great thing but only seen them in the Triton.

cheers Wayne

BSP4WD
Been here a while

Unread post by BSP4WD » August 14th, 2013, 7:57 pm

Hi Wayne

Mine is currently being built in the USA. Hopefully it will be ready soon. It will be available for the current model Colorado/D-Max

I have one already installed in my TF Isuzu D-Max (Same as the RC Colorado)

Have a look at this topic here viewtopic.php?f=113&t=134720

Dunlops66
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Dunlops66 » June 21st, 2014, 1:32 pm

Guys, good pic and ideas here thank you.
Regards
Dunlops

boehamian
Getting to know the place

Unread post by boehamian » September 17th, 2014, 10:45 pm

Wesbt

I looked under my car (2014 model LX) and could not find the bolt you mounted to. Was it behind the floor? is there anything else mounted to it? I have a manual so it may be different.

Another few questions:
Where did you get your power feed off of? (did you come off a cigarette lighter or straight off battery)
Does yours power on while car is off or does it wire into ignition like to cigarette lighters?
Which grommet did you bring the antenna wire through?
Did you only use the one bolt or two bolts?

Wesbt
Here and there

Unread post by Wesbt » September 30th, 2014, 10:52 pm

Boehamian, more than likely is a bolt used to support the clutch pedal, about the right position. Just using one bolt as there is no weight to the unit. Power is running off the stereo. Ran the antenna wire out the rear vent as I have the antenna on my roof rack.

Gnarley

Unread post by Gnarley » November 1st, 2014, 11:01 pm

Here's my 2013 RG LTZ

Gnarley

Unread post by Gnarley » November 2nd, 2014, 4:56 pm

MineCorp at Acacia Ridge in Brisbane do a 3 gang Carlson style switch setup that clips to the front of your drivers side drink holder

boehamian

Unread post by boehamian » August 20th, 2015, 10:19 pm

gnarley, did you have to do any modifications to those switches to make them fit. If so what did you do? Also what brand of switch are they?

On another note, where have you mounted the handpiece to your microphone?

boehamian

Unread post by boehamian » November 4th, 2015, 7:23 pm

bump on this last comment.

Return to “Colorado”