View topic - Holden Colorado Key, always locking & unlocking - Help?

Holden Colorado Key, always locking & unlocking - Help?

Getting to know the place

Holden Colorado Key, always locking & unlocking - Help?

Hi,

I picked up my Holden Colorado last week, over the few days, I've enjoyed every minute of it - except, the design of the key.

I put the keys in my pocket, and every 20 seconds, I can hear the car lock and unlock. Does anyone know if there's a possible alternative for it? Or if it's even possible to get an alternative designed up?

It's doing my head in! :)

Cheers,

Big Red

Unread postby bigred15 » January 23rd, 2012, 12:08 pm

Admin

Re: Holden Colorado Key, always locking & unlocking - Help?

Maybe buy a key wallet to cover the key with when you put it in your pocket so the buttons on the key are a bit more protected?? Or hang it on your belt or a chain round your neck??

Most replacement keys for things these days tend to be a little expensive due to the chipping & electronics involved, but check with a locksmith to see what they can do - you might even be able to get a separate key & control fob or panel, or maybe even something that comes at your problem from a little bit further outside the square.
An Ex-Service person is someone who, at some stage in their life, thought enough about their country, how great it is, and how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for an amount of 'Up to and including my Life!'

Unread postby Peter Aawen » January 23rd, 2012, 12:16 pm

Thanks for the response Peter. I actually think the key wallet would probably make it worse - lol. I'll have a chat to a locksmith, see what they can do, otherwise, I'll hook it up to a lanyard or something.

Silly key design tho really, ahh well, rest of the car is great :-) Can't wait to get the bastard off-road!

Unread postby bigred15 » January 23rd, 2012, 12:27 pm

Here and there

not sure on an alternative setup. but i know if you bump the keys in your pocket and it unlocks the car, it will lock again shortly after if a door is not opened. so thats probably what keeps happening to yours.
The Minute You Stop Living - You Start Dying.

Unread postby Waza27 » January 23rd, 2012, 12:31 pm

Waza27 - Yeah, it has the auto-lock if the door is not open. Even if I just put the keys in my front or rear jeans pocket and I'm walking, it's bumping/unlocking, so perhaps hooking it to a lanyard would be the cheapest option.

Cheers

Unread postby bigred15 » January 23rd, 2012, 12:35 pm

Here and there

i know what you mean bigred. deffinately the worst key design ever. who are these people who approve this stuff?

Unread postby LagsLux » January 23rd, 2012, 4:01 pm

Been here a while

I dont know if the key is the same as the Dmax but I had the same problem. You can buy from ebay a silicone key cover which fixes the problem. It cost about 6 dollars from Thailand. I cant find the link any more as I bought mine more than 12 months ago. Never had a problem with the key since fitting the cover.

Ian

Unread postby amtravic1 » January 23rd, 2012, 4:44 pm

Need to get out more

Yes, the Dmax is the same in the key design too.
The person who designed it has never been near a vehicle I would think, they definitely haven't had one of their own keys in their pocket.
Obviously no one at Holden or Isuzu have used them either, otherwise they might have changed it if their powers of observation is intact.
I am going to glue a rim of plastic at the edges of mine to stop the triggering.
Good thing about the covers. Thanks Mal, I will investigate it.

Unread postby mydmax » January 23rd, 2012, 8:45 pm

Here and there

mal51

Bought the same, stopped the problem 99% of the time.

Unread postby CASH476 » January 24th, 2012, 9:47 am

I'm new, be nice!

Are others still having this issue? I have been since the car was new and Holden are trying to tell me they have never had another complaint about it. I would like to hear if anyone is still having issues or was it fixed for them? Thanks

Unread postby Goneftn » August 5th, 2013, 8:10 pm

Been here a while

Just buy the cover Goneftn, they are cheap, they work and yes, common complaint by anyone that owns a Colorado.

Unread postby shambles » August 6th, 2013, 11:36 am

Been here a while

I keep the garage door opener on my key ring also and pop it in the front waist of my pants and leave the keys hang out, works fine for me.

Unread postby Nutta » August 8th, 2013, 10:40 pm

I'm new, be nice!

I ordered 3 of the covers , 1 for a mate my brother & me they work good.

Unread postby 5ofus » August 29th, 2013, 10:49 am

Return to Colorado