Colorado Speaker change out

Prickle
Been here a while

Re: Colorado Speaker change out

Unread post by Prickle » February 21st, 2012, 10:23 pm

I got my new Dual cab LX-R last week... Spent the weekend replacing the Stereo Head unit and speakers, also fitted a pair of amps and a sub. the speakers are completly hidden except the tweeters which hardly stand out.
I put a set of 6.5" splits in the front, they bolted stright in where the factory ones came from, tied the crossover up behind the doorskin and fitted the tweeters where the factory ones normally fit... drilled out the perforated section and screwed the new tweeters in there, the rear speakers I mounted by gutting the factory speaker out of its cradle and fitting the new speaker to the cradle... mounted back in nicely. Amps behind the rear seat, now i just need to build a new sub enclosure and im done. :pinkgrin:

anhaslett@gmail.com
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by anhaslett@gmail.com » February 23rd, 2012, 12:55 pm

Made a start on the speaker switch and as you guys mentioned swapping out the factory speaker with a new 6.5" is no problem with the help of a couple of new holes drilled for mounting.

I did find this guide for those of you looking for more detail on the appraoch: http://www.ehow.com/how_5754328_replace ... orado.html

Qn for someone that finished the job - for the cross over, where is the factory cross over? Or, which wire do you use as the audio feed into the new aftermarket cross over?
Business at the front, party at the back

Prickle
Been here a while

Unread post by Prickle » February 23rd, 2012, 7:14 pm

I dont know if there is a factory crossover or not, but the speakers i installed had a small crossover in a tube about 3/4" round so i tied it alongside the cabling inside the door. No dramas so far

anhaslett@gmail.com
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by anhaslett@gmail.com » March 11th, 2012, 9:16 am

Thanks to everyone providing info on their stereo installs :lol: very helpful and gives confidence to get in there...

...So I thought i would upload pics of my install as I go as it may help some of you out there contemplating the approach :crazy:

This post is the speaker replacement. Overall it's pretty easy. You do have to drill mounting holes for the new 6.5" woofers
2012-03-08_19-16-01_365.jpg
---Cabling----
1) Remove the original driver, note the +ve wire by matching to +ve on the plug, then chop the plug and attach approximately 30cm of new speaker wire to the original wire feeding the factory woofer. This will be the wire to your input on your new crossovers.
2) Done worry about the cable to the tweater, you will simply cut this off and not use.
3) I soldered a new wire approx 30cm long onto my new woofer, run that cable up to the door handle.
4) My tweater came with about 15cm cable attached, which was long enough. So you now have 3 sets of wires running to the door handle ready to attach your crossover.

The tweeter should go into the factory mount. You do have to use a wee bit of force to get the factory tweeter unglued from the silver mounting plate, and I had to drill out the hole for the screw that screws the tweeter to it's mounting plate which was again no drama. I used long-nosed pliers to bend the mount a little to allow space for the cable from the tweater to feed out without getting squished.
2012-03-08_19-16-29_826.jpg
I used a draught stopper product to remove vibration between the woofer and the door.
2012-03-08_19-33-16_968.jpg
Crossover fits inside the door handle - will use hot glue like others of you suggested (once I get some) at the moment they sit in there ok. Be careful removing the handle insert I broke one of the clips off :redface: clip is at front end - have used 3M dbl-sided mounting tape to repair (not pictured) and worked ok but not ideal.
2012-03-08_19-22-12_586.jpg
2012-03-08_19-18-07_146.jpg
End result - much better sound and way better base however the factory head unit is totally underpowered for the now 260W peak sony components I put in. My audiophile mate will probably tell me I should have put on the dash right up under the windscreen as apparently the further you position the tweater from you, provided it faces you, the better - but oh well I think I prefer stealth/factory to on the dash...
2012-03-08_19-30-57_242.jpg
Tomorrow should be receiving my JVC DVD (JVC KW-AVX748) which will no doubt remedy the power issue.

Still to come > reversing camera, rear 6.5" speakers, amp, sub (possibly soundstream 13" slim with custom fibre glass enclosure)

Hope this helps...
Also, hope the head unit isn't too hard to wire in - wiring diagram anyone? Will check the forums again...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Business at the front, party at the back

boehamian
Getting to know the place

Unread post by boehamian » February 19th, 2016, 11:07 pm

When it comes to wiring diagram they are hard to come by. I have a factory workshop manual for the RC (back when I had my RC). It was a very hard manual to find but after 6 months I found one. PM your e mail and I shall try and get it to you. May send a link to my onedrive if file to big to send via e mail. Not sure if it will have stereo wiring in it but it has a lot of helpful information in it all the same. It is for both left hand and right hand drive though, so a lot of information will not be releavent.

The only other thing I could suggest is is look at the aeropro quick connect connectors you get from repco and You could work it out from them which wire goes where. Just take a photo of your stock plug to reference them.

Return to “Colorado”