Colorado Speaker change out

sarge007
I'm new, be nice!

Colorado Speaker change out

Unread post by sarge007 » September 21st, 2011, 5:15 pm

Hi guys, i got a 2009 holden colorado cab chassis, so first thing i did was change out the old head unit (stereo) and ran some 6x9 out the back behind the seat, yep was great, but them front speakers just wont cut it, so i looked up the forum and found that they wher 5 inch speakers so i went and got a set and ripd the inside trim off to find something iv never seen before, an inbuilt speaker inside its own housing. A single screw secures it at the top once u undo that, the top hinges downward and at the bottom are 2 claws that fit into a rectangular slot, the hole is big enough easy for 6 or 7 inch speakers, but i was wondering if i could buy the brackets empty anywhere because i really dont want to be drilling holes in my doors, already thought of jigsawing the old speakers out, haha just wont work, any suggestions would be great thanks :) Theres a rough diagram of what im dealing with thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sarge007
I'm new, be nice!

Re: Colorado Speaker change out

Unread post by sarge007 » September 21st, 2011, 7:03 pm

Anyone???

STEELJOCKEY
Part of the furniture

Unread post by STEELJOCKEY » September 24th, 2011, 11:30 am

Have you thought of ringing the wreckers? Try looking up Frank's Autoparts, they have a big network. And I would think anything from 2007 on (rodeo) would fit. Not sure about the earlier RA models.
My 2007 Rodeo RA7 build threadviewtopic.php?f=27&t=76391
My home built Slide-on camper viewtopic.php?f=134&t=84792

CPC
Here and there

Unread post by CPC » September 24th, 2011, 1:28 pm

I've just Dynamatted the doors on my D Max. I noticed the same thing. I think the best way would be to make up some spacers from MDF for your new speakers and screw the MDF into the door, then mount the speaker to that. I guess that's what the stereo instal mobs would do.

Chris.

YBE-10W
Avid Poster

Unread post by YBE-10W » September 24th, 2011, 6:22 pm

mate i ripped out the factory speakers and just replaced them with regular 6 1/2 splits with no hassles, the 4 holes on them were able to screw through the door skin an its all good, ive got a dvd player head unit and big mono block with sub and pumps extremely hard, MUCHHHH better than factory.

as for keeping it stock you only need to drill 4 holes for the 4 screws to hold the speaker in no jigsawing or cuttings anything,

after all its a holden colorado not a bentley

sarge007
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by sarge007 » September 24th, 2011, 9:37 pm

hahaha yeah i spose, when i had my nissan i didnt hesitate straight in drilling holes, just gotta get over the new car thing i suppose. thanks guys

Been here a while

Unread post by 037981 » September 26th, 2011, 11:45 pm

what I have done for my setup

made up 2 6 1/2 inch MDF spaces and secured them with four bolts and 11fc sika glue after having problems with vibrations my first set of MDF spaces deteriorated so the ones I made up now are fibreglass MDF for extra strength and moisture proof also recommend Dynamatte
makes a huge difference and when i shut the door it sounds like a bmw lol
turning a 2wd into a 4wd beast 3 inch straight through Taipan exhaust monster V2 piggyback ECU 5 inch left F-C II TYRE LT265/75R16 on alliedwheels Thunder Full Polish

slr1968
Getting to know the place

Unread post by slr1968 » November 14th, 2011, 11:39 am

I just installed a set of Polk 6.5" splits in my truck. They fitted without a problem. The Polk speakers come with a spacer plate that matches up with the top factory mounting hole and I just drilled another 3 holes for each speaker.

Diggzy87
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Diggzy87 » November 26th, 2011, 2:41 pm

Hey, I was just thinking of changing my head unit and putting 6x9s with a channel amp in and I came across this forum! Mint ! So I'm deciding wether to leave the hard unit in or not? Are they not bad as factory or would a aftermarket one for around $100 be the better option? Cheers

koodo
Here and there

Unread post by koodo » November 28th, 2011, 11:25 pm

Not sure where you are going to fit the 6 x 9s or have you got a single/space cab?
To run any kind of amp you are going to need an aftermarket headunit with RCA preouts. I recommend getting one with 3 RCA's that way you have RCAs for the front, rear, and a sub (for later on). Btw I wish I spent a bit more cash and got a double din screen headunit, they are just wayyyy better than the single dins.

koodo
Here and there

Unread post by koodo » November 28th, 2011, 11:29 pm

Ohh and @Sarge007 if you haven't done anything thing yet, I also fitted Polk audio 6.5" at the front and with the adaptor ring supplied and the little clamp things, I was able to install the speakers without drilling or anything, (the screw clamp thing clamps the door tighter when the screw tightens, I put them where those two holes down the bottom of the old speaker are, btw they are supplied with the Polk speaker kit.)

roger66
Here and there

Unread post by roger66 » December 10th, 2011, 7:09 am

Hi all, for those that installed split speakers to a duel cab where did you put the cross over unit.
thanks Roger....

YBE-10W
Avid Poster

Unread post by YBE-10W » December 10th, 2011, 1:30 pm

use that hot glue what ever its called like for hobby models and crap, and glue it to the dent on the inside of the door trims where the arm rest is, it fill sit in there or line it up and mount it to the door so the mould on the door trim fit around it, thats what i done

anhaslett@gmail.com
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by anhaslett@gmail.com » February 13th, 2012, 12:39 pm

just got 2010 colorado dbl cab and about to start so thanks all for the good tips...
do you reckon swap out the rear using the similar method to fronts?
do the 6x9's only work for a single cab?
Business at the front, party at the back

YBE-10W
Avid Poster

Unread post by YBE-10W » February 13th, 2012, 6:53 pm

i got single cab and only done 6 1/2" after all there only for mids and trebble, i got a 12" sub squeezed behind the seats for the rest, and with some fine tuning on my ebay gook dvd headunit it goes loud enough to actually hurt your ears and is crystal clear, what ya want with big muddys and exhaust haha
easy as job

Return to “Colorado”