Should I get the TIMING BELT done now - 40K km early?

Dougwe
Getting to know the place

Should I get the TIMING BELT done now - 40K km early?

Unread post by Dougwe » February 4th, 2019, 4:21 pm

G'day all,

I am about to have a service done on my 2014 twin cab. It will be done at 110,000km and was thinking I might get the timing belt done as well. I tow a 2.7t caravan most of the time and will be heading to QLD soon. What say you all? The book has it listed for 150,000km but I have done them in the past at 100,000km.

SomeCant
Been here a while

Re: Should I get the TIMING BELT done now - 40K km early?

Unread post by SomeCant » February 4th, 2019, 6:31 pm

that's entirely up to you.
if the one in there now is not causing a problem then getting more kms out of it cant hurt, normally the specified change period is quite adequate for the service life of the part but if you feel more comfortable getting it done then get it changed.

hoyks
Avid Poster

Unread post by hoyks » February 5th, 2019, 8:59 am

Probably a bit early. Timing belts are designed to last well past their slated replacement life, so changing it early doesn't gain you much.

The only time I really consider doing a belt early is if you are in there doing a water pump as most of the same stuff has to come out to do both.

Dougwe
Getting to know the place

Unread post by Dougwe » February 8th, 2019, 10:01 am

Thankyou for your comments SomeCant and hoyks, I have decided to leave it go this service and maybe re-visit the thought next service and maybe not. Time will tell.

I have to replace the tyres in the next couple of weeks so separating the expense's sounds better.

Return to “Colorado”