any one fitted a flashlube catch can.

unijoint
Been here a while

any one fitted a flashlube catch can.

Unread post by unijoint » March 22nd, 2017, 10:40 pm

thinking of fitting a flashlube catch can to my rg colorado and was hoping I might get some feed back on them. I had a Provent 200 on my patrol and it did a great job after fitting it the intercooler was always clean free of oil. the flashlube is a smaller unit and will fit under the bonnet much easier.

underdog1902
I'm new, be nice!

Re: any one fitted a flashlube catch can.

Unread post by underdog1902 » March 23rd, 2017, 7:17 am

I can't comment on the Flashlube unit, but I fitted Provent 200 between the brake booster & engine without much hassle in my RG.

unijoint
Been here a while

Unread post by unijoint » March 23rd, 2017, 8:29 pm

are you getting much oil in the catch can. how many klms have you done with it fitted. thanks

underdog1902
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by underdog1902 » March 24th, 2017, 6:46 am

I fitted the Provent at 5000km, it now has 44700km. The oil & filter is changed every 7500km & empty between 100-180ml from it at oil change time.

unijoint
Been here a while

Unread post by unijoint » March 26th, 2017, 12:15 pm

thanks underdog thats interesting, didnt think it would collect that much oil, so its a definite bonus having one fitted.

SomeCant
Been here a while

Unread post by SomeCant » April 7th, 2017, 9:00 am

I put a hpd catch can on mine, has everything you need to mount and install it and its machined alloy not plastic.
it catches a fair amount of oil between services approx(7500km).

it is worth installing one if you plan on keeping the vehicle for 150,000km or more.

unijoint
Been here a while

Unread post by unijoint » April 11th, 2017, 8:24 pm

I checked out the hpd catch can on you tube, looks really well made. sounds like its working well for you. have you checked the piping going into the intercooler to see if any oil is getting through.. and after fitting the can does the plastic cover on top of the motor fit back on. thanks for the info. cheers

SomeCant
Been here a while

Unread post by SomeCant » April 11th, 2017, 10:14 pm

as far as I know the egr does not route through the intercooler, only the boost from the turbo runs through that so I have never thought to check it.

I have looked into the air intake where the pipe comes from the catch can into the intake manifold and that's really clean, the hpd one does catch a fair amount of oil, I guess you could catch more if you put stainless steel wool(coarse stuff not the fine stuff) into the bottom of the can to provide more surface area for the oil to bind to.

I should also point out i do have an egr blanking plate installed with a 10mm hole in it to stop error codes being thrown and the catch can does still catch a fair bit of oil.

as for the engine cover I took that thing off and hung it in the shed. it serves no real purpose, if anything it traps heat in and seems to vibrate making more noise.

so I'm not sure if it will fit back on but here's some pics of it

Last edited by SomeCant on April 11th, 2017, 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » April 11th, 2017, 10:37 pm

SomeCant
You are right, the EGR flow doesn't go into the intercooler. It is a totally different engine system.
EGR flow is out of the exhaust manifold to cooler, to EGR valve and into the inlet manifold.

The Hose from the catch can goes to the intake airstream before the turbo, haven't seen any which go into the intake manifold.

What oil do you use, one which seals the rings better means far less blowby gas and therefore less oil mist leaving the engine and into the catch can.

SomeCant
Been here a while

Unread post by SomeCant » April 11th, 2017, 10:55 pm

mydmax wrote: The Hose from the catch can goes to the intake airstream before the turbo, haven't seen any which go into the intake manifold.
yeah I didn't mean the manifold its self I was getting at the pipe or airstream as you put it that goes to the manifold.
the egr on the collie comes into that pipe just after the air cleaner/filter and looking at that pipework after the egr point its pretty clean, its not totally oil free when you rub your finger on it but it is still really clean.
it would be a lot worse without the can for sure.

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » April 12th, 2017, 8:54 am

I think you are mixing up the systems a bit. The EGR doesn't go into the intake, do you mean crankcase breather goes in there.
If it was EGR exhaust gas flow it would then be going through the turbo and heating the intake air more than normal. It would also be BLACK in the turbo compressor.

SomeCant
Been here a while

Unread post by SomeCant » April 12th, 2017, 5:57 pm

mydmax wrote:I think you are mixing up the systems a bit. ....

yeah you are right I mean pcv, don't know why I was thinking of egr.

unijoint
Been here a while

Unread post by unijoint » April 23rd, 2017, 7:23 pm

thanks for the photos somecant looks really neat.

GidgeeHunter
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by GidgeeHunter » March 9th, 2018, 7:43 am

Old thread but: https://youtu.be/XFDQI-NN2MU for the Flashlube

My question is more basic, does fitting one affect your warranty? Actually I checked, it does because they mess with manufacturer calibrated PCV, that can be good or bad, but since bad is a risk and good can't be proven the warranty is void. So don't fit one if you are under warranty.

Also, I'm not sure I can see the overall benefit. What is the catch can 'protecting' anyway?

Dmaxqld
Been here a while

Unread post by Dmaxqld » March 11th, 2018, 8:23 am

Umm, diesels do not have a PCV valve AFAIK.

Modern diesels use many emission control systems. The first was recircultaing the blowby back to the intake instead of venting to the atmosphere. Next was Catalytic Converters, then EGR systems (Euro 4), then DPF (Euro 5) and soon Adblu (Euro 6).

The advanatage of a Catch Can is the reduction of oil mist entering the intake manifold because the EGR system also vents into the intake manifold. Combine oil and carbon deposits and eventually you will clog the intake manifold.

Tink

Return to “Colorado”