Driving over corrugations

Got some advice to share or a question to ask? Heres the place to do it!
rodw
Avid Poster

Re: Driving over corrugations

Unread post by rodw » October 17th, 2010, 8:27 pm

steve.j wrote:I find about 80-90ks is quick enough on bad roads. If conditions permit i will travel on the right hand side too, seems to make a bit of a difference going against the corrugations. Generaly you will see dust coming long before you see an oncoming vehicle.
Agree absolutely! You need to pick the best line on th eroad and it can be on either side. Just make sure you are back on the left for corners, crests and oncoming traffic.

DJR96
Need to get out more

Unread post by DJR96 » October 20th, 2010, 2:13 pm

Too right. If conditions allow I'll even put my wheels on top of the loose ridges between the well worn ruts. Certainly loose and can be a real balancing act, but it helps keep the road surface more even and level. If enough people on a local road do that, the road lasts much longer between grading, and the surface is not so severe with exposed rocks, potholes or wash along ruts.
Cheers, Dave.
RCV Supertourer build:- [url]http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=36370[/url]

bhubesi69
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by bhubesi69 » November 9th, 2010, 11:52 am

Duncan , stick to what you are comfortable with. Like most of the others have said , drive to the conditions , drop tyre presures to suit the terrain and have self preservation ( and vehicle preservation) on top of the list of priorities. It sounds like you have a fair bit of experience with offroading so just keep going with your common sense approach and keep safety first.

On a recent trip to Cape York where we did over 4000km of dirt road driving , most of it corrugated, we varied our speed between 40 km per hour up to 110 km per hour. It all depended on the road surface. Our average speed would have been around 75 to 80 km per hour , this is where we were most comfortable at , allowing enough time to react to changes in surface and so on.

brett1989
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by brett1989 » February 7th, 2015, 4:56 pm

G'day Guy's

I did a bit of testing by measuring the vibration inside my 150 series Prado. I live on the Great Central rd (240km west of Uluru) and decided i needed to get a bit scientific around this to find out what is actually best.

I have the results up on line if your interested.

http://www.yourtripright.com/driving-co ... roads.html

Cheers Brett

Dmaxqld
Been here a while

Unread post by Dmaxqld » February 7th, 2015, 7:01 pm

Excellent research. Thanks for sharing

Return to “Driving Tips and Techniques”