current road conditions in the outback

Got some advice to share or a question to ask? Heres the place to do it!
Corindi

current road conditions in the outback

Unread post by Corindi » July 9th, 2010, 12:41 pm

This thread is for exchanging information on the current road conditions in the outback. Off topic posts will be removed as to make it an easier tool to use and find the information you are seekeing.

If you have current information, please put the area you are refering to in your post title.
www.BillabongFurniture.com.au

Timber
Been here a while

Canning Stock Route

Unread post by Timber » July 9th, 2010, 6:38 pm

Gday People

Please be aware that with recent rains, there are a lot of very deep ruts going across the road. Some are about 150mm deep and some 300mm wide, which can cause severe damage to your vehicle if hit at any speed.

The worst areas are generally between Well 51 and Mindibungu, and some bad areas just north of Kunawaritji (Well 33).

Advice would be to ring ahead from Wiluna to Kunawaritji, and estimate, within a day, of your expected arrival at your Kunawaritji. If going further from there, ring from Kunawaritji to Billiluna, again advising of your expected arrival date.

Safe Travels and enjoy this beautiful country
The bush has one advantage over the city...It aint the city.
VKS-737 Mobile 2153

Timber
Been here a while

Tanami Track

Unread post by Timber » July 9th, 2010, 6:45 pm

Gday People

The Tanami Track is currently shut (Friday 9 July 2010) to non-residents, which means only people living out here are permitted to travel on the Tanami at the moment.

The Shire of Halls Creek should be opening the Track again on the weekend for 4 wheel drive vehicles only. No trucks, trailers or caravans.

The Tanami, although damp, is quickly drying, and is still in good condition between the Halls Creek turn off and Billiluna, Sturt Creek has water in it but is passable, and from there to the NT Border the road is terrible.

Just adjacent to the NT border the Tanami has some terrible washouts, leaving gaps across the road which can damage vehicles, so please be very careful there if coming from the Alice Springs side.

The Golden Rule applies, get there slower and you will get there, drive like a lunatic on these roads and you may not leave the area. Take Care Always.

Saturday 10 July 2010 - Update - Thwere has been light rain for the last 12 hours and the roads all around this area have become really slippery. Take extreme care when driving the area.
VKS-737 Mobile 2153

STEELJOCKEY
Part of the furniture

South Australia, NSW outback track Information

Unread post by STEELJOCKEY » July 11th, 2010, 6:00 pm

Here is a handy page to follow track closures, restrictions and warnings.

Outback Roads Temporary Closures, Restrictions and Warnings Report - Transport SA

NSW Western Region

Queensland - 131940 Traffic and Travel Information - Home
My 2007 Rodeo RA7 build threadviewtopic.php?f=27&t=76391
My home built Slide-on camper viewtopic.php?f=134&t=84792

Timber
Been here a while

Tanami & Canning Stock Route Update

Unread post by Timber » July 17th, 2010, 3:43 pm

Hi all

Both roads are currently dry. There are deep ruts in some places, and small sharp stones do protrude in some of these ruts, which may slash tyres, please be careful.

The Tanami Track is being graded currently. Through Ruby Plains Station they are doing roads in preparartion for a muster, and the Halls Creek Shire is regularly moving the road camp doing diefferent areas.

Betweren Billuna and the Balgo turn off the road is in shocking condition, so please ne extremely careful there.

I would be happy for the Moderators to remove the first two items above by me.

Cheers and safe driving all.
VKS-737 Mobile 2153

STEELJOCKEY
Part of the furniture

Unread post by STEELJOCKEY » July 17th, 2010, 6:50 pm

You can do that yourself Timber, hit edit, then delete option in the bottom right corner of that post.

I'll delete this when you've got it
My 2007 Rodeo RA7 build threadviewtopic.php?f=27&t=76391
My home built Slide-on camper viewtopic.php?f=134&t=84792

Mauarman
I'm new, be nice!

Re: current road conditions in the outback

Unread post by Mauarman » February 22nd, 2012, 9:37 pm

Near Cloncurry
link road between the ernest henry mine and fort constantine is currently closed to flood damage on the river crossing

dammit01
Here and there

Re: current road conditions in the outback

Unread post by dammit01 » March 6th, 2012, 10:54 am

just checked for road closures around birdsville most are closed or restricted to 4wd

Return to “Driving Tips and Techniques”