Towing a car...

Got some advice to share or a question to ask? Heres the place to do it!
lance41
I'm new, be nice!

Towing a car...

Unread post by lance41 » June 22nd, 2009, 8:27 pm

Got a 2002 2.5L V6 landrover freelander rated at 2000kg towing capacity. Will it tow an old v8 holden ute (im guessing around 1500kg? no idea) without breaking ***** off?....not sure how much the trailer and car would weigh.

Old fella rekons that my car will fall apart...

cheers

toy yoda

Unread post by toy yoda » June 22nd, 2009, 9:00 pm

No it wont...

the tow rating on the vehicle is 2000kg...yes a holden ute is about 1500kg, but any car trailer worth a pinch of ***** weighs in well over 500kg...so that puts you over

also legally with that tow weight you require 4 wheel brakes on trailer with an emergency breakaway fitted

also the tow rating on the vehicle generally is useless.....as most state laws prohibit towing more than your tow vehicles weight!! so you cant tow 2000kg by law even though vehicle manufacturer claims it can
________________________www.loveday4x4adventures.com________________________
thanks to... APM Radiators.. DRW automatics..Boss Racing Diffs..Sprint Auto Parts.. Bob Jane Marion..Noarlunga refrigeration..J&S Suspension (et4wd)..Heinrich Performance Dyno..

lance41
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by lance41 » June 22nd, 2009, 9:15 pm

that sucks

thanks for that

cheers

fpv_83
Been here a while

Unread post by fpv_83 » June 22nd, 2009, 9:46 pm

You'll b right mate
just take it easy with smooth steering and early braking and you shouldnt have a problem.
Almost any car trailer will carry any sedan or something else other than a 4wd.
Dont know what state you are in but here in NSW i have never heard or seen someone have trouble with the 5 o in regards to trailers

So yeh it'll tow no worries
Cheers
Mark
Come into my shed
[url]http://www.4wdaction.com.au/shed/index.php?id=2897&im=1[/url]

Work Hard, Play Harder!

toy yoda

Unread post by toy yoda » June 22nd, 2009, 10:10 pm

fpv_83 wrote:You'll b right mate
just take it easy with smooth steering and early braking and you shouldnt have a problem.
Almost any car trailer will carry any sedan or something else other than a 4wd.
Dont know what state you are in but here in NSW i have never heard or seen someone have trouble with the 5 o in regards to trailers

So yeh it'll tow no worries
Cheers
Mark

its not an issue of the trailer taking the load....it is an issue of safety in an emergency situation

.,...hence the laws regarding 4wheel; brakes and a breakaway system..at a guess 70% of all car trailers on the road in aust are illegal once they have a load on them as they usually have 2 wheel hydraulic brakes
also thats why you are restricted to tow less that the tow vehicles weight
..lets not even get into the fact that you would also be exceeding the vehicle manufacturers ratings

whilst you may be able to run like that all day every day for 10 years with out an issue.....is it worth the risk, remember you cant predict an accident
________________________www.loveday4x4adventures.com________________________
thanks to... APM Radiators.. DRW automatics..Boss Racing Diffs..Sprint Auto Parts.. Bob Jane Marion..Noarlunga refrigeration..J&S Suspension (et4wd)..Heinrich Performance Dyno..

lance41
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by lance41 » June 22nd, 2009, 10:12 pm

im in QLD,

we were gonna hire a trailer but now i found out the car weighs about 1700-1800kg, probably not gonna happen hey...ahah

thanks for the advice

watsea
Here and there

Unread post by watsea » June 25th, 2009, 1:52 am

I hired a car trailer a couple of years ago (to carry a boat trailer that was being repaired). I noted that the empty weight of the four wheel car trailer was 750 - 800kgs. Looks like you will go overweight.
-------------------------------
1999 Prado V6 Bilstein Shocks & King Springs, Coopers ATRs, DIY Roof Basket
2003 Jimny

dan86
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by dan86 » June 25th, 2009, 6:00 pm

It is not worth the risk mate, if something was to go wrong your insurance company will walk away from you. If you injure some one or worse kill someone you will be up for criminal liabilities or even manslaughter. Pay to get it towed on a tilt tray, it is not worth the risk otherwise.

jackotree
Been here a while

Unread post by jackotree » July 15th, 2009, 9:35 pm

gday
i have towed some cars around abit and found that most hire car trailers are around 800 to 900 kilos and im not sure on the legal side of things but have senn commondoors tow other coomndoors and hyw patrol didnt look twice even when my mate jacked knifed one over the blue mountainsbut if you do tow it your self get the right sized trailor for a coommonwhore ute it should be a 15ft trailor
i had to towe a mazda b2600 600ks behined a f150 lwb 4x4 on a 12ft trailor and i got the worst wobbles ever due to the weight was not placed right due to the small trailor and my b2600 is only 1600kilos
best of luck and i not tryin to scare you
ps if you tow it take your time

i read it wrong and was thinking defender i woudnt tow it with a freelander

Roadwarrior
Avid Poster

Unread post by Roadwarrior » July 16th, 2009, 12:54 am

Yeah, I used to tow my V8 XB Falcon GT show car on a trailer. The trailer was 800 Kg and we towed it with a later model EB falcon. You will definately be breaking a few rules with your set up. I would suggest using a trailer with electric brakes and load levelling bars as used on caravans. The freelander might lift the backwheels with the weight of the V8. You could always flat tow it as long as the ute is registered (and has brakes)

I wouldn't do the trailer thing, find someone with a bigger car to do it. you'll be up for the damage on the trailer as well as both cars if you come unstuck as your insurance will be cactus.

A bloke, lost his show car, his tow car and his trailer on his way to summer nats in Canberra back when we were young and silly. A total of nearly $ 80 000.

Fintan
Been here a while

Unread post by Fintan » July 16th, 2009, 1:26 pm

one word..."DEADLY" if you have to break the freelander will just be like a plough strapped to the front of a 2+ tonne cannonball. no offence but I wouldnt tow anything more then a 6x4 with a freelander dont think the motor will thank u for it.

BMKal
Part of the furniture

Unread post by BMKal » July 16th, 2009, 4:17 pm

Fintan wrote:one word..."DEADLY" if you have to break the freelander will just be like a plough strapped to the front of a 2+ tonne cannonball. no offence but I wouldnt tow anything more then a 6x4 with a freelander dont think the motor will thank u for it.

You'd be surprised. The engine in the Freelander isn't the problem - it'll do it on its ear.

But on the safety side of things - spot on. In an emergency, the Freelander simply isn't big or heavy enough to control the load you'll have behind it. Unless you've got hold of a very good trailer with a top notch brake set-up (and you won't find these at any trailer hire place), you would run a high risk of losing it in any emergency situation.

As others have suggested, tilt tray, or just get hold of a larger tow vehicle - can't go wrong with something like Defender / Discovery, Cruiser, Patrol or similar. A couple of tonne behind any of these isn't an issue.

Fintan
Been here a while

Unread post by Fintan » July 16th, 2009, 4:52 pm

BMKal wrote:You'd be surprised. The engine in the Freelander isn't the problem - it'll do it on its ear.

But on the safety side of things - spot on. In an emergency, the Freelander simply isn't big or heavy enough to control the load you'll have behind it. Unless you've got hold of a very good trailer with a top notch brake set-up (and you won't find these at any trailer hire place), you would run a high risk of losing it in any emergency situation.

As others have suggested, tilt tray, or just get hold of a larger tow vehicle - can't go wrong with something like Defender / Discovery, Cruiser, Patrol or similar. A couple of tonne behind any of these isn't an issue.

your bias you drive a land rover hahaha

RoryE
Been here a while

Unread post by RoryE » July 16th, 2009, 9:37 pm

ok ill let yous all no. its prob stupid now thinking of it.
i use to work in a hire company. we had a 2000 single cab 4x4 hilux ute trayback. we towed a 3t Excavator almost every day with it. never once had a problem. best bet for you is find a hire mob with say a small tipper truck and a car trailer fitted with electric brakes.
at my old place (national hire) we would do that say for 200$ A day.

Not sure on prices now tho
1991 [b]Holden Jackaroo[/b] - [b]Shorty[/b] - Sitting on Black [b]31x10.5x15 Simex Centerpiedes[/b], Uniden [b]Uhf[/b] -[b]LSD[/b] In Rear - [b]BASS MACHINE :D:D:D:D[/b]

nifty nev
Avid Poster

Unread post by nifty nev » July 17th, 2009, 1:15 am

try toll transport... i got my terrano from sydneu to adelaide for 390 bucks.... i couldnt have flown there and driven it back cheaper than that....

Return to “Driving Tips and Techniques”