Hypothetical Scenario.

Got some advice to share or a question to ask? Heres the place to do it!
flexytj
Been here a while

Unread post by flexytj » April 27th, 2008, 8:53 pm

let the tyres down to 6 psi 2 low on the rev limiter all the way
pop 2 beads off in the process roll the zook , then claim the insurance and buy a real 4x4 with decent rubber and an electric winch .
bragging about having 31 inch tyres , its a jeep thing

orejap
Been here a while

Unread post by orejap » April 28th, 2008, 10:31 am

Magnat wrote:The Scene

You and a Mate are out 4x4ing. You Have a 93 LWB Suzuki Vitara and he has a 91 Seirra.. Both Stock and Both Manual.
Your on a Trail and it leads down into a valley with a river that runs through the middle.. too deep to cross. On Your decent the Weather is slightly overcast but you don't think its going to rain..

The Way down is a nice well kept trail that has some loose vegetation each side of the path, no real thick trees just sapplings and dead wood
At the Bottom of the Hill is 3 tree's that the path winds through..
So your Decent was easy, Low range 1st gets you down and you continue on your way exploring all the Valley has to Offer..

The Problem
Whilst you were exploring the far side of the Valley close to the river a rain storm passes over the trail leading back out. You arrive at the base of the decent, and discover, it has been turned into Clay. This is your only path out.. There is a 50 metre ascent you have to make to get to ground that will offer your All Terrain Tyres enough grip to pull you out..

Remebering it is Clay, so the further you travel, the more full your tyres get..

The Equipment on Board
Your Equipment is : Each Vehicle has the standard recovery kit. So D-bolts and 9 Tonne Snatch.
Both have All Terrains fitted..
You have food and Water to wait out 2 days if needed..
You have UHF's
And a Hand winch with 2 metres of Wire and a 4 Tonne Pulling load..

How would you get Out ??

Burn your mates Suzi & wait for help to arrive. If no help in a couple of days burn second suzi & wait for Parks Ranger in Pajero to get you out.

Davo1
Been here a while

Unread post by Davo1 » April 28th, 2008, 1:58 pm

What happens when the Paj gets stuck??????

ROBSKI - I hope that the water doesn't uncover that "object" we buried last trip hey? (maniacal laughter)
100 series Turbo-diesel Std, front & rear lockers, 12000lb Tigerz11 winch with plasma, 33" muddies

Visit my Shed and the 100 series Cruiser

ROBSKI
Forum Clown

Unread post by ROBSKI » April 28th, 2008, 2:22 pm

Davo1 wrote:What happens when the Paj gets stuck??????

ROBSKI - I hope that the water doesn't uncover that "object" we buried last trip hey? (maniacal laughter)

We swore we'd never mention that again bro....;)
opti wrote:Yep a massive 100kw engine that wouldn't pull jesus off his cross .

Magnat
Avid Poster

Unread post by Magnat » April 28th, 2008, 6:32 pm

Rangers use Hilux's, the New ones, in our area..
Although a few of the Old 3 litre ones still floating around...
But there always clean so I am not sure they actually go offroad...
2002 Suzuki XL-7

CHRISMAV
Part of the furniture

Unread post by CHRISMAV » April 28th, 2008, 6:33 pm

Lower tyre pressures to about 10 psi, give it a crack in the first car. First car will usually make it on clay. It is only 50m with light weight suzy's.
Have a crack in the 2nd car, may only make it 1/2 way. Join 2 straps together and tow the rest of the way up.
92 Maverick - Gone but not forgotten.... [url]http://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=50425[/

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » April 28th, 2008, 6:47 pm

You can actually make 'CHAINS' out of rope, knotted rags, wire loops rim diameter and sticks across the tread, all sorts of things.

Have actually USED rope chains to get 2 vehicles (1 towing an 'off-road' Horse Float full of riders gear and horse food) up just such a hill in the Vic H/C during a blizzard that converted the track to a ski Jump!

But it could be fun using bits of a Zook instead?!
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Magnat
Avid Poster

Unread post by Magnat » April 28th, 2008, 10:45 pm

Peter @ Aawen4x4 wrote:You can actually make 'CHAINS' out of rope, knotted rags, wire loops rim diameter and sticks across the tread, all sorts of things.

Have actually USED rope chains to get 2 vehicles (1 towing an 'off-road' Horse Float full of riders gear and horse food) up just such a hill in the Vic H/C during a blizzard that converted the track to a ski Jump!

But it could be fun using bits of a Zook instead?!

So do you mean attaching Sticks to the tyres to try and achieve the same effect as a Sand Paddle??

2002 Suzuki XL-7

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » April 28th, 2008, 11:13 pm

It'd be a bit easier to tie sticks (and they'd need to be substantial) all the way across the tread, not just half way like the sand paddles, and with wire or rope holding the edges down as tightly as you could, sorta like ladder chains.

I dunno how long you'd want to put into making them, but given that the hypothetical didn't have a time frame on it, you could do it that way, altho I'd be tempted to take a little short cut and just use rope to make a couple (maybe even 4!) 'rope ladders' then wrap them around the tyres and secure them as tightly as possible on the treads, which is what I did when I found we weren't gonna get out of our little valley without more traction than we had! The 'Rope Chains' worked well, but if it'd been heavier snow, we would've needed summat like those sand paddles to get out, and billets of wood across the tread would've been the next attempt! Luckily we didn't need it.

Cheers!
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

fullmetaljacket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by fullmetaljacket » April 28th, 2008, 11:51 pm

ok heres what i'd do,

if the recovery kit has a snatch block, and tree protector (wich most do, but you could improvise if the situation gets dire), fit block and protector to the closest tree (of the 3 trees) use whatever straps etc and hook through snatch block and an end to both zuks. Drive one zuk backwards to slingshot the other forwards up the slope, ancor the furthermost uptrack zuk to the tree and hand winch the other up to the same level. Repeat same process till you reach the 50mtr mark. Go back to civilisation and buy some mud tyres, a winch and check the wheather channel:crazy:
78 BJ40, 4" lift, 33's
82 HJ60, 4.5" lift, 33's
09 ML Triton GLXR, 3.5" lift, 32's

Harb
Need to get out more

Unread post by Harb » April 28th, 2008, 11:59 pm

Their Zooks.....carry em up.
The Mother Ship Lands on December 21 in a town near you

steveandviv
Need to get out more

Unread post by steveandviv » April 29th, 2008, 2:00 pm

fullmetaljacket wrote:ok heres what i'd do,

if the recovery kit has a snatch block, and tree protector (wich most do, but you could improvise if the situation gets dire), fit block and protector to the closest tree (of the 3 trees) use whatever straps etc and hook through snatch block and an end to both zuks. Drive one zuk backwards to slingshot the other forwards up the slope, ancor the furthermost uptrack zuk to the tree and hand winch the other up to the same level. Repeat same process till you reach the 50mtr mark. Go back to civilisation and buy some mud tyres, a winch and check the wheather channel:crazy:

See I was thinking that as well but got put off by the sapling comment thinking you can't use them cause there too small and the other trees are dead.
NM Paj - 2.5 Lift - 81 Long Range tank - UHF - Rhino Rack - Dual Batteries - Hella 4000 Spotties - ARB Bar - Cargo Barrier - Custom Shelves - GPS - Snorkle - Ox TJM Winch - MT MTZ - Front ARB Locker

TheOtherLeft
Been here a while

Unread post by TheOtherLeft » April 29th, 2008, 3:13 pm

Magnat wrote: And a Hand winch with 2 metres of Wire and a 4 Tonne Pulling load..

WTF are you doing with only 2m of wire? Makes a hand winch pretty useless.

Or did you mean 20m of wire?

I have a cable puller but carry a 10m ratchet strap plus a few other straps I can join in parallel to get extra length. But then I again I always 4WD with the club.

You could always use your spare tyre as a ground anchor and winch yourself up the hill. Very painful and slow, but it'll probably get the Today Tonight and ACA idiots out there to film you digging great big tyre sized holes in the track.
2002 SWB Grand Vitara
Lifted and Locked

Patrolman Pat
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Patrolman Pat » April 29th, 2008, 4:50 pm

fullmetaljacket wrote:ok heres what i'd do,

Not sure it's going to work if the trees are at the bottom of the hill, plus how does a strap run through a snatch block ??
Magnat wrote:The Scene
......... At the Bottom of the Hill is 3 tree's that the path winds through....
I carry a 20m length of plasma rope as part of the recovery kit as a winch extension strap, simply because it can be threaded through a snatch block if needed
Don't follow me. I won't make it.

fullmetaljacket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by fullmetaljacket » April 29th, 2008, 10:03 pm

Patrolman Pat wrote:Not sure it's going to work if the trees are at the bottom of the hill, plus how does a strap run through a snatch block ??

too true, could use a bow shackle insted of the snatch block, but not the safest idea (friction frayed strap), and yes, a wasted excercise if the trees are to low on the track to gain any real ground

but the real question is, if both zuks are on a conveyor belt..............
78 BJ40, 4" lift, 33's
82 HJ60, 4.5" lift, 33's
09 ML Triton GLXR, 3.5" lift, 32's

Return to “Driving Tips and Techniques”