Hypothetical Scenario.

Got some advice to share or a question to ask? Heres the place to do it!
Magnat
Avid Poster

Hypothetical Scenario.

Unread post by Magnat » April 27th, 2008, 1:37 pm

The Scene

You and a Mate are out 4x4ing. You Have a 93 LWB Suzuki Vitara and he has a 91 Seirra.. Both Stock and Both Manual.
Your on a Trail and it leads down into a valley with a river that runs through the middle.. too deep to cross. On Your decent the Weather is slightly overcast but you don't think its going to rain..

The Way down is a nice well kept trail that has some loose vegetation each side of the path, no real thick trees just sapplings and dead wood
At the Bottom of the Hill is 3 tree's that the path winds through..
So your Decent was easy, Low range 1st gets you down and you continue on your way exploring all the Valley has to Offer..

The Problem
Whilst you were exploring the far side of the Valley close to the river a rain storm passes over the trail leading back out. You arrive at the base of the decent, and discover, it has been turned into Clay. This is your only path out.. There is a 50 metre ascent you have to make to get to ground that will offer your All Terrain Tyres enough grip to pull you out..

Remebering it is Clay, so the further you travel, the more full your tyres get..

The Equipment on Board
Your Equipment is : Each Vehicle has the standard recovery kit. So D-bolts and 9 Tonne Snatch.
Both have All Terrains fitted..
You have food and Water to wait out 2 days if needed..
You have UHF's
And a Hand winch with 2 metres of Wire and a 4 Tonne Pulling load..

How would you get Out ??
2002 Suzuki XL-7

Z()LTAN
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Z()LTAN » April 27th, 2008, 1:48 pm

thrash factor!

They are only zukis how hard can it be?

On a more serious note:

How far from civilization are we?
www.Outlaws4x4.com

Magnat
Avid Poster

Unread post by Magnat » April 27th, 2008, 1:51 pm

No Mobile Phone Coverage.

Its a 2 Hour drive to the nearest Fuel stop and about 5 Hours walking to the nearest farm house
2002 Suzuki XL-7

Z()LTAN
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Z()LTAN » April 27th, 2008, 2:57 pm

put the cars on the highest ground you can then start walking.

By the sounds of it there is no way you can get a stocky up the hill.
www.Outlaws4x4.com

toy yoda

Unread post by toy yoda » April 27th, 2008, 3:01 pm

have you got a helmet!!!!
________________________www.loveday4x4adventures.com________________________
thanks to... APM Radiators.. DRW automatics..Boss Racing Diffs..Sprint Auto Parts.. Bob Jane Marion..Noarlunga refrigeration..J&S Suspension (et4wd)..Heinrich Performance Dyno..

ROBSKI
Forum Clown

Unread post by ROBSKI » April 27th, 2008, 3:11 pm

KILL ya mate then you have enough food and water for 4 days.
Then try getting out in his car, if ya roll it or smash it up put his limp and lifeless stinking corpse in it so it looks like a tragic accident...

Robski
opti wrote:Yep a massive 100kw engine that wouldn't pull jesus off his cross .

Patrolman Pat
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Patrolman Pat » April 27th, 2008, 3:18 pm

Water's not an issue, you are by a river and it has just rained. 2 days food can be made to last at least 4 days if you need it to.
Presumably you checked the weather forecast, if more rain is likely get the car away from the river if that's an issue, if it's late camp the night in the car, no point walking in the dark on a slippery trail.
Presumably someone knows where you were going (they should) and will miss you next morning. If not walk to the farm (possibly leaving one person with the vehicles) during daylight.
If no rain forecast you may very well be able to drive out next day.
Don't follow me. I won't make it.

RaeNTroy
Avid Poster

Unread post by RaeNTroy » April 27th, 2008, 3:26 pm

ok-im thinkin maybe this DID happen and you are now at home-so the next question is-how long are you going to keep us hangin on until you tell us how you came out of it??? :D
[align=center][color="Blue"]HIS: 1986 Diahatsu Rocky[/color],[color="blue"][color="blue"][color="Purple"]HERS: 1993 Toyota Landcruiser[/color][/color][/color]
[color="Orange"]PROJECT: Rocktrolodore[/color][/align]

Magnat
Avid Poster

Unread post by Magnat » April 27th, 2008, 4:08 pm

Well.. The way I would have Approached it is

1. There are sapplings around and dead wood.. Laying these at intervals across the clay would provide additional grip on the clay. This would aid your ascent up the clay..

2. Selecting 2nd Low, should be enough to provide Torque and momentum to grip the wood that you have just laid.. Being a 50 metre ascent it could be done in around 2 hours if the both of you co operated..

The reason why I listed this as a Hypothetical was to see how people would have dealt
with it...

I have already decided not to go 4x4ing with ROBSKI... incase he gets stuck lol...
2002 Suzuki XL-7

Trojan
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Trojan » April 27th, 2008, 4:51 pm

I'd start off with throwing the cable puller in the river and cursing why i never bought something a little more practical for vehicle recovery (atleast a proper handwinch or high lift and all appropriate hardware)

Moshe
Been here a while

Unread post by Moshe » April 27th, 2008, 5:23 pm

2nd gear high range flat stick and when it stops start walking

Mikey0211
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Mikey0211 » April 27th, 2008, 6:55 pm

I would crack a tinnie.. put on some tunes... recline the seat back.... put my feet up.. and wait till Mcgyver comes to save the day..

I'm sure he would be able to build a front and rear locker out of some the the dead wood and leaves around the tracks....

ROBSKI
Forum Clown

Unread post by ROBSKI » April 27th, 2008, 7:00 pm

Ah if you only had a chainsaw...
Just fire that baby into life and watch the tree huggers come a runnin. Then get their lazy dole bludging arses to push the two pretend 4X4's up that slope....

Robski
opti wrote:Yep a massive 100kw engine that wouldn't pull jesus off his cross .

Mikey0211
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Mikey0211 » April 27th, 2008, 7:25 pm

BWAHAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can just imagine it:D

cruiseryobbo
Been here a while

Unread post by cruiseryobbo » April 27th, 2008, 8:25 pm

robskis method has my vote :D
Don't Mess With The YobMobile :D :D
[u][color=#812301][url=http://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/shed/index.php?id=1431&im=1]The YobMobile's Shed![/url][/color][/u][url=http://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/shed/index.php?id=1431&im=1]http://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/shed/index.php?id=1431&im=1[/url]

Return to “Driving Tips and Techniques”