early 80s L/cruiser - what are the do's & don'ts?

Got some advice to share or a question to ask? Heres the place to do it!
brodi97
I'm new, be nice!

early 80s L/cruiser - what are the do's & don'ts?

Unread post by brodi97 » September 27th, 2015, 3:00 pm

hey guys, im new to this site and very new to 4wd in general and figured this is the place to ask.
i have recently bought a 1991 land cruiser gxl efi. from what i can tell its in great condition and have just under 300,000 km
its a 4.0L straight 6 petrol EFI engine (3f-e) and an automatic. i also have a centre diff lock. i was wondering if anyone can inform me of the do's and the donts. the good and the bad, and just generally how everything works/best way to use it (e.g the centre diff lock ect) and some tips on how to 4wd well would also be appreciated, from what i understand about the centre diff lock its automatically engaged when in low range? if so whats the button for? and also not sure how the hub locks work? i assumed they would automatically engage when put into low range, or is that just the centre diff? any and all help/opinions would be appreciated.
thanks
also sorry if this post is in the wrong section

hoffman_91
I'm new, be nice!

Re: early 80s L/cruiser - what are the do's & don'ts?

Unread post by hoffman_91 » October 2nd, 2015, 5:16 pm

hey brodi97,
I own a 105 series cruiser with the 4.5ltr 1fz-fe thirsty donk, which i believe is the same as yours. the difference being is the shell and maybe that i don't have a dizzy and run coil packs instead. I bought the car from the old man who's had it since new. It's been around australia including simpson desert, kimberlies and cape york twice. long the story short, the engine, transmission, drivetrain and vehicle are unstoppable and indestructible providing they've been looked after, serviced accordingly etc.
The running gear is a full time 4x4 set up, meaning that unlike part time 4x4, where drive is supplied directly to the front and rear diffs from the gearbox/transfer case, the drive runs through a third diff (centre diff) which is in the transfer case. This turns all 4 wheels but like any diff, if you loose traction to the front, you will get no power to the rear and vice versa. By locking the centre diff (Hi/lo range) your car is essential like a 'normal' part time 4x4.
I'm not sure if going to lo range will lock the centre diff as i have never done it. I would lock the centre diff using the switch and then use lo range if need be. Also, toyota have a manufacturers warning to not engage the centre diff when cornering for obvious reasons, so i just do it when i stationary and in neutral. Having it in neutral also helps to engage/disengage as sometimes you'll need to rock forward/back.
Also if you have front hub locks on your fzj80, its an after market mod(thats in the future for me=]) which enables your car to be a part time 4x4, providing drive to the rear wheels. if you want 4x4, you need to manually lock the hubs FIRST and THEN engage the CENTRE DIFF LOCK switch otherwise damage to the diff can occur. This is another warning given by the manufacturer of the kit.
I've had this car for a few years now and have done a fair few mods and servicing on it, and it is an absolute breeze to work on. everything easily accessible,nothing is over complicated(even an engine redo) and parts a fairly priced and available.
You've got a great rig, just use it and don't let it down and it will run forever, although maybe not as long as the 1HZ haha.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

brodi97
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by brodi97 » October 2nd, 2015, 10:49 pm

thank you very much for the information... im glad to hear this about the landcruiser's. im pretty sure the engine you have is the one up from mine.(3f-e). however from what i have read they are pretty much the same ( performance wise) except only a 4 ltr obviously... im pretty sure there is something different in the transmission/hubs on our cars as im fairly certain i have hub ( i can see them in the centre of all 4 tyres) however there are no manual locks and appears to be just automatic locking... but im not sure if when i lock the car from high range into low range it locks the hubs automatically OR just the centre diff... i pressume that the hubs would need to be locked for the centre diff to lock without cuasing damage anyway but am unsure as is just a thoery... i am really having trouble finding any information on how or what any of the features/workings work. and am not willing to pay money for a aftermarket guide book for the 80s series. thankyou very much for your information and it has really helped.. im glad to hear that these landcruiser are quite capable 4x4. just still am confused abit about how all my hubs work with the centre diff and stuff... and would always love some more information and oppinions/experiences with 80s series.... thankyou :)

4wd Hobbit
Been here a while

Unread post by 4wd Hobbit » October 2nd, 2015, 11:21 pm

You have an awd vehicle so no locking hubs. What you can see is just the hub flanges that allow the axles to drive the wheels.

As far as the centre diff goes - if you want it locked when in Hi Range, like when you are offroad, you hit the button and the centre diff locks so drive to the front and rear is locked with no center diff action. For some reason Toyota takes away the drivers option of activating the CDL when in low range and it activates in all circumstances. Better 4wds, like Landrover :frog: leave the function as a driver option with no auto activation. This means that on these vehicles can still have an open centre diff in low range if needed - eg backing a heavy trailer up a steep drive on hard surfaces.

Driving on hard surfaces with the CDL locked is a no no and will kill something eventually.

brodi97
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by brodi97 » October 2nd, 2015, 11:39 pm

ok thankyou for the information. i now understand how the centre diff works now. thankyou very much. any other information you or anyone has on the 80s series landcruisers would be greatly appreciated.. good or bad.. or even just tips.. thankyou all :)

GBC
Part of the furniture

Unread post by GBC » October 6th, 2015, 7:01 pm

The old 3f is a couple of rungs down from a 1fzfe performance and fuel usage wise. The other difference you have is smaller brakes which came with the 1993 upgrade. Other than that they are similar.
Dos and donts - if you are recovering your mate, always do it in a forwards gear and not a reverse gear. Loading up the wrong side of the front diff should be avoided whenever possible.
Keep the engine fairly dry - they don't love water crossings. They aren't terrible at it though either.
You don't need stupid big lifts and tyres to get an 80 into some cool places. They have great articulation and respond well to smart chosen lines.
Enjoy.

brodi97
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by brodi97 » October 7th, 2015, 7:45 am

thanks for the info mate :) will do . much appreciated. i currently have 31 inch all terrain tyres which seem to be great.... i was thinking of adding a snorkel, and maybe one day a 2 inch lift. what do you guys think? any other mod suggestions? :) ohh and if you guys want photos i can post them :)

XJalltheway
Here and there

Unread post by XJalltheway » September 19th, 2016, 7:49 am

brodi97

2" lift, 33s and a snorkel will get you just about anywhere if you know what lines to pick. A solid steel bullbar, driving lights, winch, longe range tank and a diff lock or two will see you able to get anywhere in Australia and drive all but the most hardcore tracks. The most important thing is maintainence, though. When you're out remote, reliability is everything. You can have all the best mods you like, but unless your truck is reliable, remote area travel is going to be a big no-no. And we all know the best tracks are the most remote ;)

Return to “Driving Tips and Techniques”