Is low range use not in 4wd safe/possible?

Got some advice to share or a question to ask? Heres the place to do it!
TROOPYGIRL
Getting to know the place

Is low range use not in 4wd safe/possible?

Unread post by TROOPYGIRL » September 9th, 2014, 7:37 pm

got a my14 troopy & always wondered if u can use low range without locking the front hubs in for tricky driveways & backing up monuevers on twisty difficult driveways etc . Five toyotas in i probably should know this but have only got a computer recently & been on site for a couple months. Peter awaan(love your stuff) pls help or any other bods.Very new 2 computers. Hope I'm doing it right. :boggle:

Aaron Schubert
Need to get out more

Re: low range use not in 4wd?

Unread post by Aaron Schubert » September 9th, 2014, 8:40 pm

Yep, its fine to do providing you have manual locking hubs on the front and you don't engage them

Aaron
Looking for somewhere to go 4WDing in WA? Check out WA 4WD Tracks

My 80 Series Landcruiser

bigpig
Avid Poster

Re: Is low range use not in 4wd safe/possible?

Unread post by bigpig » September 9th, 2014, 11:33 pm

I do it all the time backing into my tricky uphill driveway, saves the clutch.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » September 10th, 2014, 12:07 pm

Thanks for the kind words Troopygirl - it's all about trying to pass on to others some of the info/advice/help I got over the years. :thumb:

As for your question, just like those above have said, not only is it possible, but if your front Free Wheeling Hubs are unlocked, it's not only safe/possible, but it's also very handy at times!! ;)

When those FW Hubs are unlocked, the front drive-shaft & axles are not connected to the wheels, so you won't be causing any trans case or axle wind-up by using low range for the tricky/slow stuff on hi-traction surfaces.

It's even a good idea to make sure your hubs are unlocked and then select 4H & drive it normally on the road for a few km once a month or so; or if you like, leave it in 2H & just lock the hubs for a few km - either method will turn the front driveline & (some of) the internals of the trans case & slop the oil around, preventing rusting or seals from drying out/sticking to shafts etc and basically keeping your 4WD driveline internals all lubed up & working. Those Free Wheeling Hubs are a great invention! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

TROOPYGIRL

Unread post by TROOPYGIRL » September 10th, 2014, 7:07 pm

thanks all for this confirmation of what i thought.Mind u ,I've had a lot of experts tell me all sorts of things!! I always lock the hubs for a few kms every month & it just made sense that it would be ok. Just sold my vdj76r to a happy camper & been working on troopy for a month when i got caught down a very nasty northern sydney beaches driveway..BRAND NEW TRUCK syndrome hit me & this question came strait to mind.Got out ok but low range woulda helped.Msg for peter A. YOU deffinatly know your stuff with 4bys.I haven't said THATS CRAP ! to 1 thing I've read in many posts on this site. Amazing is your array of mechanical knowledge .Hope everyone appreciates it. I DEFFinatly owe u a beer if we meet.NOW all i need is a typing lesson or 2 & an in-house computer expert!!

Carolynn

Unread post by Carolynn » November 15th, 2014, 8:44 pm

if you have manul locking mechanism then it is fine to do it.. specailly during slanting roads. it saves thge clutch and economical as well..

TROOPYGIRL

Unread post by TROOPYGIRL » November 24th, 2014, 7:56 pm

done the same driveway mentioned now 50 odd times & its so easy in low range/ no hubs its not funny.Boss i ve been working for smoked his vans(why r u goin so slo I'm payen ya to hurry up mate) clutch right to replacementvill !!!! SUCKER.Now its can u use your truck 4 this & that. OH THAT will cost ya!Got an extra $350 out of him !!!Loven it.

nilla60

Unread post by nilla60 » November 25th, 2014, 5:33 pm

I recall you can also remove a guide from your transfer case shifter that normally prevents you from shifting the transfer case into 2L.

Return to “Driving Tips and Techniques”