New to all this. Is the intercooler waterproof?

Got some advice to share or a question to ask? Heres the place to do it!
Rob and Tess
I'm new, be nice!

New to all this. Is the intercooler waterproof?

Unread post by Rob and Tess » December 5th, 2013, 12:28 pm

Hi,

It's probably a very basic question but as I say we are new to all this. My hubby wants to know is the intercooler waterproof on our 2002 Patrol 3dsi? We don't have a snorkel fitted as yet and we are not planning any deep water crossings at all but if we did a water crossing where the water accidentally entered.....?????

Thanks Tess

Aaron Schubert
Need to get out more

Re: New to all this. Is the intercooler waterproof?

Unread post by Aaron Schubert » December 5th, 2013, 1:12 pm

An intercooler is just like a radiator; water won't do it any damage providing it is plumbed up correctly

Aaron
Looking for somewhere to go 4WDing in WA? Check out WA 4WD Tracks

My 80 Series Landcruiser

NZ LUX
Avid Poster

Unread post by NZ LUX » December 5th, 2013, 1:47 pm

And having positive air pressure (boost) will make any holes/bad joins blow bubbles in water. Just make sure all hose clamps and pipes are secure and in good condition.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » December 5th, 2013, 3:50 pm

The issue with not having a snorkel is not that the intercooler can go under the water, but that the air intake (which is inside the inner guard & behind the LH headlight) will be likely to suck water in if you drive thru water that is much more than axle depth, or if you blast thru shallow water and spray it everywhere! And once water gets in the air intake it can readily end up past the OE (paper) air filter and then on into the engine (via the insides of the turbo and the intercooler) and even if it's only a teaspoonful of water that makes it into a cylinder, your engine is probably going to be destroyed!! Water doesn't compress, and diesels are high compression motors, so anything more than water mist getting inside a cylinder means dead engine (& expensive repair!)

So if you are going to do any water crossings that are deeper than axle depth, or even if you are prone to blasting thru puddles at speed, fitting a snorkel is cheap insurance - even the most expensive snorkel probably won't cost more than $1K all up fitted (most good name brands are $600 or so) while an engine will probably cost about 10 times that to fix/replace after getting anything much more than a teaspoonful of water into a cylinder!! :eek:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Carolynn
Getting to know the place

Unread post by Carolynn » November 21st, 2014, 4:57 pm

works just like any other radiator and with right pressure it works just liek any other radiator. Just make sure of the safety of pipes and you good to go..

Return to “Driving Tips and Techniques”