what am i doing wrong? RG- beach driving

Got some advice to share or a question to ask? Heres the place to do it!
gunk
Avid Poster

Re: what am i doing wrong? RG- beach driving

Unread post by gunk » November 14th, 2013, 4:39 pm

If you lowered the pressures to 20 psi and didn't check them again, you'll probably find they went up to about 24-25 psi after a bit of driving.

HT's should be fine for sand but I'd lower them to about 15 or maybe even 12 psi then check them after 15 minutes of driving or if your digging in. If you don't have much in the tub then there won't be much weight over the wheels and you'll need lower pressures than if you were fully loaded.

You may be right about the clearance at the front, I saw a similar vehicle rip off it's front bumper earlier this year while trying to get up a dune.

BarKer
Been here a while

Unread post by BarKer » December 19th, 2013, 8:08 pm

I am not an expert.. However.. I always leave the TC on and have been bogged only once when I bottomed out.. and that is out of about 50 odd trips to Stockton.. so I am not too sure about the TC theory..

Secondly, I had HT tyres and read all how Mud and All Terrains were going to be worse on sand, I am not sure on Muddies but the AT's I got now (Bridgestone D697) work a treat on the sand and give me grip where the original HT's would spin and sink in.. I do acknowledge there are heaps of variables but the AT's work heaps better for me..

Lastly, going down to 12 PSI just to get up a dune is serious stuff...

Momentum is the key, maybe the problem is there.... Don't be like the old guy at Fraser's Ngakala Rocks who held everyone up for an hour because he was trying to get through in low first... Just keep experimenting until you find the sweet combo..

Aaron Schubert
Need to get out more

Unread post by Aaron Schubert » December 19th, 2013, 8:16 pm

20PSI on sand is not low enough. In most sand, 15 PSI is a good start. That's a huge difference in footprint size.

Aaron
Looking for somewhere to go 4WDing in WA? Check out WA 4WD Tracks

My 80 Series Landcruiser

BrAdAsS
Been here a while

Unread post by BrAdAsS » December 19th, 2013, 8:41 pm

The more I drive on the sand the more TC in a RG on sand is a no brainer for me. TC OFF.
I find with it off you can maintain/increase momentum when there is low traction as opposed to TC applying the brake and slowing momentum when you do hit a soft spot.
In combination with disabling ESC, you can use cruise control on the sand starting at 40kph without it cutting out because ESC activates.. which makes things a bit smoother I find.

I use 265/75/16 MT ATZ's.. 15psi to start in sand as a general rule, if i get bogged or sink, I go down to 12psi. Hasn't failed me yet.

DarKasH69
Been here a while

Unread post by DarKasH69 » February 10th, 2015, 6:29 pm

Bump this !!!

very informative cheers

ill be heading to Stockton dunes with in the week for a test of the 2015 Colorado,, looking forward to it.. :drool:
WHEN INJUSTICE BECOMES LAW,
RESISTANCE BECOMES DUTY....

MudTrucK Up !!!

Return to “Driving Tips and Techniques”