what am i doing wrong? RG- beach driving

Got some advice to share or a question to ask? Heres the place to do it!
wrangler323
Here and there

what am i doing wrong? RG- beach driving

Unread post by wrangler323 » May 19th, 2013, 5:44 pm

hi,
i know this has been covered a million and 1 times, but i cant find anything for an RG colorado.

to keep it simple, i have only just bought my first 4wd, 2013 RG colorado LTZ manual crew cab. thought i would try beach driving today. lowered the pressures to 20psi, high range 4wd and it took the track really well, get to the first dune going about 20km/h to go into the beach and it sank straight it. reversed out no problems. i tried a less steep part and same thing.

i have a few questions. 1, was my pressure to high? they are the stock bridgestone H/T's. i know not ideal for 4wding but until i can afford something better this is what im working with.

also, as i dont have a bull bar yet ( ARB hasnt released a sahara to suit) the bumper sits a little low, as do the bash plates and im pretty sure the lack of clearance is what got me stuck. like i said i was fairly sunk and reversed out like i was driving on the road.

if there is anything else you can think of that may have got me undone would help.

much appreciated
2013 LTZ Colorado

towner87
I'm new, be nice!

Re: what am i doing wrong? RG- beach driving

Unread post by towner87 » May 19th, 2013, 6:23 pm

Tyre pressures seem good and HT are the best for beach driving as they have more surface area to sit on top of the sand compared to and aggressive AT/MT. Try 2 or 3rd low next time but if the sand is soft enough no 4wd will be able to get through it. A lift may get yor chassis out of the sand also. Main thing is that your out there having a crack so good on ya mate!

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » May 19th, 2013, 7:03 pm

If you are bogging in readily still, then you either are getting too much torque delivered to the wheels, or your tyre pressures are too high - altho it could be both!

If you are using a light throttle with revs in the torque band, trying not to spin the wheels, and it's still digging holes, I'd suggest you drop another 2-6 psi out, and if that still doesn't see you driving on top of the sand, go down again! While 14-15psi is probably as low as you'd want to go in the normal course of events for sand, there are a few spots where you might need to go lower - for instance, Big Red on a hot afternoon when the sand is really dry, the recommended pressure is 8 psi for a safe climb that doesn't entail revving the guts out of the motor, and you should be able to walk it up and over! (but don't forget to re-inflate your tyres to mid 20's for the drive back into Birdsville!)

There can be sand out there that is too soft to drive, but usually if you go lower you will be able to make the footprint long enough to carry the load (unless the vehicle is pretty heavy and you are running small dia or skinny tyres) AT or MT tyres will work just as well as HT's or baldies IF you go low enough and you use a gentle right foot. I doubt that the OE tyres on your vehicle are too small or skinny, so you should be able to readily get them low enough to drive on anything you can walk on, but do remember that the lower you go the gentler you need to be with your control inputs - all steering, braking, and accel input needs to be gentle so you that don't break the bead and deflate the tyre completely or spin the tyres and dig them in. Then again, if you are stuck on a soft beach below the high water mark with an incoming tide, if you need to drop the tyres to Zero psi and gently/carefully drive up the beach the shortest way to get above the high tide line, you shouldn't destroy your tyres in 10 metres or so; and even if you do, isn't it better to have saved the vehicle anyway??

So being gentle with the steering, braking, and accelerating; trying to avoid spinning your wheels at all, and lowering your tyre pressures some more should do it for you. ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

wrangler323
Here and there

Unread post by wrangler323 » May 19th, 2013, 8:23 pm

Thanks guys, some very helpful hints I will try next time. I might also try another stretch of beach to get used to it. This hill isn't un drivable though, as soon as I pulled out off the sand, a newish hilux belted up the hill fairly quickly no worries, made me look pretty *****.

Thanks again. Ill let u know how I go next time
2013 LTZ Colorado

Aussie_Dan
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Aussie_Dan » May 19th, 2013, 8:52 pm

Make sure you manually switch off the Stability Control as soon as you hit the sand.
Failing to do so in any modern 4WD will have you bogged in no time flat ;)
Cheers, Dan.

LukeGX
Here and there

Unread post by LukeGX » May 20th, 2013, 7:45 am

As others have said drop to 16psi would help, and turn off the traction control.

Try getting your revs up around 3000rpm before you hit the soft stuff and maintain that through the soft stuff so your not actually increasing wheel speed in the soft patch. If you feel 3000rpm is too fast for that part of track use gear selection (preferably before the soft patch) to control your speed instead of throttle input (move down a gear and keep it at 3000rpm to go slower or move up a gear and keep it at 3000rpm to go faster.

You may get away with more or less than 3000rpm but the key is to get your engine up to speed and maintain that through the soft area, don't wait until your in the soft patch to give it the berries. You should be coasting along at 3000rpm with no wheel spin when you hit the soft stuff.

Use low range as the gear ratios are closer together and the lower ratios will put less strain on the clutch

poompy
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by poompy » May 20th, 2013, 7:50 am

had the same problem when i took out rg lt out...the tyres were at 20psi and couldnt get up the dune.
dropped em to 16psi and not issues what so ever
the was near redhead beach (newcastle). there is a sign there that says tyres need to be at 15psi, should have listened to it.

wrangler323
Here and there

Unread post by wrangler323 » May 20th, 2013, 6:53 pm

Thank u fellas, definitely giving all these things a shot next chance i get, probably wednesday or thursday. Poompy, this was at redhead too, well jewels more like it, at the first steep dune u come to straight off the gravel
2013 LTZ Colorado

poompy
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by poompy » May 21st, 2013, 6:53 am

wrangler323 wrote:Thank u fellas, definitely giving all these things a shot next chance i get, probably wednesday or thursday. Poompy, this was at redhead too, well jewels more like it, at the first steep dune u come to straight off the gravel

:lol: :lol: hahaha that's exactly where i had the trouble....had the missus in the car saying "go faster", "keep going", "oh ***** we bought a dud!!"
from what i have heard the sand is really soft there due to the mining that went on.
but once we lowered the tyres down to 16psi it made it up easy and i had no dramas for the rest of the time on the dunes.

BrAdAsS
Been here a while

Unread post by BrAdAsS » May 21st, 2013, 8:40 am

TC disables in 4L automatically.
TC remains on in 4H unless turned off manually.

evaredy
Been here a while

Unread post by evaredy » May 21st, 2013, 9:47 am

And don't do what I did with my Dmax, I just pushed the ESC button, thinking I had turned it off when in fact I hadn't. You have to hold it in for a couple of seconds.

wrangler323
Here and there

Unread post by wrangler323 » May 26th, 2013, 7:57 pm

Went out to redhead again on Saturday, used all these tips and had an awesome time. Had to be coached up one massive hill but. Apart from that it went like a dream
2013 LTZ Colorado

LukeGX
Here and there

Unread post by LukeGX » May 28th, 2013, 10:40 pm

Excellent, glad you sorted it out. I was born and bred on sand driving and love it but steep rocky tracks and mud scare me.

One other tip you may have worked out by now is back off as soon as you lose forward momentum. It's okay if you're spinning the wheels and slowly crawling forward but as soon as you lose all forward momentum the spinning wheels will just dig you in.

ripperwa
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by ripperwa » July 2nd, 2013, 10:28 pm

I go for around 14psi all round, low range, traction on or off on the beach, turn it off if trying to take off on the beach, start off in second, and go through the gears, I got standard tyres and lift, (highway terribles) I normally change gear around 2500rpm, never had to bury the pedal yet, and been in some soft *****
98 gu 2.8 . 2 inch lift, 33 coopers st, arb bullbar, arb touring rack, lightforce spots, 3 inch manderal stainless exhaust, snorkel

new 4wd, rg collie :P

BrAdAsS
Been here a while

Unread post by BrAdAsS » November 2nd, 2013, 3:55 pm

I just found how to get rid of the poor performance on the beach...

Turn ESC off by holding the TC button for 7 seconds. This will disengage ESC from reducing power and will prevent the brakes being applied when you go over the rough stuff, turn sharply or jump in out of ruts or go on funny angles. Will also let the rear go sideways.
Turn traction control off. In 4 high range it only applies brakes on the rear anyway.

Return to “Driving Tips and Techniques”