What'd you learn the hard way?

Got some advice to share or a question to ask? Heres the place to do it!
Robdeo
Avid Poster

Re: What'd you learn the hard way?

Unread post by Robdeo » October 14th, 2013, 12:40 pm

When you get something done to your car, check the work.

Otherwise they little things like, say, doing up the bolts that attach your indicators to the vehicle can get missed and they will fall out.

SaltHorse
Been here a while

Unread post by SaltHorse » October 14th, 2013, 7:17 pm

I had a battery go in the Jackaroo. I replaced it with a nice heavy duty 4WD battery for $220. I got home and decided to check out the levels in the other battery. I had to use quite a bit of force to open the flap covering the cells only to hear the crack and realise the battery is 'maintenance free'. So it was down to the shop and another $220. Lesson learnt, felt like such an idiot.

Cheers,

Salty.
1990 Suzuki Vitara 1.6
2000 Holden Jackaroo 3.0 TD viewtopic.php?f=22&t=135354
2002 Nissan Patrol ZD30 viewtopic.php?f=187&t=145261

buffer
Avid Poster

Unread post by buffer » October 17th, 2013, 11:57 pm

Never leave your 4 ltr paint tin in the middle of the room you are painting with the lid off, i did just that when painting the ceiling and stepped back, paint all over the polished timber floors. Not happy.
100 series 4.2TD, 2" lift, ARB twin lockers, Safari snorkel, ARB winch bar with brushbars and sidesteps, 12000lb winch, supernova driving lights and custom made aluminium rack with awning, ARB dual rear bar, dual batteries, Airbag assists rear.

Adon92
Been here a while

Unread post by Adon92 » January 2nd, 2014, 11:01 pm

don't try go sideways up a dune... in a hilux.... 2 wheels off the ground and LUCKILY it dropped back onto 4. We nearly both had heart attacks... rolled a tyre off the rim though!
Hilux LN106

No Fn Idea
Need to get out more

Unread post by No Fn Idea » January 14th, 2014, 9:45 am

Never buy a Nissan Patrol................ it's taken $17000 but I think I have learnt my lesson
2013 Auto LS Challenger with stuff
2011 GIC Offroad CT also with some stuff

MasterInnovator
Avid Poster

Unread post by MasterInnovator » February 10th, 2014, 9:56 pm

One thing I learnt the hard way (not related to 4x4) is when snipping mig wire, don't snip it on an angle so it has a point then as luck would have, accidentally hit the trigger....straight through the thick welding glove and kept going through the side of my hand.....only a couple days after my supervisor did the same thing too

Robdeo
Avid Poster

Unread post by Robdeo » February 11th, 2014, 12:34 pm

Peg your awning down.

Shaker4x4
Need to get out more

Unread post by Shaker4x4 » February 11th, 2014, 5:22 pm

That having a new or stock vehicle means it is a huge money pit modifying it and adding accessories so it becomes what you need it to be. Expect up to and around $20-$25k on a tourer with everything on top of the vehicle value. Lesson: buy one that has been already done up, has depreciated in both mods and vehicle and is someone else's loss. Buying a new 4WD when you want it to be something else than stock standard is not a light hearted consideration unless you have wealth to throw at it. It wasn't a mistake I made, it was just something I had a chance with and accepted the challenge, but if the shoe was on the other foot with a budget in mind and cash to go somewhere left over, I would have purchased second hand for sure. I still have some new camping gear to buy yet. The well doesn't go that deep and takes time to fill. Life is too short. Need to get out more. Look forward to end results.

MasterInnovator
Avid Poster

Unread post by MasterInnovator » February 11th, 2014, 5:55 pm

Shaker4x4
Bit off topic but while I agree with you about it being a money pit... adding mods to a stock vehicle is half the fun....evening if it does give you shallow pockets....but If your patient, and have a keen eye, you can mod a stock vehicle with out digging into ones pockets...That what I did, and I did it for bloody cheap....I don't think Id ever buy a second hand, fully modded 4by...I personally take pride in saying I did that...especially when all mods were put on/into the vehicle myself, as I have done currently....

Dobby
Been here a while

Unread post by Dobby » June 16th, 2014, 12:46 pm

Always use Loctite on critical components such as timing belt tensioner bolts :redface: 300 klms on a brand new motor and bolt come out chewing timing belt away until it snapped...

Also as mentions do work weeks before a trip not the same week

dhc4ever
Part of the furniture

Unread post by dhc4ever » June 29th, 2014, 9:07 am

Marriage isnt for life, even if you think it will be at the time........
Articulation in a solid suspension vehicle beats lockers in an ifs ute.
The needle bearing supporting the cv shaft through the steering knuckle of a tf rodeo is a bad design, it uses the shaft as the inner race and the seal only keeps dirt in not out.

dhc4ever
Part of the furniture

Unread post by dhc4ever » December 27th, 2014, 7:54 am

Heavy right foot, steep hill, lots of wheel spin=front diff carnage......

rabbithunter
Here and there

Unread post by rabbithunter » March 27th, 2015, 9:51 am

I learned the hard way by being caught driving with a puppy on my lap, $415 fine and 3 demerit points
Josh
Varmint Hunting
Rabbit Division

kiran92
Been here a while

Unread post by kiran92 » April 21st, 2015, 1:28 pm

*will be polishing the lanolin off the underbody this weekend, thanks for the tip*

If at first you don't succeed, with a winch, and first, then second, then third, low range, rear locker and 5000rpm...
STOP!!
in the same event: don't winch all the way along your cable, stop before it spools up one side and jams, when smoke starts coming out (of anywhere), STOP
and finally: when flapping because your winch has jammed and you only have 15m of functional cable, remember to check your recovery bag for the 30m extension strap....
(I did actually make it up !)
I work for my weekends... and damn it, I WILL enjoy them

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » April 21st, 2015, 2:18 pm

No Fn Idea wrote:Never buy a Nissan Patrol................ it's taken $17000 but I think I have learnt my lesson
I think that's pretty much reserved for you & a few others, NFN.... :( Not 'too many' had the same issues! :urgh:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Return to “Driving Tips and Techniques”