What'd you learn the hard way?

Got some advice to share or a question to ask? Heres the place to do it!
cmar
Avid Poster

Re: What'd you learn the hard way?

Unread post by cmar » June 30th, 2013, 10:07 am

A Cape York trip in a petrol fourby in the wet, taught me to ALWAYS, ALWAYS stop and put the tarp across the front, for creek crossings, even if my lazy ways got me across the last 3 OK. Also the value of carrying a hand winch and snatch strap.

A later desert crossing in the same car taught me that stones trapped between the tank and rock guard, CAN wear little holes that will eventually leak fuel!

That when travelling the western deserts in a Range Rover check all nuts and bolts for tightness daily. Also that No 8 fencing wire can be successfully used to tie on underbody components in place of missing bolts.

An incident with a rock and several alternators on a Nissan diesel fourby tought me that all factory Nissan spares are wrought from solid gold bars by master goldsmiths.
Strangely though, virtually idential parts purchased aftermarket are seemingly made from steel and aluminum only. Nissan spares purchased second hand seem to downgrade to silver or bronze in the wrecking yard.
Haven't owned a 2WD since 1982.

Rhys90
Getting to know the place

Unread post by Rhys90 » July 15th, 2013, 9:15 am

When you find yourself sliding down a washout on the beach, turn your wheels and drive down it. That was an expensive lesson, good buy straight panels!

When your mate says "dont drive through that section", listen to him! Ended up flooding my car, and that was the end of my carpet.

If at first you don't succeed, and the fifth attempt didn't get you up either despite hitting it faster and faster each time, just give up. Caving in the side of the car and still not getting there hardly seems worth it.

This was all in the same car. 3 4WDs later, and I can happily say I don't flood, smash or roll anymore! Often, anyway. Haha

nao
Avid Poster

Unread post by nao » July 15th, 2013, 10:41 am

check out the tracks before you hit them... in this case i was tearing around on a dirt bike, flew around a very fast corner only to find track finished with a very steep 3 metre drop in to a creek. luckily it was muddy and no rocks..drowned the bike and my jocks never recovered..

SimHilux

Unread post by SimHilux » August 1st, 2013, 12:31 pm

Driving in mud, over a few days, is the best fun you can have.

pity it was the most EXPENSIVE over the next few days, weeks and months.

Avoid mud

Not_An_Abba_Fan
Been here a while

Unread post by Not_An_Abba_Fan » August 1st, 2013, 3:58 pm

Don't use washers on the inside of the chassis when bolting on a recovery hook. Use a piece of plate with holes drilled through it. Washers pull through the chassis and send the hook flying. Luckily I was pulling a log off the track and not another car. The hook got buried about 100mm into the track. I have 5mm plate both sides of the chassis now.
Southwest Performance Exhaust

gunk
Avid Poster

Unread post by gunk » August 22nd, 2013, 1:04 pm

I learnt that it's not a good idea to drive faster than the car directly in front of you.

Robdeo
Avid Poster

Unread post by Robdeo » August 22nd, 2013, 1:33 pm

Motorcycles have enough traction to turn, or to brake, but not both at once.

Wipe the excess Lanolin off before hitting the beach, otherwise your underbody turns into a sand magnet. (Thankfully I only missed one small section, but scrubbing that clean when I got home that was enough)

RogerAnything
Here and there

Unread post by RogerAnything » August 31st, 2013, 4:46 pm

Stay on the tracks. Years ago when I was a young fella we were out at Cobar in the rain. We came down to a low area and the track was under water. I thought I'll just drive around it and went straight down to the chassis. No hope of getting out and I had to walk 11 kilometres back to the farm house to get the farmer to pull us out. He wasn't too impressed when he learnt I'd driven off the track. But he pulled us out and I repayed the favour a few years later when his bike threw the chain about 15km from the farmhouse. He was just starting the long walk back when I just happened to drive by.
I never had no edukation, not never.

Earp
Been here a while

Unread post by Earp » August 31st, 2013, 6:14 pm

Just because you crossed a creek a few hours before take it easy when crossing it to get back......

b00stjunk1e
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by b00stjunk1e » September 3rd, 2013, 6:30 pm

Puddles are often deeper than they appear. I got lucky, as I hurtled into what appeared to be a nice little puddle on the side of the road, as soon as I hit it the bottom of the car sank about a metre and there was a big bamg as my bash plate of my prado hit the bottom, whilst water started coming over the bonnet and what seemed like eternity that I was in this puddle Momentum carried me through!

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » September 3rd, 2013, 11:09 pm

Just because they sell brand new cars doesn't make it a good place to get your car serviced... Matter of fact ended up being the worst place I ever got my car serviced.
Cheers
Chris.

Off road when I'm good...in the shed when I'm naughty.

South West All Terrain ... www.swat4x4.com

E1A
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by E1A » September 11th, 2013, 9:25 pm

What'd I learnt the hard way
All ways walk the creek/river crossing the full length before you commit.Driving the inlaws Rodeo with them in the car into Palm crk.Cape york.Water up to wind screen, no snorkel, felt like 100 meters and on the exit only to start slipping into earth wall.
cheers E1A

nethergate
Been here a while

Unread post by nethergate » September 12th, 2013, 1:37 pm

Aussie_Dan wrote:Don't let the wife drive when off-road.....
Dan.
How did that happen? It looks pretty flat

Robdeo
Avid Poster

Unread post by Robdeo » September 13th, 2013, 11:29 am

Hills in photo's never look like they are in reality, but judging by the wheels, turning sideways up a slope.

juzzbott
Been here a while

Unread post by juzzbott » September 13th, 2013, 12:57 pm

When changing rear leaf suspension, and the workshop manual says to take the weight of the diff with a jack, use ropes/straps to keep the diff from completely falling off the jack.

Also, that Diff/Axles are extremely friggin' heavy.

Return to “Driving Tips and Techniques”