What'd you learn the hard way?

Got some advice to share or a question to ask? Heres the place to do it!
Josh Leonard
Here and there

What'd you learn the hard way?

Unread post by Josh Leonard » April 26th, 2013, 10:08 am

Learning the hard way is often the only way we learn. I remember being 9 or 10 and riding my brand new push bike around in the pouring rain forgetting that rubber "pad" type brakes and water mean absoluetly 0 stopping power as you're hurtling down your driveway at what feels like 10 times the speed of light straight towards your neighbours fence. That was the first lesson I learnt the hard way. When it came to 4WDs, well, I've learnt a lot. What about you guys? What has having a 4WD taught you?
Lifted, modded MK Triton.
Build, Break, Fix, Repeat.

Dree Mon
Avid Poster

Re: What'd you learn the hard way?

Unread post by Dree Mon » April 26th, 2013, 1:22 pm

Learned the hard way not to use your clutch when doing a water crossing, the pressure on all the bits in the housing with water in it breaks expensive stuff, :o and let your tyres down before you need to.

budgie913
Been here a while

Unread post by budgie913 » May 3rd, 2013, 8:46 pm

It has nothing to do with 4wding but don't stand up to go to the Bar during a Rodney Rude Show. I became the topic of his show for some time.

Gee he has a great way of cutting you down, my mates at the table got a laugh that's for sure.

Come to think about it, I never got that drink I stood up for.
- 120 Series GXL Prado TD;
- Ultimate Camper (XTRK).

Prado 150
Here and there

Unread post by Prado 150 » May 3rd, 2013, 9:25 pm

X that 2 with Rodney rude but my one is not to go 4byin by yourself got bogged lucky for mobile phones rang a friend and he got me out never again

Cheers prado 150
Ian

Earp
Been here a while

Unread post by Earp » May 6th, 2013, 8:29 pm

Not to slip stream a semi on a racing push bike.

maxim0200
Getting to know the place

Unread post by maxim0200 » May 17th, 2013, 6:02 am

Greath thread idea!
How about not leaving the door ajar on a brand new land cruser? ;)

Recently for me it would have to be dont rush when working in roofs, i found this out when i was rushing and my knee slipped of the joist and went cear through the jiprock. My boss wasnt happy one bit.
In the world of 4x4 im still yet to get out properly so im shure il find out.

80Butts
Avid Poster

Unread post by 80Butts » May 17th, 2013, 3:59 pm

I learnt to check the depth of a water crossing and not to rely on first impressions!
I rounded a corner on a sandy track. go straight ahead or quickly try and divert.
Straight ahead it was. She'll be right. only a little narrow puddle. Looked like you could walk through it without getting much above ankle height wet.
WRONG
Down the Navara went. filled him up with water, fuzzed the stupidly placed ECU, skull drag back to camp. trucked the vehicle home, insurance company wrote it off.
I couldnt believe I had done it. been offroad many many times and considered myself to be experienced but I had a split second to make a D and it was the wrong one. That little excercise knocked the wind outta my sails for a bit.

Pagotto92
Here and there

Unread post by Pagotto92 » May 25th, 2013, 5:34 pm

I learnt that ifs trucks suck for any hard offroad driving. That cost me many a dollar.

Cheers Sam
92' 80 Series Cruiser, 4" Lift, 33s, All the Barwork More to Come!!!

MelsLux
Here and there

Unread post by MelsLux » May 25th, 2013, 7:13 pm

My very first lesson learnt in 4wding was to never have one tyre go up the high side and one through the puddle as you can find yourself on a very worrying angle :o . The other thing I learnt was when putting a lift on your Jeep XJ Cherokee always put a power steering bracket in place. Out in the middle of nowhere and the power steering box fell out.
If it's done in a 4b it's gotta be good.

Aussie_Dan
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Aussie_Dan » May 26th, 2013, 9:21 am

Don't let the wife drive when off-road.....
Dan.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SaltHorse
Been here a while

Unread post by SaltHorse » May 26th, 2013, 9:59 am

I learnt not to 4WD in Menai. Unfortunatly I took a few too many lessons to learn this. 100% of the time we went there, we broke something. Usually gunked up alternators, but once we did a head owing to the radiator resembling a clay pit.

It is much more sustainable not to go there.

Cheers,

Salty.
1990 Suzuki Vitara 1.6
2000 Holden Jackaroo 3.0 TD viewtopic.php?f=22&t=135354
2002 Nissan Patrol ZD30 viewtopic.php?f=187&t=145261

woods
Been here a while

Unread post by woods » May 26th, 2013, 10:39 pm

I learnt to always make sure you lock the hubs in before going down a very steep slippery hill ,very scary to be sliding down a steep hill with absolutely no control

Cruising Brit
Been here a while

Unread post by Cruising Brit » May 27th, 2013, 12:32 am

When going weed spraying with 200l of spray in a trailer going up a steep hill with bald highway tyres just after it's poured with rain and made it extremely muddy. And to NEVER take the trailer off when on that hill!!!! Or it'll be going for a swim with the fishes :redface:
4WDing, it's not a Hobby, it's a Passion!!!

FZJ105; 2 inch lift, ST/maxx's, HID/led lights, draws, roof rack, sat nav/entertainment system, 2.5 inch Beaudesert exhaust with pacemaker extractors, green P plates, 3 year old behind the wheel :p

viewtopic.php?f=187&t=146189

SamT78
Been here a while

Unread post by SamT78 » June 4th, 2013, 1:42 am

1- When adding new parts/accessories to your 4WD, always do it at least a month before leaving on your big trip. That way if something goes wrong, you can rectify the issue before leaving. I had some brand new injectors fitted back in 06/07, and when I left, I noticed that they were leaking quite a bit, and that my little NA Pajero shorty was consuming diesel like an F250. Not much I could do about it on the Nullarbor Plain.

2- If it's not broken, don't fix it! I converted my early model HJ60 Landcruiser from 4 speed manual to 5 speed. My 4 speed box was fine, but I wanted 5 gears. In this particular case, I had lots of trouble with my 5 speed gearboxes that I put in (all resolved now), but for not that much gains.

gunk
Avid Poster

Unread post by gunk » June 24th, 2013, 12:19 pm

Driving through mud kills your drive line faster than anything else short of an impact.

Driving on sand dunes is lots of fun but no matter how thorough you are at cleaning it, you'll still be finding pockets of sand 6 months later.

One saltwater wave can kill an alternator instantly.

Replacing the driveshafts on a TF rodeo is a long and expensive PITA and it is definitely worth replacing the bushes that hold up the front diff housing at the same time.

Return to “Driving Tips and Techniques”