Best place to store fuel on your vehicle.

Got some advice to share or a question to ask? Heres the place to do it!
GBC
Part of the furniture

Re: Best place to store fuel on your vehicle.

Unread post by GBC » September 18th, 2013, 10:24 am

You didn't hear it from me, but with a strategically cut piece of formply and some carpet you can successfully wind two military standard steel jerrys up on top of a cruiser ute/hilux spare tyre under the crossmember and happily cross the Simmo....... :worry:
I had two blokes with skinny spares do it last trip.
By the end of the trip I was storing that secret squirrel spot in the memory bank for next time I think I can't fit 40 litres extra....

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » September 18th, 2013, 12:33 pm

^^ You never heard it from me, but the cable/chain that holds the spare tyre up there does get old and wear out, and if you put too much weight/stress on it & then go 4Wheeling, it can mean that at some stage down track you suddenly end up dropping at least the spare tyre onto the roadway behind you!! And you may not necessarily know when that occurs, but the fella following behind in the dust might get a sudden shock! It has happened and it has caused accidents in the past. If it happens to anyone using that 'secret squirrel spot' to carry fuel, it could be bad enough if you were relying on that fuel to get you thru to the next fuel stop; but it might be far worse if you don't find out that you were responsible for the 'accident' that killed someone until later on in your trip when the constabulary finally catch up with you!! :eek:

If you are going to store fuel in places like that, you need to make absolutely sure that the fuel containers are appropriate to the task, ie vented/sealed etc and that they are secured in a way that wont let them fall onto the road way easily if any one thing breaks! That's why fuel tanks have a number bolts holding them onto the chassis and some even have a couple of securing straps too! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Hilux_Ryan
Avid Poster

Unread post by Hilux_Ryan » September 27th, 2013, 3:42 pm

Peter Aawen wrote:^^ You never heard it from me, but the cable/chain that holds the spare tyre up there does get old and wear out, and if you put too much weight/stress on it & then go 4Wheeling, it can mean that at some stage down track you suddenly end up dropping at least the spare tyre onto the roadway behind you!!
While we are playing I have never...

You never heard it from me, but if your Landcruiser or hilux has a wire rope/cable for the spare wheel underneath, take it to the Toyota dealer and have the spare wheel winch recall carried out. It involves removing cable type winch and fitting chain type winch as even when new word was the cables had a habit of fraying and doing exactly as outlined above, with or without jerry cans, with or without 4WDing.
My cruiser thread viewtopic.php?f=22&t=145966

cruiserluke
Here and there

Unread post by cruiserluke » September 1st, 2014, 6:20 pm

well you could always just bolt them to the body like some of the old 110 army defenders had three mounted on each side of the body with a twin holder on the back as well making for an impressive 160l of jerry can space
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » September 1st, 2014, 7:18 pm

You might want to check with the legality of carrying fuel like that on your vehicle.... The Defence Forces don't exactly have the same issues as 'civilians' do when it comes to where it's legal for them to carry stuff! :(
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Carolynn
Getting to know the place

Unread post by Carolynn » November 19th, 2014, 10:11 pm

first thing that depends is the type of fuel, if it is petrol, it belongs to a very combustible category. it has to be stored in very well ventilated areas and in the case of diesel in the storing vessel.

Return to “Driving Tips and Techniques”