Best place to store fuel on your vehicle.

Got some advice to share or a question to ask? Heres the place to do it!
deano rad
Getting to know the place

Best place to store fuel on your vehicle.

Unread post by deano rad » January 10th, 2013, 7:37 pm

Gday all,

We're planning a trip around Australia later this year and are trying to work out the best place to store the jerry cans containing spare diesel.

Our two options at this point are in the tray (covered by a canopy) or on the the roof rack.

We've heard that storing jerry cans on the roof is not recommended for safety purposes, though we would like to hear people recommendations and suggestions.

Cheers :)

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Best place to store fuel on your vehicle.

Unread post by Peter Aawen » January 10th, 2013, 8:44 pm

On the roof rack will raise the CoG and create handling issues, plus someone's gotta lug them up there and lower them down without dropping them!! If you've got a tray or enclosed area that is well ventilated and separate from the cabin, stick em in there!! Secure them from rattling around and ideally hold them down so they won't go flying in the event of a roll-over, a couple of aftermarket tie-down points and a ratchet strap will usually do that. If you can get hessian bags, stick each jerry in a hessian bag so that it will protect it from rubbing and if there is a leak it will tend to soak up any spillage.

But if you want to know where the BEST place to store fuel on your vehicle is, this is one of the few instances when there is a 'best' that fits all circumstances - the 'BEST' place to store fuel is in your fuel tank! Which is why long range tanks are such a good idea! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

deano rad

Unread post by deano rad » January 11th, 2013, 1:35 pm

Gday Peter,

Thanks for that. I think we're definitely looking at the tray now. Most likely have a couple of jerry cans in an open top box of sorts, simply to hold them together. The hessian bag idea is great - thanks!

We've got 2 90L tanks on board, but simply wanted to have the extra jerry cans, just in case I suppose.

Thanks again for your help.

:)

BennyT50
Avid Poster

Unread post by BennyT50 » January 11th, 2013, 2:16 pm

With 180 L on board, I think you will always be able to find a servo. I wouldn't worry about the jerries, but that is your decision.

BennyT50
BennyT50 - BT-50 SDX Dual Cab
Canopy, Bullbar, Tub Liner, ERPS, Snorkel, UHF, Dual battery, Side steps, Towbar, In-car camera.

oversite
Need to get out more

Unread post by oversite » January 11th, 2013, 2:23 pm

I would allways carry at least 20L of fuel in cans when doing big/long trips. its just extra insurence, I keep mine in the tray.

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » January 11th, 2013, 2:27 pm

Yup, just in the worst luck case of a hole in both your tanks. I agree
Cheers
Chris.

Off road when I'm good...in the shed when I'm naughty.

South West All Terrain ... www.swat4x4.com

kerry460
Need to get out more

Unread post by kerry460 » January 20th, 2013, 5:18 pm

G,,day i use scepter (canadian) military gerry cans.
they are the same size as normal gerrys.
they are HDPE 2.5 mm thick, with a big screw on lid.
not comparable to normal poly cans.
they do not leak.
close to indestructible.
canada and usa will only use them to transport fuel on planes.
they are avalaible here in aus.
hope the info helps you.
kerry
Mercedes Benz G WAGEN 300GD

oversite
Need to get out more

Unread post by oversite » January 24th, 2013, 11:08 pm

^^^^ what

EDIT: The post after Kerry's about storing fuel in glass jars under the driver's seat has been removed by the Mods!

kerry460
Need to get out more

Unread post by kerry460 » January 25th, 2013, 8:55 pm

i think i have to agree with, what!!!!
storing fuel in jars??????
kerry
Mercedes Benz G WAGEN 300GD

2turbo2clutch
Here and there

Unread post by 2turbo2clutch » March 10th, 2013, 2:00 pm

Definitely agree with the Scepter Jerry's. Have had mine now for around 3 yrs and I can vouch for their strength. Now I have worked out a routine they get stored pretty well in the back of the ute but when I first got them they definitely copped a bit of a flogging.

Must also question the jar theory? Whilst I never plan on it... and heaven hope it never happens to any of us but If I were to roll the colorado the last thing I would want is smashed glass and diesel floating around the cab above my head. Recipe for disaster IMHO.

Cheers, Westy
- Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time -

oversite
Need to get out more

Unread post by oversite » March 10th, 2013, 11:31 pm

I think that may have been a joke because if it wasnt I have a new contender for the darwin awards!

deano rad

Unread post by deano rad » March 28th, 2013, 9:08 am

Ill have to look into them scepter jerrys sound like a good and about the jar idea funny enough i have heard of people doing similar things with petrol to bribe black fellas up north to leave him alone maybe thats where that idea came from

Hilux_Ryan
Avid Poster

Unread post by Hilux_Ryan » August 17th, 2013, 9:07 pm

Didnt know Sceptre were military spec? I've had one since forever, well at least ten years or so, and never had a problem, never seen one with a leak, apart from when people forget to tighten the vent cap.
My cruiser thread viewtopic.php?f=22&t=145966

whizzo
Need to get out more

Unread post by whizzo » September 9th, 2013, 9:04 am

The first and most important thing to understand is that you have diesel and not petrol.....that is a game changer.
Petrol is in the highly flamable catagory and that very much restricts where you can legally and safely carry it, diesel is only "combustable" it is much safer to carry and the law permits it to be carried in places that petrol is not.

If you are carrying petrol, it must be carried either in the open air or in very well ventilated areas, it also can not be carried on the rear or sides of a vehicle unless protected against impact.

Diesel can be carried inside a canopy, on the rear bar or on the side of a trailer where petrol can not.

As others have mentioned, transporting fuel on the roof raises the centre of gravity......but remember the amount of load carried on the roof is very much limited any way.....most vehicles under 150KG many 100KG or less.

When you account for the weight of the rack and a single 20 litre jerry can weigh as much as 25KG..ya on roof load can blow out very easily.

just some thaughts.

cheers

Chuck Steak
Been here a while

Unread post by Chuck Steak » September 17th, 2013, 10:39 pm

ONe day an aircraft designer is going to design a car that will store fuel in its panels

Return to “Driving Tips and Techniques”