Truth about water crossings.

Got some advice to share or a question to ask? Heres the place to do it!
judgelj
Been here a while

Re: Truth about water crossings.

Unread post by judgelj » June 6th, 2012, 10:18 pm

Definitely makes sense. Though was 80W-90 ok for an open center with a locker? All i was worried about was that the dirty coating of oil left inside would contaminate the new oil even though there was barely any left. But you are right in saying that it will absorb most of it, as well as the condensation being a factor which i did not think of. I will flush it out as soon as possible for good measure. I'm just surprised that i couldnt find a matching pump, it is ridiculous.

There was a very small amount of metal filings on the drain plug, is this normal wear and tear? And by small amount i mean enough to require a small screwdriver to pick it out.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » June 6th, 2012, 10:36 pm

As long as the filings were just that, filings and not flakes or lumps of metal. Fine filings tend to build up over time & thousands of kms, most diffs have all the fine filings caught on the magnetic plug (if they've got one - generally looks like black sludge on the inside of the plug) but if there's been water in there as well they may end up stuck to the bottom of the diff somewhere in a lump of rust or goop instead. Still, if you can't identify them as being flakes or lumps of shiny metal, you probly don't have major problems in that department.
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

gurunik
Been here a while

Unread post by gurunik » June 7th, 2012, 6:22 pm

Oh the joy of water!!!
I've just done the rear bearings on the HJZ75 Landbeast, and after a weekend of river crossings, the growl was there.
When pulling down, the grease was like chocolate moose, and all seals shot.
New seals & bearings, all good. Cone washers can be a bastard if been in for a while. Brass drift or new studs. Thats the choice.
As for flushing a diff......other than taking it out, I've always just chucked the cheapest oil I can find (i'e black & gold engine oil) into it, then go for a slow cruise for 5-10 ks, minimum load, but lots of corners to slosh it about, then dump on return. Inspect for glitter. Then after a good drain, even jacking the axle up to drain more, refill with the good stuff...
But it is all about seals.....

judgelj
Been here a while

Unread post by judgelj » June 7th, 2012, 6:34 pm

Yeah i had some nice mousse build up tool. Luckily my cone washers are in the front, unluckily i had to remove them when i did my CV. I honestly cannot remember how i managed to get them out all i remember was that it took HOURS. I just noticed the other CV shot yesterday, i promptly secured it back over the joint with a cable tie and do not want to think about it again, i am scared.

As for the water, i wasn't sure if could actually use engine oil, otherwise i would have used the litres of it i have at home. Doesn't matter now though i think it should be good, i jacked up each side individually and allowed it to run out, finishing it off with the air hose. You'd be surprised what came out with air that didnt with 4 hours of draining. Ill check the oil soon and hopefully it has maintained most of its colour.

What would you do if you found glitter?

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » June 7th, 2012, 6:51 pm

Using cheap oil in a diff is never good practice - it is subject to some pretty horrendous pressures between the Crownwheel & pinion teeth & poor quality oil there often means that microscopic flakes of metal where the two bearing surfaces touch end up getting welded together and one side peels off, leaving a small hole in that tooth & a corresponding small knob on the other tooth, only that's probly the last time they ever match - and from there on driving the car means you are chewing the teeth to bits!! Don't ever use cheap oil or oil of the wrong weight in your diff unless it is an absolute emergency - you won't be saving money in the long run & your long run might be a lot shorter than you think!!

Like I said earlier, use a good quality oil of the right weight and if you are worried about it, drain & refill with a good quality correct weight/spec oil sooner than the recommended period, it's cheap insurance. How much time, effort, and real cost has it taken you to get it back on the road?? Cheap oil is likely to mean you'll need to do that again much sooner than otherwise; while the right oil might cost a bit more now, but it may well mean you don't hafta rebuild it all again, let alone withing a couple of hundred or even thousand kms. You want it to last, look after it by using the right oil!! ;)

PS, glitter means tiny flakes of metal, see too many and you've got a problem that will eventually require a re-build, while chips & lumps of metal mean you need to do that re-build NOW!
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Return to “Driving Tips and Techniques”