What'd you learn the hard way?

Got some advice to share or a question to ask? Heres the place to do it!
Shann Low
Avid Poster

Re: What'd you learn the hard way?

Unread post by Shann Low » April 21st, 2015, 5:26 pm

I learned that F trucks are allergic to water! :lol: :irked:

Took Effie thru a shallow-ish (wheel hub height) creek crossing on the Whim Creek - Balla balla road - while retrieving my boat ahead of a approaching cyclone ~ 2008.

The pre - frontal rain made the usually dry creek bed run a little bit of water but nothing to really worry about, like I said wheel hub height, maybe an inch or two deeper on the left hand side.

Went thru fine.

But couple days later when I started her up, the 7.3 Diesel V8 was only running on 4 cylinders on one side of the V8. :eek:

8 months and $15K later, someone FINALLY worked out what was wrong & fixed it.

Turns out the F 250's have whats called a IDM (Injector Drive Module) i.e. mini computer, thats mounted up inside the left hand mudguard of all places (between inner and outer skin) - and this marvelous piece of electrical wizardry - tells the electrically controlled HEUI injectors when to fire via the main engine computer mounted inside the cab where the glove box would normally be on any other car!.

Well the electrical pin connectors on this IDM got wet, with the muddy red/brown water from the creek, and this water has some fine black magnetic stuff in it, that they now mine up there to make chrome vanadium steel, & these magnetic black granules all stuck to the electrical connector pins on the IDM and created a electrical path for them to all short out and not send the right signals to the main engine computer to fire the cylinders.

BUT, to find that out, required a computer program and dongle thingy from the USA (~$1K) to diagnose the fault to this IDM (new replacement, 'swap old for new' one ~$1500) that's hidden away between the inner and outer mudguard skin, so you'd never know it was there and suspect it as the culprit.

And why mount any vital electrical component so low down on the body near axle height - that the lowest water crossing will kill it?

8 months, 3 different repairers & $15K later, it's run like a champ ever since - but, I now know better than to take it anywhere near water deeper than the white letters on the tires!.

Ohh and I also found out, that my genuine FORD $2K 'extended warranty' - didn't cover ANY of the repair bill, AFTER Ford had given the various repairers "verbal approval" to go ahead with the repairs coz at the time they don't have a dealer in the Pilbara (nearest were Broome and Carnarvon).

When time came to pay? Washed their hands of it.

I often wonder about all these people buying the new Ford Rangers etc - how they will get on when something craps the bed at some remote spot! :rolleyes:

Won't ever do that again!. :rolleyes: (buy a Ford OR any of their extended warranty's that aren't worth the paper they are written on)!.

nilla60

Unread post by nilla60 » April 21st, 2015, 10:57 pm

These days I tend to pocket the money and take my chances with extended warranties unless it is to cover something specific. The vendors usually have more lawyers and accountants at their disposal than I do.

Oddmidge
Getting to know the place

Unread post by Oddmidge » April 24th, 2015, 1:03 pm

As someone relatively new to 4wd'ing theres something I learn't on the weekend, when approaching a bog hole with rutted walls, go slow. Not sorta slow, not slowish go friggin slow!

2 obliterated flares, cracked headlight cover and bent sidestep later I think I've learn't

kiran92
Been here a while

Unread post by kiran92 » May 14th, 2015, 4:16 pm

Odd; I learnt that scrub bars are a fantastic way to save your panels !
I work for my weekends... and damn it, I WILL enjoy them

Oddmidge

Unread post by Oddmidge » May 15th, 2015, 8:56 am

Aware of that one now Kiran, just gotta save some coin for them now. Taking it easy also helps a lot! Managed a trip up to Mount Terrible the other weekend, and back out through the horse trail with no damage whatsoever (the pathfinder by brother was driving unfortunately can't say the same)

vk3aif
Been here a while

Unread post by vk3aif » May 15th, 2015, 7:38 pm

Oddmidge,

What'd he learn then, out with it :)

Oddmidge

Unread post by Oddmidge » May 26th, 2015, 3:13 pm

He learnt that the pathfinder is better for taking the kids to soccer than taking nice rutted trails haha. He also learnt that taking the family car away hunting and coming back with panel damage will make his pregnant wife rather upset!

Robdeo
Avid Poster

Unread post by Robdeo » May 27th, 2015, 9:48 am

Ouch, that'll be hard indeed... Best check he is still alive mate.

kiran92
Been here a while

Unread post by kiran92 » June 5th, 2015, 8:37 am

*and Now we cross to our live coverage where the Victorian Police are investigating reports of a shooting*
I work for my weekends... and damn it, I WILL enjoy them

love_metal47
Here and there

Unread post by love_metal47 » February 9th, 2018, 8:38 pm

After heading out by myself for a easyish 4wd down a firetrail, I leaned not to drop down rock steps with a towbar on.
Gets caught up and when there are only 2 tires on the ground, you don't go far.

Return to “Driving Tips and Techniques”