View topic - 2012 T6 ranger Update 12/02/2011

2012 T6 ranger Update 12/02/2011

Re: 2012 T6 ranger Update 13/10/2010

Hippo_Racing wrote:..im thinking the 3.2 is gunna be a costly upgrade.... i really hope im wrong but i think it will be a premo engine and they will use the 2.2 in the base models

i'm guessing the 2.2L will be in the 2wd models and the 3.2L will be in the 4wd,
i really do not see ford/mazda downgrading the from 3l that they have now,
if any thing they will upgrade the engine.

Unread postby rolly82 » October 16th, 2010, 7:12 pm

Been here a while

rolly82 wrote:
Hippo_Racing wrote:..im thinking the 3.2 is gunna be a costly upgrade.... i really hope im wrong but i think it will be a premo engine and they will use the 2.2 in the base models

i'm guessing the 2.2L will be in the 2wd models and the 3.2L will be in the 4wd,

That is what i had been thinking, the 2.5L currently in or 2WD will be replaced with this new 2.2L and then the 4x4 variants will have the 3.2L as standard issue. They wont drop our 3.0L (115kW 380Nm) as the 2.2L has lower performance figures with 110kW and 375Nm.

Mimmo

Unread postby mimmo_gsr » October 16th, 2010, 7:52 pm

Been here a while

But the one at Sydney show was a 4x4 but it's got the 2.2 badge on the side I think so maybe the 3.2 will be an option.

Unread postby BMS » October 16th, 2010, 8:05 pm

Been here a while

disregard
Last edited by Hippo_Racing on October 16th, 2010, 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postby Hippo_Racing » October 16th, 2010, 11:20 pm

Been here a while

mimmo_gsr wrote:
rolly82 wrote:

That is what i had been thinking, the 2.5L currently in or 2WD will be replaced with this new 2.2L and then the 4x4 variants will have the 3.2L as standard issue. They wont drop our 3.0L (115kW 380Nm) as the 2.2L has lower performance figures with 110kW and 375Nm.

Mimmo

from what ive been told there will be

2.5L petrol 4x2
2.2l diesel 4x2 and 4x4
and
3.2l diesel 4x4

gearboxes is 5sp man for petrol motor and 6sp man and auto's for the diesels

the 2.5L petrol can run e100 flex fuel basically the same as what holden has just done with the commodore.

the 2.5 and 3.0 have been dumped, and replaced with euro sourced motors.

im personally not a fan of the motors they have chosen, they are basically the same breed out of the transit, the cost of parts on them motors is astronomical to say the least!

Unread postby Hippo_Racing » October 16th, 2010, 11:23 pm

Avid Poster

was at the show yesterday they have 3ton towing capacity no increase there for the manual but I guess the auto will get the 3 ton now meaning all the grey nomads will buy it. The chassis is alot bigger around the ute tub to cab area which has been a weak point on ours. The wheelbase is hugh so won't have the same offroad ramp over clearance as the current model a 4" lift and 32-33" tyres would be needed to clear the same.

I was thinking ranger was going to have the most torque in class until I walked into the nissan stand and there releasing in the narva and pathfinder a 3litre v6 diesel with 170kw and 550nm with a 7 speed auto.

Unread postby pmturnbull » October 17th, 2010, 7:46 am

so the 4x4 will have a 2.2L as standard but will have this new 3.2L
as a expensive option, yet the new narvara will have a 3L v6
as standard..lets see,

3L v6 with 170killa wasps & 550nm in the nissan
or
2.2L with 110killa wasps and 375Nm in the ranger
3.2L with 147 killa wasps and 470Nm
http://media.fordvehicles.com/article_d ... e_id=33375

well, going by those stats, i think i'll be getting a nissan next

Unread postby rolly82 » October 17th, 2010, 10:29 am

Been here a while

rolly82 wrote:so the 4x4 will have a 2.2L as standard but will have this new 3.2L
as a expensive option, yet the new narvara will have a 3L v6
as standard..lets see,

3L v6 with 170killa wasps & 550nm in the nissan
or
2.2L with 110killa wasps and 375Nm in the ranger
3.2L with 147 killa wasps and 470Nm
http://media.fordvehicles.com/article_d ... e_id=33375

well, going by those stats, i think i'll be getting a nissan next

i hope for there sakes its more reliable than the yd25 motor.....

Unread postby Hippo_Racing » October 17th, 2010, 11:04 am

Avid Poster

sorry mate I would say the v6 diesel in the narva will be only in the top of the range and be a option I know a guy who just paid $54000 for the top of the range narva so I would say the v6 diesel will be at least $60000

Unread postby pmturnbull » October 17th, 2010, 8:07 pm

Need to get out more

Future Models - Ford 2011 Ranger Ranger throws down the gauntlet

No compromise: Ford is confident that it has done everything possible to make its new Ranger leader of the pack.

Ford asserts its safety, dynamic and towing superiority for new-generation Ranger
18 October 2010
By BYRON MATHIOUDAKIS
MONTHS before anybody outside of the Blue Oval inner sanctum can drive a production-ready T6 Ranger, Ford is making bold claims about class-leading safety and on-road dynamics.

Australian-delivered T6s – made in Thailand – will have ESC stability control as standard, while side and side curtain airbags will be available “and affordable”, said a Ford spokesman.

Aided by a 20 per cent stiffer frame compared to the current Ranger, the newcomer is claimed to bring “bring new levels of safety” thanks to innovations like Trailer Sway Control and Adaptive Load Control that work with the ESC and anti-lock brakes to maintain control.

From top: Ford T6 engineering manager Stephen Presser, Ford group vice president of product development Derek Kuzak, Ford T6 vehicle line director Gary Boes.

Lap-sash seatbelts for all occupants and seatbelt warnings for those up front further underline the safety message, while a more pedestrian-friendly bonnet and optional rear-view camera provide additional protection for those in the immediate vicinity of the big Ford truck.

In terms of dynamics, an all-new chassis has been developed to provide both workhorse toughness and driving pleasure.

The traditional body-on-frame chassis construction, 230mm ground clearance, deeper water-fording capability than its competitors and up to 1500kg towing capacity take care of the workhorse aspect, while coil-over-shock front suspension, hydraulically powered rack-and-pinion steering, and a comprehensive rethink of the leaf-spring rear suspension system look are claimed to improve the driving.

Ford is saving the finer details for next year’s launch, but T6 engineering manager Stephan Presser told us it will be the best driving truck of its kind, adding that the new active safety aids enhance an already well-rounded vehicle.

With input from Mazda, the T6 was tested in built-up urban areas to improve manoeuvrability and control. One result is a reduced 11.8-metre turning circle (4x4 versions: 12.4m), while steering response is helped by having only 3.5 turns lock to lock.

Other comfort-related progressions over the old Ranger include tailored suspension tuning and ‘hydro’ mounts for the body to isolate movement and reduce noise/vibration/harshness.

A public stoush with Volkswagen Australia over claims of the Ranger’s towing capacity against the German manufacturer’s Amarok – another star debutante at last week’s Australian International Motor Show – highlights the importance of the Ranger to Ford.

Commencing three years ago as the largest automotive design and engineering export project ever undertaken in Australia, and partly funded by both the state and federal governments, the T6 became the first truck created through the One Ford global product development strategy.

Ford’s global product development chief, Derrick Kuzak, underlined the role played by Ford Australia.

“Our engineering team in Australia had full access to our global capabilities, testing facilities and, most importantly, pick-up truck knowledge in the entire Ford organisation,” said Mr Kuzak.

Though Mazda provided the platform chassis architecture for its BT-50 version, Ford led the design and vehicle engineering for both brands.

The Ranger Double Cab will be one of the most far-reaching models in the entire Ford stable, heading to over 180 markets globally, and will be joined by the still-secret Regular and Extended Cab versions, as well as an SUV five and/or seven-seater variant.

Only North America will miss out on the T6, instead staying with the F150 – the world’s best selling vehicle for over 33 years.

Mr Kuzak said Ford research worldwide shows that reliability is paramount.

“It has to be capable and reliable like no other product we have, because if the truck has downtime our customers can’t do their jobs.”

Ford is so confident of its new truck terms like “world class” are being applied to the way it works and plays.

T6 vehicle line director Gary Boes said the new Ranger was “a no-compromise project that takes advantage of Ford’s tremendous global pickup truck design and engineering expertise”.

“We set out not only to meet the expectations of today’s buyers but to exceed those expectations,” said Mr Boes. “That’s why we believe so strongly that the market will recognise that this truck stands for leadership.

“It has personality; it has Ford DNA and feels like a Ford; it looks pretty big but it is nimble and it sure is fun to drive.”

Unread postby BFT RANGER » October 18th, 2010, 11:28 pm

Need to get out more

Ranger no danger to Falcon ute

Room for two: Ford says the Ranger and Falcon utes will not compete as they appeal to different types of buyer.

Ford says there is room for two prosperous pick-ups in its product portfolio
18 October 2010
By BYRON MATHIOUDAKIS
FORD has baulked at fears that its 2011 T6 Ranger series will pose a threat to Falcon utility sales.

Ford Australia president Marin Burela assured the media at the unveiling of the new-generation Ranger that the Falcon utility attracts a different type of buyer than the one-tonne truck and will not cannibalise sales.

“They are different customer groups,” said Mr Burela.

“The Falcon customer’s needs are very specific – and they’ve been a very loyal customer to the traditional Australian ute.

Left: Ford Falcon ute. Below: Ford Australia president Marin Burela.

“It was designed to meet two differing spectrums – workhorse and lifestyle – and it has been very successful at it… so we don’t see any significant overlap. There will always be some… but it is a very different vehicle for a very different customer.”

Asked if the new Ranger’s claimed comfort and driving-orientated characteristics will prompt Ford to develop a different type of Falcon utility in the future – perhaps one that is more coupe-like in the style of the Holden VE ute – Mr Burela said it is far too early for such decisions.

However, the Ford boss did admit that his company is open to change in order to keep up with consumer preferences in the one-tonne pick-up market.

“Ultimately, what guides us is the customer. We are so paranoid about where the consumers are going, because that’s where we also need to be. We do not do this for ourselves, we do this because there are a group of people out there who are saying: ‘This is what we need’, and it is the same for all of our product around the world.”

Ford Australia is banking on enough customers to sustain both Falcon and Ranger. The latter has risen in the ranks over the last few years to top the Territory and Focus as the Blue Oval’s number two nameplate after Falcon.

“We haven’t been a dominant player in Asia Pacific over the last 10 years, but we have sold in the region of 800,000 Rangers in the last 10 to 12 years.

“It is the second-highest-selling nameplate after Falcon (in Australia), and yet we know that the opportunities to grow and focus on it are very exciting for us, particularly in the area of workhorse and the other lifestyle vehicles. And this vehicle gives us the bookends for us to play in both.

“We’re now waiting for this thing to hit the market, and we’re very confident.

“Great news for us also is that the design and development of the Ranger allows us flexibility to deliver (the appropriate model according to changes in demand).

“We started on a journey with customers a long, long time ago, and our design team have been absolutely tuned into what these customers want.”

Unread postby BFT RANGER » October 18th, 2010, 11:30 pm

Need to get out more

Re: 2012 T6 ranger Update 18/10/2010

Ford Ranger: form follows function

Workhorse: Ford Ranger designers were inspired by power tools and protective sportswear.

Scoring class-best cabin space in tough but modern package determined Ford T6 design
18 October 2010
By BYRON MATHIOUDAKIS
ACHIEVING a balance between the toughness of an F150 truck and the Kinetic design language of contemporary Fords such as the Fiesta and Mondeo was the biggest challenge facing the design team behind the T6 Ranger.

Larger in every direction than its ageing Mazda Bravo-based predecessor, Ford’s new one-tonne truck was designed at Broadmeadows and overseen by American Craig Metros, a 24-year Ford veteran who worked on the 1996 Jaguar XK, Ford F150, Ford Escape and even some Mazdas.

However, while there was a Mazda team also based at Ford’s Australian headquarters creating the BT-50 version, the two brands worked independently, if not separately.

Left: Ford Ranger. Below: Ford Ranger chief designer Craig Metros, Ford Asia Pacific and Africa director of design Christopher Svensson.

“We worked together,” Mr Metros said. “We knew what they were doing.

“Like Ford, Mazda had a clear strategy. We were working with similar engineering information, but from a design standpoint we basically worked separately. Everything you can see is unique.”

Externally, only the windscreen is shared with the BT-50, although much of the underpinnings are common between the one-tonne cousins.

The recently installed director of design for Ford Asia Pacific and Africa, Christopher Svensson, said Ford’s design modus operandi incorporates a ‘pre-design’ phase that involves indentifying the target audience and spending as much time with them to ascertain their needs, wants and desires, even before a pen touches paper.

“We have a pre-program start, which is a lot of designers attending events with the customer, living with the customer, going to work with the customer, driving with the customer, using the product with the customer,” said Mr Svensson.

“It’s to ascertain what they want and what they expect from the next-generation vehicle. And that’s really important for us to understand that.”

While Mr Svensson agreed that Ford does keep an eye on competition like the Toyota HiLux, Nissan Navara and Mitsubishi Triton, they did not want to copy them.

Commencing three and a half years ago, the styling took about 18 months to go from sketch to design freeze.

Ford aimed to impart “a powerful stance and confident proportions” for a “21st century tough character” – a brief that required a balancing act between American F150 aggression and the softer organic lines of the Ranger’s mainly Asian competitors.

“With the F150, the design is really geometrical, almost grid-like; we tried to break that with the Ranger, to make it a bit more fluid and, well, almost organic,” said Mr Metros.

One of the most important elements to get right was the grille, which brandishes Ford’s trademark three-bar truck ‘face’, but set against the modernity of a clamshell bonnet, chamfered headlights and integrated flared wheel arches.

“The three-bar grille was chosen because of its tough look; it resonated well with customers. With trucks in general, it’s the face (that matters); it has a lot to do with proportions. We did a lot of investigations with customers… and anything that was proportionally too close to a car just didn’t resonate.”

Aerodynamics played a big role in the small detailing and the steeply raked windscreen was pivotal to Ford’s goal of creating a truck that looks like it is on the move.

A pick-up is about the box out back and buyers in this segment demand practicality and capacity efficiency, according to Mr Metros, so going for a regular square design with high walls (possible via the extension of the cabin’s shoulder-line up-kink) was a no-brainer.

“The box really dictates everything,” he said. “It’s a pick-up truck (after all), so the box is a standard sizing you can work around and pretty much sets up the cab.

“We were going after best-in-class packaging with the cab, and some of those hard parameters were almost set, so we just worked on the details.”

Mr Metros said customer clinics showed that people didn’t like curvier rear box designs such as the one found on the Triton.

“They didn’t get it; they would see this curved box and think that it didn’t have the capability of a box like the Ranger’s.”

There was more freedom available creating the interior, but Ford was not interested in emulating a passenger car’s interior, despite the desire to infuse the feeling of functionality, quality, style and comfort.

The company looked beyond the automotive industry for inspiration, and Mr Metros name-checks DeWalt and Bosch power tools and the Casio G-Shock watch as influences, which is clearly visible in the cladding-like casing themes that feature throughout the dash and other interior elements.

“We also looked at body armour for motocross and snowboard boots as influences and inspiration for the way other products handle surface development, handle graphics, handle the layout of switches and other functional bits,” Mr Metros added.

Ford APA interior design manager Peter Jones said the overall look of the cabin revealed a subtle psychological effect leveraging trusted items from other industries within an automotive context.

“The real-world perception of what those products represent is important,” said Mr Jones. “You don’t want a power tool that is going to fail – it needs to look like it’s going to do the job – and I think that’s what we’ve delivered with Ranger.

“From all of the research that we have done, we know that customers still want a truck. But they want car comfort, car quality and car features. And they’re the things that we have delivered.”

Unread postby BFT RANGER » October 18th, 2010, 11:35 pm

Here and there

The Ranger at the motor show was a mock up, it had timber in parts of it frame. It had no motor gearbox etc. It did look good and was badged as XLT and had 18 inch wheels! Not sure if that's good. I think its going to be a big seller.
The BT 50 did not look good and I don't know if anyone will make a steel bull bar for it as the shape of the gill and headlights would make it difficult. The BT was a drivable 4wd but Mazda would not show us the interior as they said it will be different to the production model, I suspect it had a ranger interior. I noted a Plastic fuel tank a massive front torsion bar and a coil spring front end and 17 inch wheels on the Mazda. Both these have lots of room for bigger tyres, but i suspect the front mud flaps will again be limiting factor. The Ford had 265 60 18 tyres = 30.52 inches.
I also noted the V6 3ltr diesel Navara. hmmm..

Unread postby 2kelpies » October 20th, 2010, 10:03 am

Need to get out more

From the My Ford mag

Unread postby BFT RANGER » December 15th, 2010, 12:45 pm

Been here a while

All I want and need to know now is when are these things going to be available so we
can dive away in one :thumb:

Anyone know when they're due for release I've heard maybe July/August but our local
dealer reckons not until the end of the year :confused:

Unread postby BMS » December 23rd, 2010, 4:49 pm

PreviousNext

Return to PJ/PK Ranger / Old BT50