Ranger/BT50 workshop "tips and techniques"

BFT RANGER
Need to get out more

Ranger/BT50 workshop "tips and techniques"

Unread post by BFT RANGER » July 15th, 2010, 1:12 pm

Ranger/BT50 Mod to get Low Range 2WD.
Ok this is the Mod I have one to my Ranger so has to use Low range 2 wheel drive for backing a caravan etc.

there's 2 relay's under the bonnet on the left side of the brake booster. 1 plug is black=free solenoid and the other plug is Blue=Lock solenoid.

I did the following mod.
#1-Cut the red wire back about 100mm from the blue plug.
#2- Run a length of 3mm twin core wire from driver side foot well into engine compartment.
#3- place shrink wrap over the wires before soldeing each end of cut Red wire to one of each of the twin core wires, and then cover the soldered joins after soldering with the shrink wrap.
#4-Using a Narva rocker switch #63020BL with amber LED, run an earth wire to ground the switch and run the twin core wires to the switch Power & Acc poles.
#5- To Test. Start the Ute. The Led on Rocker switch will light up if it is in the On position.
Move the 4WD lever to 4WD, the Rocker switch Led will turn OFF.
Move forward to engage RFW (Remote Free Wheel hubs) and the RFW light on the dash will light up.
This will give you 4 wheel drive.
Now move the 4WD lever back to 2WD and disengage the RFW switch so the dash light goes out.

To Select 2WD Low Range.
Turn the Rocker switch OFF (LED OFF).
Move 4WD lever to Low Range and move the ute forwards, the RFW light will not come ON. This will give you 2 Wheel Drive Low Range.
When you reselect 2WD High Range, turn the rocker switch back on. This will sometimes bring the RFW light on so just push the RFW button again to turn it OFF.

Cheers
Millsy
Tuned by CRISPMODS

http://www.crosscountry4wd.com/

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Ranger-BT50-owners/243230605704611

BFT RANGER
Need to get out more

Unread post by BFT RANGER » July 18th, 2010, 12:08 pm

Picture of the Ford RFW system.
Tuned by CRISPMODS

BFT RANGER
Need to get out more

Unread post by BFT RANGER » July 18th, 2010, 2:44 pm

cost around $700. from a good contact at a ford dealer.
Tuned by CRISPMODS

rodsprint
I'm new, be nice!

Re: Ranger/BT50 Mod to get Low Range 2WD.

Unread post by rodsprint » September 9th, 2010, 11:01 am

I may be missing something, but why not use 4x4 low

BFT RANGER
Need to get out more

Re: Ranger/BT50 Mod to get Low Range 2WD.

Unread post by BFT RANGER » September 9th, 2010, 2:49 pm

When you are trying to back a Caravan etc it makes it easy to steer the vehicle and you don't end up with transmission wind-up.

BFT RANGER
Need to get out more

Re: Ford DTC Codes

Unread post by BFT RANGER » September 19th, 2010, 8:08 pm

For those that are running a Scangauge etc and have the engine light come on can retrieve the fault code # and with this list can see what and were to start looking.

ranger2452
Need to get out more

Re: Ford DTC Codes

Unread post by ranger2452 » September 21st, 2010, 4:30 pm

is it a good idea to get a scangauge??
W.A .......whingers anonymous
Coffs harbour.....4wd capital of the WORLD
Ranger2452 aka rebadgedmazda2452

Jaytee7
Been here a while

Small maintenance job gives big bonus

Unread post by Jaytee7 » November 29th, 2010, 8:54 pm

Cleaning MAF & MAP sensors

Hi guys I decided to clean my MAF & MAP sensors the other day. Mainly because I wanted to see how dirty the inlet manifold was.
There was a thin smear of oily carbon all over the inlet manifold and sensor. I wasn't expecting it to be that wet. I'm glad that I installed the Pro-Vent 200 filter a few weeks back, it should solve this problem. See link below.

http://www.mann-hummel.com/company/inde ... rec_no=192

Any way getting back to the point I sprayed both sensors with MAF cleaning fluid made by CRC. After replacing the sensors I decided to disconnect the battery for 30 minutes. Thinking that if the MAF sensor has a learning function and according to the training manual it does. That this might cause the PCM to reset back to factory settings. I spoke to my friendly service manager about this this morning and he said that they never re program the MAF sensor. That they only replace it when faulty.

Well something certainly changed because the car runs so much quieter and very smooth even when cold and the turbo doesn't boost quite so high (according to my scangauge) The MAP is also called the boost sensor.

When I picked up my mate (he owns a 08 Ranger) the first thing he asked was "what have you done to the car". So I said why, he said "I can't believe how quiet it is".
Needless to say we are going to do the same thing to his Ranger later this week. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Now I'm not suggesting that the clean sensors have caused this change. It must be the computer resetting or maybe a combination of both.

If you want to try this for your self it's quite easy. Just don't touch the hot wire on the MAF they are very sensitive. Or any other element.
Only use a MAF cleaner and follow the instructions on the can, carburettor cleaner is too strong.

Jaytee :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Jaytee7 on December 5th, 2010, 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seedyj
Been here a while

Re: Small maintenance job gives big bonus

Unread post by seedyj » November 29th, 2010, 9:04 pm

Dealers do a MAF learning at 20,000 service intervals through there scan tool.

Jaytee7
Been here a while

Unread post by Jaytee7 » November 29th, 2010, 9:17 pm

Hi seedyj, that's why I called my dealer this morning, thinking that I would have to get it re done. He didn't seem to know much about it and said that it would be ok.

Jaytee

BFT RANGER
Need to get out more

Unread post by BFT RANGER » November 29th, 2010, 10:12 pm

Well done Jaytee. yet another great tip from you.
My Ranger's due for a 60,000K service and will carry out this maintenance tip.
Tuned by CRISPMODS

bozo21
Part of the furniture

Unread post by bozo21 » November 29th, 2010, 11:55 pm

Yep another good little tip there mate, just one question though.

Do ya only spray the elements or the whole thing. I take it ya stay clear off the hot wire?

Now to hunt down some of this MAF cleaner.
Cheers

Jaytee7
Been here a while

Unread post by Jaytee7 » November 30th, 2010, 12:47 am

Hi bozo, you can spray the whole thing if it's really dirty.
The cleaner evaporates within seconds, just keep giving it another blast until clean.
It's probably a good idea not to have the sensor up side down. This way it won't pool inside the sensor. you can also use a very soft spray of compressed air to make sure it's totally dry before re installing.

Both sensors have duel functions.
MAF.....mass air flow.....2nd air intake temp
MAP.....1st air intake temp.....manifold absolute pressure

Supercheap auto sells it for $17.49

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/search ... er&look=GO

hope this helps.

Jaytee

2kelpies
Here and there

Unread post by 2kelpies » December 3rd, 2010, 5:08 pm

Holy crap I just had a look at the MAP sensor and it was like pulling out a black cotton bud. I don't see how it could be sensing anything. I gave it a good clean and am trying the battery disconnect as well. My ute has 40000 kms and I think the I will do this every 10000. Thanks for the tip. Much appreciated.

Jaytee7
Been here a while

Unread post by Jaytee7 » December 4th, 2010, 12:23 am

2kelpies wrote:Holy crap I just had a look at the MAP sensor and it was like pulling out a black cotton bud. I don't see how it could be sensing anything. I gave it a good clean and am trying the battery disconnect as well. My ute has 40000 kms and I think the I will do this every 10000. Thanks for the tip. Much appreciated.
Hi 2kelpies, in order for the car to run at its optimum , the PCM (powertrain control module) needs accurate information (data) from its sensors. This is why they gave the MAF sensor a learning function. I'm not sure why they do this instead of just giving it a clean. I have just taken my BT back to the dealer to have this done. The re learning that is. They even allowed me in to the workshop to watch them do it. My Mazda dealer is always very helpful and they know that I'm extremely fussy. Basically the computer reads the values at three different minimum engine speeds 750, 1850, 2500 rpm. The interesting thing about the MAF is that it only ever gets very fine particles of dust on it, under normal driving conditions. The MAP however gets covered with oil vapours from the crankcase ventilation and carbon from the EGR. It doesn't take long before this builds up, as you have just seen for yourself.

I cleaned the MAF and MAP sensors on my mates Ranger yesterday. Also disconnected the battery for a few hours. The Map had a thick coating of carbon on it and you couldn't even see the element. It wasn't as wet with oil as mine was, maybe because there was a lot more carbon in there. His Ranger has done almost 40,000 k, my BT only has 22,000 on the clock.

He told me on the phone tonight, that the car is more responsive, quite smooth and it doesn't knock so much. He was amazed to see that amount of carbon on the MAP, the car is only 2 years old. But that's the nature of a diesel engine, heaps of power and loads of soot.

The BT50/Ranger uses a Variable Geometry Turbocharger, which controls the boost pressure in the inlet manifold, by adjusting the blades on the turbo. You need a clean MAP (boost) sensor for this to function correctly. I have noticed that my turbo doesn't boost as high now that I have cleaned the sensor.

Glad to have helped :)
Jaytee

Return to “PJ/PK Ranger / Old BT50”