Takata air bag replacement

cbd
Here and there

Takata air bag replacement

Unread post by cbd » June 1st, 2018, 7:15 am

G'day
https://www.productsafety.gov.au/recall ... calls-list
It's all the PJs for replacement of the Takata air bags. I received my letter and contacted my local Ford Service Centre.
I needed my car for work so they offered to push my car though. Took only an hour. Neat job, thanks Ford.
Shame really that this has happened, as the car manufacturers have been left to foot the bill, and it's not just Ford.

Cyclone Ranger
I'm new, be nice!

Re: Takata air bag replacement

Unread post by Cyclone Ranger » August 5th, 2018, 5:46 am

Hi Guys,

This is the biggest Ford SHAMOZZLE I've ever been involved in!!
First, when I went to book my car in for the recall they told me it was a minimum of 3 week wait!!
Second, they only had appointments for week days which meant I needed a loan car to get backwards and forwards for work!!
Third, No loan car for you!! That's only for customers having their cars serviced!! I said to them, hold on a minute, you guys can't do this when it suits me, I've got to do it when it suits you, it's your ***** up, and I can't have a loan car!!
Fourth, to have this done, I had to use my wife's car to get backwards and forwards to work which meant the wife had to borrow a friends car so she could get backwards and forwards to work and the friend didn't have her car for the day!!!!

Conclusion: TOTAL INCONVENIENCE FOR EVERYBODY EXCEPT FORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted:

fleetwood
Been here a while

Unread post by fleetwood » August 5th, 2018, 10:54 am

Got my letter & called them last week... Couldn't book me in till 5th of September, basically 5 weeks..... Then said they'd need car for 3 hours minimum.

Saw guy from ACCC interviewed couple of days ago on the issue. He said when you have been notified by letter you must no longer drive until it's replaced... EVEN to the service center.

He said the dealership should be told they need to come & collect it.... Fat chance!

fleetwood
Been here a while

Unread post by fleetwood » September 5th, 2018, 10:18 am

So I've dropped PJ ranger into dealership to get takata airbag done as per recall notice..

Just got a PH call telling me that they reckon the clock coil spring is on the way out & needs replacing..... Total cost $650!!... 1.5 Hrs to fit!! & $400 something for the part

If it breaks he said the airbag & horn won't work.... Anybody else had this???.... Am I being ripped at that price??

Cheers

desertfrog
Here and there

Unread post by desertfrog » September 11th, 2018, 6:45 pm

What a massive load of BS. Absolute BS.
Dealerships get a fixed rate for conducting recalls.
This is nothing more more than an up sell.
There is no way to tell is the clock spring is onthe way out. If the horn works and there are no air bag fault lights ( if there is a fault this is will definitely be on your dash) then this is an up sell.
I know this as I have worked at dealerships.
Nissan’s Crank and cam sensor recall barely covered the labor the dealership received.
Toyota’s Camry dash board change outs( due to poor glue ) and the vacuum pump recall on 1HZ engines were not profitable for the dealers.
You experienced an up sell.
Unfortunately you are now stuck with your agreed purchase.
Be aware of the up sell.
If walks like a duck and sounds like a duck ...........

desertfrog
Here and there

Unread post by desertfrog » September 11th, 2018, 6:47 pm

Have you read about clock spring change out on this forum.

Do a search There is nothing.

Is it smells like ***** .................

fleetwood
Been here a while

Unread post by fleetwood » September 13th, 2018, 10:56 pm

Thanks guys...

Well I refused to have clock spring replaced..... Spoke to a service manager at another dealership & was told they don't need to touch the spring to replace AB. It's in a sealed unit so no way of seeing if it's damaged or not.... Said they almost never break & can only be broken if you undo the steering column at both ends & twist it beyond it's limits or similar..

Anyway, I go to pick it up & the air bag light is on (no AB light when left with them).... The guy then tells me that because I had refused the repair they will now need me to sign a document confirming that they had notified me of the fault & I had refused a replacement... Basically a note to indemnify them...

I'm afraid I lost my sh*t with this bloke... Told him that not only was I NOT signing their crap, but I would be leaving it there until they returned it in the same roadworthy condition as I had left it.... He said he would speak to customer relations about it & I stormed out..

2 Hours later I get a phone call telling me that Ford has decided to repair the spring at their cost, just this once as a goodwill gesture...

My guess is they had some unsupervised 1st year apprentice doing the job, F'd it up & then someone higher up decided they were going to try to have me wear the cost... ABSOLUTELY BLOODY CRIMINAL in every sense of the word...

Be VERY careful taking your vehicle in for this air bag recall!

Return to “PJ/PK Ranger / Old BT50”