2003 Mazda B2500F front engine oil seal leaking- again !

terry1963
I'm new, be nice!

2003 Mazda B2500F front engine oil seal leaking- again !

Unread post by terry1963 » May 17th, 2018, 8:59 pm

Hi everyone. I have had a mechanic replace my front engine oil seal to get through a roadworthy. (I am buying the vehicle from a friend and offered to do the roadworthy) Unfortunately the new seal didn't work and I took the vehicle back again. The mechanic in good faith replaced the engine oil seal again. Again the seal failed. I have now taken it back for a third time and this time they did a bit of experimenting to try and figure what the issue is. They used genuine seals, tried different makes of harmonic balancers, but still no luck.
They did some pressure testing on the motor and are now of the opinion that the motor is building up excessive pressure and forcing that pressure out through the seal - causing the leak.
They have removed three of the injectors and they all seem fine. The fourth injector is frozen and the mechanic wasn't game to exert any more pressure in case of snapping it off. The mechanic thinks that the injector could be stuck hard due to carbon build up which possibly could be attributed to the excessive pressure build up.
I am now at the point of trying to figure out if I should keep spending money on the vehicle. I was hoping that someone out there understands this issue and can provide an insight into what's going on.
I have also noticed that the vehicle has very bad fuel consumption - around 8 klms per litre.

Thanks in advance if anyone has any advice.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: 2003 Mazda B2500F front engine oil seal leaking- again !

Unread post by Peter Aawen » May 17th, 2018, 11:08 pm

Hi Terry, welcome to the Forum. :thumb:

Given the info you've provided, and without any real knowledge beyond that or of the mechanic doing the job, I'd suggest that what you tell us he says is probably a pretty reasonable take on it all.... which pretty much sucks! And that'd be why you are getting such crappy fuel economy too!! Running with 1 cylinder down wouldn't be great for your engine's power either! Plus, if you've got a cylinder choked up so much you can't get the injector out, and yet the engine isn't hammering itself to bits due to a high compression misfire, it suggests the rings & seals are stuffed and that's how you are getting compression pressures into the sump!! So that all adds up; but it still doesn't answer the question of whether the engine is rebuildable at all.

Maybe you could try one of the proprietary De-Carbonisation methods (fluids or sonic or whatever) but I wouldn't spend too much on it; if you can get that injector out, you might be able to get some more definitive info on where & how to proceed, but it will most likely reveal that the engine is truly stuffed instead of just maybe stuffed.... If you like the vehicle otherwise, & it's all in pretty good nick/got the mods you want on it, then you will probably be best off to source a replacement engine - there are quite a few of those vehicles around now, & there's likely to be some fairly low milage AUSSIE sourced replacements or wrecker engines that could provide a straight swap, but I certainly wouldn't waste money on a questionable Jap import, no matter how great you might be told it is!! There's just too much that COULD be different & make a swap difficult; & since there's no point in keeping them running for 100,000 km where they come from, many get absolutely NO servicing during their working life, so any Jap import is likely to be dodgy at best, even with a warranty!!

Over to you, it's gotta be your call on it all, but I do seriously think that engine may be a boat anchor just waiting for you to get it out to sea! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

terry1963
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by terry1963 » May 21st, 2018, 9:32 pm

Thanks Peter - not what I wanted to hear but appreciate the honesty.

terry1963
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by terry1963 » May 23rd, 2018, 9:35 pm

Any suggestions as to reputable dealers that sell Australian replacement motors for my Mazda B2500F. Alternatively is there a way of getting a message out to wreckers asking if they have motors ?

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » May 24th, 2018, 12:26 am

Any reputable wrecker will be on one of the National Hotlines, so you only need to see one wrecker & ask them, & if they haven't got one themselves, they should put it on the hotline & go national. The hard bit is get across to them that you DO NOT want a Jap sourced replacement, but a used Aussie engine.... all you can do about that is to ask & then stick to your guns!! :cool:

Another thing you might do is to check with your local Mazda Dealer or a reputable repair place - sometimes you can find the manufacturers selling a batch of new 'old stock' spares, especially for vehicles that are getting a bit older & may be close to being no longer on the mandated 'must maintain spares' list - manufacturers must keep & make available spares for vehicles they've sold in Aus for certain periods, & once they start reaching the end of that period (usually about 10-15 years from the last 'sold new' date) they tend to start divesting themselves of their big stockpiles of potential warranty replacements & spares rather than keeping them in inventory & paying to continue to warehouse & maintain them. Who knows, you might be able to get a 'new Old Stock' crate motor at cost, then just bolt your auxiliaries on, fit it up to a gearbox, & drive on for the next 500,000 km!! Could be worth asking your local dealer or a trusted spares outlet?!? ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

terry1963
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by terry1963 » May 25th, 2018, 6:53 am

Cheer mate.

Return to “PJ/PK Ranger / Old BT50”