PJ Ranger Hi-rider Front Wheels Bearings - what Torque is Needed?

jcsaws
Getting to know the place

PJ Ranger Hi-rider Front Wheels Bearings - what Torque is Needed?

Unread post by jcsaws » April 25th, 2018, 11:46 am

Hi
Does any one have the correct torque for a PJ Ranger front wheel bearing on a 3lt Hi-ride 2x4? The workshop manual info on Dropbox only shows 2x4 2.5lt standard height which uses the tapered bearing on a std stub axle like a trailer, 11nm. The Repco workshop web help page that a mate looked up had 200 to 314nm, but that's for the drive shaft. So, expecting that the 34mm nut would be bloody tight, I got a 2ft pipe on my Sidchrome breaker bar - but it wasn't 250 nm. Any help please? I need the info today if possible. Using CBC bearing kit - FM123KIT.
Will post pic soon.
Cheers
JC

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: PJ Ranger Hi-rider Front Wheels Bearings - what Torque is Needed?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » April 25th, 2018, 7:08 pm

SKF Bearings publish a PDF (457377) that pretty much shows most of their wheel bearings needing 220-305nM or something close.... dunno if that's early enough to be of any help to you?! But it's a good start, altho it is definitely still worth checking! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

jcsaws
Getting to know the place

Re: PJ Ranger Hi-rider Front Wheels Bearings - what Torque is Needed?

Unread post by jcsaws » April 26th, 2018, 8:05 pm

Thanks Peter
I did it back up to the notch on the nut. It went past the max on my torque wrench. so most likely up over 200nm.
If i open this forum on phone i cant load pics, but will keep trying.
For anyone with bearing noise, it was my thought it was the diff again. It only was evident after taking the wheel and brake rotor off that it appeared a bit noisy. It was very dry.
Cheers
JC

Return to “PJ/PK Ranger / Old BT50”