Ranger LSD needs a rebuild - any recommendations?

FINRanger
I'm new, be nice!

Ranger LSD needs a rebuild - any recommendations?

Unread post by FINRanger » March 26th, 2018, 6:00 pm

Hi, new member from Finland here...

I have a 2007 Ranger with 2.5TDCi engine.
It seems that rear LSD is busted, at least there is no preload whatsoever anymore. I've seen one seller at eBay who sells "heavy duty" rebuild kits.

Unfortunately it seems that he (or she) doesn't ship to Finland. I haven't found any rebuild kits from EU or Scandinavia, it sucks that these cars are quite common and popular here but you can't get any aftermarket LSD's or lockers :rolleyes: ...

Anyway, my question is that does someone know a dealer who sells rebuild kits AND would ship to Finland? And another question, is it worth it or should I look for Torsen-style LSD or a locker?

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Ranger LSD needs a rebuild - any recommendations?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » March 26th, 2018, 6:49 pm

An LSD is still only a Slip LIMITING Device, so it actually NEEDS some wheelspin from a wheel with little or no traction to generate any transfer of drive across to a wheel with traction, & even then it's never going to achieve much better than 45% drive transfer (50/50 share minus mechanical losses); but with the rear diff housing stuffed with a Detroit Locker, which is a proper 'automatic diff lock' that still allows you to turn without any more concern than that you'd get from a good LSD, but one that still provides 100% drive to any wheel with traction, you'll go a helluva lot further..... :thumb:

I don't know for sure if Detroit Lockers are readily available in Finland, but they are sold pretty much around the world by Eaton as a traction improvement aid for trucks, 4WD's, race vehicles, street & strip machines, Police, Ambulance, Fire Trucks, & all sorts of other First Responders or vehicles that just MUST get thru!! They sell here in Aust thru Eaton & Harrop Engineering, as well as via Locked Drive Systems for heavy vehicles & Opposite Lock for 4WD's, and there are even places (some OL outlets) that will modify one of the Detroit Locked Diff Centres to take drive flanges to suit vehicles that don't specifically have a Detroit already made for them!! I've had a few made for quite rare vehicles. They basically replace the entire diff centre (but use the original Crown-wheel & pinion, same bearings, oil, & service intervals tho) with a much stronger centre, often in a forged/machined casing that just bolts in, and you get a much stronger diff that provides 100% drive to whatever wheel remains on the ground!

Look them up - try Eaton Traction Aids then Detroit Locker or maybe Detroit Soft-Locker, or just try thd Detroit Locker bits directly; they are seriously the ultimate in full on traction that smooooothly allows one side of a diff to disengage if that wheel gets ground driven faster while you are turning in order to allow normal steering & lane changing etc but still allows the diff to provide the ultimate in traction on slippery surfaces; or you could even try one of their E-lockers, a switched locker; or maybe their Detroit Tru-Trak, a spiral geared Torque Sensing diff that's probably one of the best Torsen type LSD's on the market - they even make full spools & various mixes of mechanical/electrical lockers added to a Torsen or Tru-Trak diff centre!

Me, I've been running Detroits in the rear of all my 2 & 4WD vehicles since about the mid/late 1960's, and they've only got better & smoother & more impressive over the years, so much so that the only time I ever need to look back now is to see where everyone else got stuck when I kept gojng!! Heck, even my aged Mum in a Pathfinder with a Detroit in the rear diff & mildly All-Terrain tyres could get further than just about any fully kitted out twin manually locked 4By running aggressive muddies in the slipperiest of conditions - I'm pretty sure she used to go out on purpose just to show up the local 4By wannabees on Gorrilla Snot Hill by waiting until they all couldn't drive up it or they'd slid off into a tree or the ditch or just given up & then she'd toddle up & basically idle all the way to the top of this steep & REALLY SLIPPERY hill that had 'em all flummoxed - a tiny little old lady in what looked like a stock as a rock soft roader just showed them all up! And she'd enjoy taking pics of their dumfounded & astounded faces at being out driven by a little old lady!! And if anyone ever asks, THAT's where I get my 'mildly nasty' streak from!! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

FINRanger
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by FINRanger » April 3rd, 2018, 1:01 am

Well, after some research it seems that my only options are either to get an ARB or tighten the clutch pack.
Detroit locker would be great, but it's unavailable here and I'm under impression that they don't have a model for this car anyway.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » April 3rd, 2018, 1:33 am

It doesn't matter if a Detroit Locker to suit your specific vehicle isn't already a 'stock line' at Eaton; if they have a diff centre with the same crown wheel diameter as your vehicle ( and it's almost 100% certain that they WILL!!) then just about any competent engineering/parts manufacturer can drill it to fit your OE crown wheel & if they can also make a gear, they'll be able to make up the right sized & splined side gears to fit onto your OE axles - there are a number of places here in Aust that can & do actually do this - which generally means that no matter what the vehicle, no matter that there isn't a Detroit specifically 'made' to suit your model, regardless, you too can end up with a full on Detroit Locker, usually for not much more than it'd cost you to buy the complete ARB Air Locker & compressor etc!! (unless you bought your Air Locker in the States, where they seemingly retail very cheaply; or unless you get suckered in by one of the non-genuine & really crappy cheap o/seas made knock-offs! Hmm, Air Lockers DO sell very cheaply in the USA, don't they?!? Surely not!! :eek: ) And it does give you significantly improved traction ALL the time, too!! :thumb:

I've had a number of Detroits 'specially made' to suit my various 'not catered for' vehicles this way over the years, altho the last one was about 6 -7 years ago now; but I suggest this to a lot of people all over the world, and most very quickly find someone that will do this for them. I think Harrop, the Eaton importers in Aust, even do this themselves - so EVERYONE can get a Detroit for their vehicle, even if there isn't already one on the shelf! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

FINRanger
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by FINRanger » May 7th, 2018, 11:04 pm

Does anyone know would this unit fit into my car: https://www.ebay.com/itm/PJ-PK-Ford-Ran ... Swl9BWKbbw ?

Title says it's for 3lt Ranger, does it have different rear diff than 2.5TDCi Ranger?
I sent message to the seller but haven't got response yet...

Of course it's not as good as automatic locker or E-lock/ARB, but it's half the price and I guess it would be an big improvement to stock clutch-pack LSD.

Return to “PJ/PK Ranger / Old BT50”